Thread: Threat Problems

Deleted

Threat Problems

Hi, I just did my first normal cata dungeon as prot and had quite a big problem.

You see, in my group was a hunter, mage and dk dpses. The problem being that once I started a pull and gained some threat the hunter or mage easily outthreated me (I'm not sure if thats a word.) I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have had a look at EJ and are using the rotations/priority list from there and I have everything on cd on pulls so I don't know what I can do with this threat problem. Is it me or the dps? Also the dk was getting no where near my threat.

And if you are going to ask me this, yes I am using righteous fury

Mark skull then X. HotR on the way in (if an AOE pack) then CSx3 -> Shield on the Skull. Avenger's Shield / Holy Wrath when they're off cooldown to keep some AOE threat going. Repeat for X then you should have a headstart on any remaining mobs that threat won't be a problem.

Also, if you're using a Wrath weapon, you'll want to upgrade as soon as possible. You'll notice a huge increase in your DPS (and thus threat) with HotR and CS.
    Last edited by Matchu; 2010-12-20 at 11:03 PM.

without seeing an armory, I can't comment on gear or spec/glyphs, but I'll offer some tips that work for me (some you may or may not already be using).

For aoe situations(mostly trash) don't use glyph of dazing shield. Dazed trash takes longer to reach melee range. Having them get into melee faster allows you to get a head start on threat.

Pop wings on the pull. Again, this gives you increased damage at the outset, allowing for a head start on threat.

For aoe situations (trash again), use inquisition on three-stacks of holy power where sacred duty hasn't procced. 30% increased holy damage makes for a crapload of dps on Avengers Shield, Holy Wrath and Hammer of the Righteous. Increased dps = increased threat.

Do NOT use Consecration. It costs very nearly half your mana pool and you could very well find yourself out of mana, not doing any damage and thereby no threat.

Download and install Tidy Plates and Tidy Plates: Neon Theme. It changes the health bars (color based) of mobs based on the mobs threat table. It makes it much easier to pick a mob out of a trash pack when it agro's onto an overzealous dps'er.

Deleted
    You haven't said if it was a problem with trash or boss pull. Or if bosses were fine. Or if dps were targetting mobs other than yourself. Getting a nameplate addon like TidyPlates will very quickly during a fight let you know this.

If aoe issues,
    - pop Divine Plea + Inquisition at the start of a pull. That's 12 sec of 30% increased Holy Damage for Hammer

If single target issues,
    - pop Avenging Wrath, pop Divine Plea and start with a 3-holypower Shield of the Righteous

Otherwise make sure you use an ability every GCD. You cannot wait around with melee attacks between Crusader or Hammer strikes if you want to keep up with other's threat. The exception is Consecration. It's not worth using unless there are a ton of adds or on single target and have a LOT of spare mana.

Finally, gear up and change your gear for threat - so more expertise and hit.

you really shouldn't have a problem maintaining agro in multi mob situations unless the dps are very good....which is unlikely in random queues...

rotations are great, but 90% of the time people (both tanks and dps) prioritize the rotation over always being casting, which is almost always wrong. Your much better off always hitting something than you are stopping for 3 seconds to think about whats next and making sure its correct. Always be pressing something every GCD. After your doing that you can start making sure that your pressing the correct button every GCD.

hunter, mage and dk dpses
    Hunter - Feign Death
    Mage - Invisibility, iceblock
    DK's - Hand of Salvation

DPS needs to be aware of their threat just as you need to be aware of yours. It's not fair that the emphasis gets placed on the tank to maintain aggro.

GC said
    A tank's job is to protect the group. A big part of that is controlling the enemy. A big part of controlling the enemy is staying alive."
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.