Thread: Lucky stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3ry View Post
    i'm on run 4824 run for the barons mount (this is been over the last 10 years ) even with the improved drop rate a few years back i'm pretty sure the wow gods hate me
    Don't mean to be a dick lol, but is this on 3 characters? on one that would be literally every day for the past 13 years.

damage inc nice. got the charger u lucky bugger. i gave up on that. gave up on ashes too. i was lucky enough to get onyxia after 4 tries though. still try for the kara mount, ugh. took like 2 weeks to get raven and 4 to get hawkstrider. also took 40 casts to get that turtle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Don't mean to be a dick lol, but is this on 3 characters? on one that would be literally every day for the past 13 years.
    Stratholme is chain runnable 5 times an hour so someone with enough drive can get a ginormous amount of runs in it over the years if they're unlucky. I was lucky enough to get mine on run 129 in Wrath. My dk still only uses that mount for ground even now.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz on your luck
    On the other hand, I can't personally call the Swift White Hawkstrider rare, having vendored at least seven of them. I'm still trying to get Orb of the Sin'dorei on my Warlock, and currently it has seen the Hawkstrider twice, no Orb and last I checked is something like 19k Revered.

Someone in my guild got Ashes of Alar on his first ever visit to TK. One of our RL, who had been after if for years was slightly upset
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    The only mount i have left that is a FOS and still obtainable is Mims head. I'll wait till the next expansion so i can solo it easy. Rest of it i got and the only ones i got left are a few who i can spam ( vortect pinnecale, ZG panther ) and the rest are huolon and raid mounts ( Not a raider so next expansion )

I've never been a huge mount collector person, I prefer to collect pets myself.

However I had the itch at some point during MOP to farm up some mounts on my monk. I started running Onyxia's Lair, Tempest Keep, Karazhan, every week.

The onyxia mount came first, prolly on week 3 i'd say. Ashes of Al'ar came next, prolly week 7, pretty happy about that one. At that point, I didn't really care a whole lot for the kara mount so I stopped farming it every week. Maybe 2 months or so passed, not really sure, but I was flying around bored and decided to go kill attumen for shits n giggles and the mount dropped, so I was pretty stoked about that.

I've ran stratholme for rivendare mount quite a few times. I generally run it until i'm locked out, then I basically quit and don't try anymore for several months. All in all i'd say I have maybe... 60 clears of the place? At least from mount farming. Haven't seen it yet, but I continue to run it till im out of lockouts from time to time, every few months. I'll prolly see it some day.

I have had Anzu since TBC, my druid won this mount the very first time I killed Anzu as part of my epic druid flight form quest, and it has remained the only ground mount my druid will ever use. FLight form and anzu are just the perfect druid mounts imo.

I also have Crimson death charger which my DK rides exclusively, just because it fits and is cool. I'd really love to get invincible though, but haven't managed that one yet. I did lich king 25 heroic every week for a couple months while I was doing my legendary quest for shadowmourne, never saw it drop. I "could" keep doing it just for the mount, but honestly it's just too much hassle and effort to be worth it for me, just for a small chance at the mount.

I've seen both mounts in Firelands drop twice in our weekly clears when it was current content. Two off rag, two off alysrazor. I didn't win any of them. I did however win the ultraxion mount (ugly as sin) when it was current content, and I have every variation of the deathwing/alexstrasza mount. The meta achievement, the killing it in heroic mode when it was current, and the random chance to drop one. Got em all.

As I said, I don't really go after mounts a whole lot, invincible is really the only mount I really wish I had that I don't, but even that one I can live without. Too much effort, not enough reward.

And I think on that note, i'll go clear stratholme till I get locked out and then goto bed. Hope I get it. Otherwise it'll be ages before the thought crosses my mind again.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    There is a thread for this so I will merge it with that thread, but grats! That is some luck

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Gratz on your luck
    On the other hand, I can't personally call the Swift White Hawkstrider rare, having vendored at least seven of them. I'm still trying to get Orb of the Sin'dorei on my Warlock, and currently it has seen the Hawkstrider twice, no Orb and last I checked is something like 19k Revered.

Someone in my guild got Ashes of Alar on his first ever visit to TK. One of our RL, who had been after if for years was slightly upset
    From my 21 Kael'thas kills on this character I've vendored probably 5 of these orbs, in addition to using one myself ;p

Orb of Deception, however.... I'll get you, you little bugger!

Deleted
    I'm not really a fan of mounts and have no patience whatsoever to farm for them either but I do have some mounts that I got by lucky coincidences.

The first "rare" mount I got was the black war mammoth. Me and a friend were doing VoA because I said I hadn't done it before and wanted to do it. Well we did the raid and whoopsie mount dropped. I won it and after that we flew to do Malygos. I then mounted my new mount, ridin around with him as passenger and I jumped off the high cliff to kill him. Aah, sweet memory.

The second rare mount I got was Ashes of Alar. I had never done TK alone before and only come along whenever a friend wanted to do it. After the new pets got introduced in TK I now had a reason to go there alone, which I also did. I killed all the bosses except Kael'thas and to my annoyance none of the pets dropped. I was about to hearth out but figuring I had nothing else to do I might aswell try killing Kael'thas. So I went to the last boss. Sighing over how boring it was and nuked him down. I looked through the loottable and saw a weird symbol, I mousovered it and I was like "WTF?!" when I read the description text. Oh boy was I surprised.

Another day I was trying to get rep with Houjin Pandaren so I was farming dungeons in Auchindoun. After I got exalted I thought that since I was in the neighbourhood I might aswell try running for the mount that I knew dropped in Sethekk Halls. I went there and knew that it would drop. And so it did, first run an all.

I also ran Kara alot with friends for the pets. I didn't even know a mount dropped in there. I was bored one day and wanted to do Kara on my own for once. So I killed the first boss and oh my, it dropped a mount. I just laughed because I had no idea it even could drop a mount.

Funny though that the only mount I really want and actually run every week for refuses to drop for me. Only 36 runs so far though. But hey, wednesday today, it might drop this week.

Thank you best of luck to all :]

@Yav - what mount are you trying to get?

As for me, finally at 101st kill I got the panther from ZG. Finally I can stop visiting this place (223 mounts and counting).

10+ Year Old Account
    Raging over no loot drops for one of my alts in ToT LFR... until I got a Ji-kun hatchling drop without spending bonus roll.
    And also seeing two Azure Drake drops in less than a month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    @Yav - what mount are you trying to get?

As for me, finally at 101st kill I got the panther from ZG. Finally I can stop visiting this place (223 mounts and counting).
    Onyxia! I haven't yet killed her this week, think I will have a go today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yav View Post
    Onyxia! I haven't yet killed her this week, think I will have a go today.
    Ah, killing her 7 times a week, 8 if I can get myself to do it with my 85 dk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    Raging over no loot drops for one of my alts in ToT LFR... until I got a Ji-kun hatchling drop without spending bonus roll.
    And also seeing two Azure Drake drops in less than a month.
    WHAT? Ji-kun hatchling can drop in LFR, oh shit I will have to do a lot of LFR is that's true.

Deleted
    The last time i lucked out was years ago when i got the butcher from SM : / that was pretty much the only time I've ever had any luck in wow, atleast when it comes to items.

My guild was calling me "Mr. Thunderforged" by ToT week 2. The nickname persisted until the end of the tier. You can probably guess why :P

When i was leveling my main (who was a pally) about two weeks after WotLK, i found myself in storm peaks and i spotted the time-lost proto drake! At the time i didn't know how rare it was, but i was still really happy with the mount, i still use it whenever i play my pally!

Some of my fishing luck:

I wanted to get the turtle, so I had a load of Doctor Who episodes to watch while fishing. I got it before the first episode ended. (And even got a Dark Herring as well).
    I got the Dalaran sewer rat within the first few minutes of trying to get it.
    I went to Orgrimmar and said in /g "I'm gonna try and get Old Crafty!". 5 catches after I got it.
    A boring Sunday I thought to myself "Meh, might as well try the fishing competition in Northrend". After a few minutes in, I got the winner fish, HS'd to Dalaran and won it. - I tried it once, and won it once.
    Last edited by zyx; 2013-10-20 at 09:59 AM.

A couple months ago I was doing some archaeology training. I was flying through Dustwallow Marsh when I came upon Onyxia's Lair, and I thought to myself, "Man, I haven't done this in forever."

I'm sure you can all guess what dropped for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    Some of my fishing luck:

I wanted to get the turtle, so I had a load of Doctor Who episodes to watch while fishing. I got it before the first episode ended. (And even got a Dark Herring as well).
    I got the Dalaran sewer rat within the first few minutes of trying to get it.
    I went to Orgrimmar and said in /g "I'm gonna try and get Old Crafty!". 5 catches after I got it.
    I boring Sunday I thought to myself "Meh, might as well try the fishing competition in Northrend". After a few minutes in, I got the winner fish, HS'd to Dalaran and won it. - I tried it once, and won it once.
    Too bad that Northend fishing competition has been removed T_T