Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I'm 85 Where did my crit rating go?

I've been 85 for two days now and accumulating better gear with badges and dungeons runs, but my crit rating is barely reaching 20%. Maybe I was just spoiled by having 43% crit self buffed previously, but this seems really low. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I've gone to Frost for both questing and instances now due to the crit situation. It would seem like fire would be gimped by having that low a crit rating. I tried frost, fire and arcane in the dungeon runs and frost has been working out the best for me and people appreciate the utility. I lean towards fire, but I can be happy with frost. I'm hoping that crit will scale better as I get more gear. I'm thinking about reforging everything I can to crit. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to wait out new gear before going back to fire.
    Last edited by mgjr; 2010-12-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: I forgot to ask about reforging to crit

Deleted
    because you need a much higher crit number to equal the same percentage as before. take a low level for example: a level 1 with heirlooms could easily have 100% crit with heirlooms but as you level, it goes down. the same as happened here. as we've levelled from 80 to 85 the crit on the gear has not scaled with it, hence the lower percentage.

my DK only has about 5% crit self buffed, so count yourself lucky.

as an affil lock im not that worried about crit tbh - i WANT my haste back 3% unbuffed 6% with dark intent (

10+ Year Old Account
    By the time ICC came around, combat ratings were WAY overtuned. With full buffs and a boss fully debuff'd I was nearing 65-70% crit, which is kind or ridiculous. So blizzard made the (wise) decision and in this expansion we won't get as much rating. And not nearly as quick.

Don't worry, your dps should still be comparable to everyone else if you're playing well. You just don't get to see as many big numbers.

As for reforging, you should think like this (for fire and frost at least) this is your priority:

Hit (if you're not capped) > Crit > Haste > Mastery.

So, assuming your hit capped, if you get an item with hit and haste, you'll want to reforge the haste to crit. Or if it has mastery, then mastery to crit. Just make sure you have 17% hit self-buffed, then reforge anything else to crit. There's a sticky at the top that goes into this a lot more detailed.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Says; 2010-12-13 at 03:05 PM.
    Lightning Fast

Back in early vanilla, 25% crit was considered "lots of crit". I've missed those days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not a mage but just to show u that crit went down the drain when i leveled from a SV build with 69.56% crit unbuffed to now a stupid 19.57% unbuffed i cried inside but now i got used to the idea
    Retired

Deleted
    i went from 75% crit to around 15% crit as mage

4 % here as an arms warrior.
    {broken sig link}

Won't this lack of crit hurt fire more than any other spec? Especially with the amount of mastery we see on the new gear. The fire Mastery is not good. It only applies to periodic damage the best of which comes from crits which bring us back around the to first point.

You came from the last tier in an expansion to the first one.. It has already been said that the amount of ratings needed for 1% crit is increased every level you gain..

Did you count on starting the first tier with 45-50% crit ? ;D
    You didnt do that in Naxx at the start of WotLK and you aint going to now!

6.4% unholy DK, feels weird, but dps is still holding up so meh

Deleted
    Eh, ratings will never be as high as in WotLK. But damn, it sure is helluva annoying to drop from 44% haste to 7%... >.>

its because you need a whole lot more crit rating to increase your percentage and thats because crit havent scaled with gear which is quite reasonable.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2010-12-13 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo

15+ Year Old Account
    They have said in repeated posts that inflation was out of control by the end of wrath. Don't ever expect to see those 40-60% crit ratings again.

For my Frost DK, I went from 37-40% at the end of Wrath to about somewhere around 6% now. DPS has increased however, so I am not missing it much yet tbh, though I am curious as to how my mage will hold up.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    My hunter went from 73% self buffed to like 22%. Not like I do damage on him anyways, but the numbers aren't any larger anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    seeing sub 10% crit as a dps is a bit low i think, particularly when you get things proccing from crits, etc, it feels kinda depressing. they could always just add dimishing returns on stats so we aren't punished so much initially but c'est la vie.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm on 30% crit as kittykat atm down from 70% unbuffed at 80
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    It balances out. Even though my ratings have dropped like a rock, my DPS has remained fairly constant with some improvment over the course of 80-85. Yes, your crits are fewer and farther between, but this is made up for in higher regular damage.

Personally, I think crit was way out of line at the end of Wrath. Nobody should be sitting around with the knowledge that 4/5 hits are going to crit. Heck, even a 50/50 crit chance was pretty insane.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    went from something (honestly cant remember) to 11% on my priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithsonian View Post
    YOU ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE CUP?

Everyone knows you should never any liquids, especially around computers. I keep a wetvac and absorbent towels handy in case I ever any liquids. If I ever coffee though, God help me, call 911 because I have more than computer issues.

TL;DR- Always the whole thing in a safe, dry place.

Ultimately what they are trying to do is tune down the damage, healing and essentially stretch out everything so that things aren't dying insanely fast healers actually have the potential to go OOM. Also DPS are gonna have to be more responsible for their health which is something they've grown accustomed to not worrying about because they knew healers could simply keep them up with little or no trouble. Also passive and active regen will also become more important on the basis that given an example of me healing on my druid in Stonecore normal with a rather bad group... I was hovering around the 2-5% mana range even after innervate AND a dreamless pot that gave me back around 15k mana (should have been 22k but I broke it early). The point is if a healer is smart with their heals and the dps can be smart not taking excessive damage they shouldn't go oom because their efficient heals should allow them to regen faster than they can spend.