Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Engineering: how the mighty have fallen

I just leveled up engineering a few days ago, spent a whopping 10k leveling it (using the AH). I loved engineering in wrath, the tinkers were so fucking awesome back then, not to mention the convenience the profession provided. However, after checking EJ I've noticed that engineering is no longer awesome sauce for DK DPS, replaced by fucking leatherworking for the number 1 slot.

I wondering if I should drop the profession, but I'm reluctant to let it go. So convince me to drop or keep engineering, I can go either way.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Engineering have imho always been a fun profession. You can make tons of weird and awesome stuff with it, which at least is why I have it. The tinkers also stack with regular enchants now afaik, which is quite nice.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Yes, tinkers can be applied alongside other enchants. I would take the very slight loss of damage for goggles, belt invis or dmg shield, rocket boosts, parachute, and potion gulper. I'm not a sim guy but I'd be suprised if they take into account dps increase of surviving just a bit better or rocket booting to the target faster. Throwing an 18K point absorb on top of IBF is quite nice, I'll just stand in the fire for a couple seconds n keep dps'n :P

GL in which ever path you take.

Blood~
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2011-01-05 at 07:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with engineering is the fact that stuff can fail. Even if most of those are around the 1% failrate, it still completely invalidates any use it might provide.

Rocketboots failing, giving you a 15% HP/sec debuff and launching you in the air, therefore not letting you run out of stuff? You'll die.

Shield either giving you a 100% increased chance to be crit, stunning you for 5 seconds or doing a 40 yard taunt? the latter does nothing on a boss without any kind of adds, the former two kill you and therefore wipe the raid.

As long as those failures are staying implemented engineering simply is not a viable raiding profession. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    The problem with engineering is the fact that stuff can fail. Even if most of those are around the 1% failrate, it still completely invalidates any use it might provide.

Rocketboots failing, giving you a 15% HP/sec debuff and launching you in the air, therefore not letting you run out of stuff? You'll die.

Shield either giving you a 100% increased chance to be crit, stunning you for 5 seconds or doing a 40 yard taunt? the latter does nothing on a boss without any kind of adds, the former two kill you and therefore wipe the raid.

As long as those failures are staying implemented engineering simply is not a viable raiding profession. period.
    This, which is baffling as all hell since they did so much to make it useful for Wrath.

So glad I didn't drop JC for it.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    for one having an ability miss 1% of the time really doesn't invalidate the skill. i mean when you DW you miss 19% of the time, when a target moves out of melee range OR caster range for that matter that is "technically" a miss also. besides Engineering offers unique things to the profession.
    I have LW personally but I've had it since cata on my DK but that doesn't mean that i would trade my 525 engineering for it.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

10+ Year Old Account
    I spent the gold to power level engineering on my main a few weeks ago, and I haven't looked back! Yet to have anything fail though!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not like it doesn't work when it "misses" that wouldn't be that bad.

But the rocketboot failure will kill a dps or tank with near 100% certainty, and 2 the 3 failures on the shield will kill a tank with 100% certainty.

The failures make me very sad. I've sad it in a dozen other threads before, but the argument 'engineering is about the failures!' simply doesn't fly, because there's never been a failure that could actually kill you until now, unless you count the teleporter failure that teleports you to a fatal fall height.

Fun, wacky failures? That's cool. Deadly failures that make using it in a raid ill advised, or even stupid? Not cool.

It seems that they spent about 15 minutes coming up with cata things for engineering.
    And 14 of that was getting coffee and a donut.

helm is leet, the forcefield belt is cool too... when it works. But overall engineering is not very profitable, no hunter wants to pay for the new guns's mats, let alont the orbs
    Im new.

Deleted
    I don't mean to be rude here or anything, but maybe you should have checked EJ before you powerleveled it?
    OT : If i were you, i would keep it.
    I mean, you spend 10k on it, it does have some uses in PvE and especially in PvP.
    But yeah blizz kinda killed the Engineering we knew in Wrath.

Also Gz on 1k posts!

Quote Originally Posted by viscerx View Post
    helm is leet, the forcefield belt is cool too... when it works. But overall engineering is not very profitable, no hunter wants to pay for the new guns's mats, let alont the orbs
    They would have happily payed for the bow's mats, if it weren't for the fact that Blizzard inexplicably decided to nerf its power to a blue 346 item, instead of its original 359 epic status.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    for one having an ability miss 1% of the time really doesn't invalidate the skill. i mean when you DW you miss 19% of the time, when a target moves out of melee range OR caster range for that matter that is "technically" a miss also. besides Engineering offers unique things to the profession.
    I have LW personally but I've had it since cata on my DK but that doesn't mean that i would trade my 525 engineering for it.
    When you miss while DW or you move out of range, you don't necessarily die.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    It's not like it doesn't work when it "misses" that wouldn't be that bad.

But the rocketboot failure will kill a dps or tank with near 100% certainty, and 2 the 3 failures on the shield will kill a tank with 100% certainty.
    well if it "misses" then it would obviously not work. But what i mean is it just wouldn't work that one time. and if your tank DEPENDS on a profession to tank then he should rethink what he's doing. A tank should ALWAYS rely on his healers to heal, his dps to dps and his own personal abilities to hold threat and prepare for those "oh shit" moments with actual cooldowns and use the professions such as engineering as a support ability instead of an ability to rely on.

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    When you miss while DW or you move out of range, you don't necessarily die.
    no of course you don't but if you are relying on a profession to ENSURE something happens then you should rethink your goals... engineering offers an array of unique abilities and things. you don't simply get an extra gem slot or an enchant you get a very very wide variety of unique abilities and items to use as opposed to every other profession.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

OP probably should have spent 10 minutes looking at what top level engineering provides before leveling it. Just possibly.

The difference between having say... LW and having Engineering, isn't insignificant mathematically, or in theory, however for more than 99% of players it's insignificant practically speaking.

In practically every single fight there is likely a dozen different things (if not hundred) that you could have done that would result into more dps than changing your profession.

If that's not enough reason, there is always a small, albeit remote, chance that they will add extra things that are awesome...

If that's still not enough. JEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. Most awesome guy ever, still awesome in Cata. Vendor, Bank, Repair and Reagents all on 1hr? Yes please!

LW is a hot profession because of the stupidly OP bracer enchant. I imagine that once epic gems come out, it will fall back to earth.

Engineering is a utility profession. When haste was really good, it was a good PvE profession. That was only a brief period of time though, so why you rushed to level engineering for PvE is kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    well if it "misses" then it would obviously not work. But what i mean is it just wouldn't work that one time. and if your tank DEPENDS on a profession to tank then he should rethink what he's doing. A tank should ALWAYS rely on his healers to heal, his dps to dps and his own personal abilities to hold threat and prepare for those "oh shit" moments with actual cooldowns and use the professions such as engineering as a support ability instead of an ability to rely on.
    What is the point of having a profession that you're not going to use? If you want to use the rocket belt to get somewhere a little bit faster and it ends up killing you, that's pretty damn stupid and I don't see how you could disagree.

It has nothing to do with missing or hitting. It's the fact that using rocket belt has the chance to DoT you for 125% of your health or something like that.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    With the new thing that lets you pick up volatiles while, mining, Herbing and skinning, makes me ALOT of money. On my druid tank i have mining and engineering . I LOVE it, I know the 18k absorb can fail. But damn when it doesn't it can make the difference between life or death. You also cant forget jeeves/mailbox. Also the portal to Northrend also helps alot now, if i ever needed to go. The parachute thing on the cloak helps alot too. I cant count the times that has saved my ass.

Engineering is about situational use. If you can find the use for it, then you are ok. I know if i wanted to max my character in the best way, id take Leather working and mining/alchemy. But I choose to have it. it is different. i love being the guy saying "Hey dont worry ill make a jeeves/mailbox". I love it. If my druid didn't have stealth in cat form i would love the new invisible thing. I also love the goblin barbecue, 60 stam and 60 of another stat that best suits your spec.