Something wrong with Blood mitigation

Last night I did Omnitron Defense System, tanked it fine not a problem, we beat it life is good. For some odd reason i go there today and i start and I didn't parry a single thing and dodge, Keep in mind I haven't changed a single thing since yesterday. And a few days ago I tanked Halfus with two drakes up, sure it was alot of inc dmg but nothing healers had to stress over, I tanked it today i didn't parry a single thing for 1 min and 30 secs, and once the mt' died the boss basicly 4 shots me I'm not sure whats up but im getting pretty concerned- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...melts/advanced Yes i know i need a few enchants and i need to change somthings around but there is no reason i should be getting 4 shot.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=44600 Keep in mind im tanking a 87 elite with no buffs while mt tanks the boss with a 100% melee swing increase

I am not really sure what you are specifically asking for. Took a quick glimpse through that log posted and at least on that 6 minutes try your avoidance was at expected levels if I read correctly.

we take more damage, thats what we do, but we also have huge self heals and huge ass shields, it should read that we take more dmg, if you look at you healing logs it shows that you did 2k self healing, while the other tank did 323. so in fact the real numbers you're seeing should be that you're taking around 8k constant dmg to the main tanks 10k. Works out pretty good as far as i can see.

You had 141 combined D/P/M and 341 hits, with one crit. I'd be more worried about the crit, but % wise for your gear, that should be fine. Maybe a touch low, but that would just be RNG.

If you think you are taking too much damage, stop reforging to hit/expertise and reforge to mastery or avoidance.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Deleted
    I felt something was wrong after the maintenance last night and came here to see if anybody else had a similar feeling. Just did a normal dungeon which I steamrolled through the day before but I seemed to be taking more damage today. I could be imagining it but something seems wrong.

Nothing was changed with the reset. The only thing I can suggest is un-reforge (yes I just made that up) some of your hit and exp you you took from mastery. While I have said many times on these boards that hit cap and exp softcap should be a goal to make sure you land your death strikes in critical moments, you have already done that. As a rule, never reforge mastery to anything else, only reforge your dodge/parry to hit/exp if you can afford to. If you can't get hit/exp at 8%/26 with just dodge and parry, then don't worry about it, it will come with gear. The point is not to go into raids with 1% hit and 4 exp, because you greatly risk chaining together DS misses.

I'm a little confused so i want to un -reforge my hit/exp, so that i can mitigate more. But don't i need to be exp caped so i don't get parried or dodged

Deleted
    So that your Death Strikes miss less.

What I am saying is that the goal is to get your hit to 8% and your exp to 26, but the OP has done that already, and in doing so has severely gimped his mastery. Right now, I don't really think it is valuable to gimp your mastery that low just to make sure all your DSs hit. Basically what I am saying is you are hitting all your Death Strikes, resulting in good healing, but your shields are weak, meaning you need another death strike or CD close after it to make up for it.

Personally, I don't feel as good unless my mastery is around 100% or above for blood shield. That's personal preference, so if you find that you think you will survive more with hit/exp cap (aka more death strikes landing) than higher blood shields (more mastery), then stick with it. You just asked for advice, and that is what I would suggest you try

12 mastery = 75% blood shield
    16 mastery = 100% blood shield

If you lower hit/expertise by lets say 1.5% each you should be able to make up the whole in mastery. Thus each of your DS that lands gains another 15-20% or so as absorb. The difference to hit/exp cap is that you will sometimes have bad luck with RNG and get 1 or 2 DS parried. This means that you may lose out on some "high heal" DS but your overall DS will improve.

e.g. your base DS currently is around 10k while tanking and a good DS would be at 20k. thus netting you with 7.5k-15k blood shields.
    If you revert some reforges to mastery of 100 DS you will get a total of 8 of them miss/dodged/parried so they will only be base DS and no big DS. And you usually hit 75% big DS since you are a pro DK.
    So, if you go for those 16 mastery you'll see 100% heal as shield so your overall DS shield now ranges from 10-20k (25% increase after all).
    Let's compare:
    Old: 75*15k + 25*7.5k=1.3m
    New: 67*20k + 33*10k=1.6m
    (These numbers are totally imaginary, just to show you the difference it may make)

This may possibly hurt your "emergency DS" if something went really bad and you needed the heal to survive, but it can improve your overall mitigation and thereby save some precious healer mana.

I went for more HP>mastery>avoidance first and am now working on my expertise/hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    If i may

un-reforge = deforge?

I'd go with deforge, but unreforge just sounds so much more comical and incorrect that I have to use it.

BTW the term that Blizzard uses is "restore".

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    If i may

un-reforge = deforge?
    how about 'forge'
    My guild <Rollin Deep> - See one of these guys? Run. Else you will die.

But restore is so grammatically correct. I proclaim the official term is un-reforge.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conno View Post
    we take more damage, thats what we do, but we also have huge self heals and huge ass shields, it should read that we take more dmg, if you look at you healing logs it shows that you did 2k self healing, while the other tank did 323. so in fact the real numbers you're seeing should be that you're taking around 8k constant dmg to the main tanks 10k. Works out pretty good as far as i can see.
    blood shield means we take less damage. Blood shield is basically the same mechanic as block. completely different mechanic but the values are the same along with the fact that that ability heals us. we dont take more damage actually.

---------- Post added 2010-12-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nye View Post
    This may possibly hurt your "emergency DS" if something went really bad and you needed the heal to survive, but it can improve your overall mitigation and thereby save some precious healer mana.
    Generally speaking you don't save your best ability as an emergency for anything. You basically span DS across the board as needed, meaning if the heal is useful awesome but if you dont have a BS up use it. The BS is a damage shield. Basically what it means is if you have say a 7k BS up and your total HP = 150k then you in essence actually have 157k instead. it doesnt increase the actual hp total but since it is the same mechanic as a priest shield you're able to take a hit equal to the total of your HP available AND the shield strength together.
    What i mean is don't save your death strike even if its an "emergency" unless you already have a BS up because the BS is more hp as opposed to healing the damage after the hit. if you have say 15k hp left and the hit is <20k a 5k bs would save your life as opposed to an "emergency DS" that could heal you but since you didnt survive the attack you cant even use it.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    Generally speaking you don't save your best ability as an emergency for anything. You basically span DS across the board as needed, meaning if the heal is useful awesome but if you dont have a BS up use it. The BS is a damage shield. Basically what it means is if you have say a 7k BS up and your total HP = 150k then you in essence actually have 157k instead. it doesnt increase the actual hp total but since it is the same mechanic as a priest shield you're able to take a hit equal to the total of your HP available AND the shield strength together.
    What i mean is don't save your death strike even if its an "emergency" unless you already have a BS up because the BS is more hp as opposed to healing the damage after the hit. if you have say 15k hp left and the hit is <20k a 5k bs would save your life as opposed to an "emergency DS" that could heal you but since you didnt survive the attack you cant even use it.
    Did you even read the post you quoted? You totally didn't get the context.
    A "emergency DS" is a DS that saves your lives when the next bee-fart would make you drop dead. Thats the only point when hitting a DS that second becomes gamebreakingly important. And you can be sure that you will bite your own rear if this DS gets dodged after you reforged from expertise to mastery.

A bad DK just spams his DS whenever available. A good DK uses his DS under 3 conditions:
    1. He would die if he didn't use it.
    2. His Death Strike hits for more than the minimum value.
    3. His 2nd FU Pair is coming off cooldown in less than 2s.

Using it whenever possible and your Blood Shield isn't up is just plain bad playstyle. Remember, as long as 1 FU pair is on CD, you don't lose Death Strikes and spamming it whenever a FU pair is available does not keep the stress of the healer.

Making the most of your available Death Strikes is what separates the good from the bad.