Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Uses for Mind Control

Thanks to Xexer for putting out a bit of a list. I went and got names from Wowhead because I was looking for some specifics. For those interested, here's a list but its up to you and your group to decide which are worthwhile to CC and abuse their abilities or just to kill them off. Feel free to add more if you see some that are useful, but I tried to keep it slim since no priest wants to just MC all day :-/

Lost City of the Tol'vir:
    Oathsworn Skinner (Fan of Knives, melee)
    Neferset Plaguebringer (Diseases, Disease of CD)

Halls of Origination:
    Temple Runecaster (Cleave, Curse on CD)

Blackrock Caverns:
    Twilight Elemental Warden (Chain Lightning, Fire Blast, Frostbomb)

Throne of the Tides:
    Gilgoblin Aquamage (Tsunami, Waterbolt)
    Gilgoblin Hunter (Backstab, Poison Spear)
    Naz'jir Invader (Lacerate, debuff given when taking damage)
    Naz'jir Tempest Witch (Chain Lightning, Lightning Surge)
    Naz'jir Spiritmender (Hex, Wrath, Healing Wave)

Vortex Pinnacle
    Flame Ascendant (Hellfire, Flame Blast aoe)
    Minister of Air (Lightning Nova, Lightning Lash)
    Servant of Asaad (Crusader Strike, Divine Storm, Hand of Protection)
    Temple Adept (Haste, Heal, Smite)

Awesome reference. Putting this up in the sticky.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    The Hunter-type mobs in BoT are great to MC as well. You can also have them stand at the top of the stairs and get fucked by the lightning orbs. HOWEVER! Remember not to kill them through that so that you get loot credit.

For Vortex Pinnacle, as you mentioned, the Temple Adept is great to MC as a Healer or DPS. You can choose to use it as a healer or let it get zerged by the other mobs before charging the group.

Lastly, always co-ordinate with the tank about any MC CC you pull. It's a bitch to deal with MC threat if you don't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharmabhum View Post
    but I tried to keep it slim since no priest wants to just MC all day :-/
    liar I do -_-

The chicks before Ammunae, their Tranquility heals for insane amounts.

Deleted
    The Defias Enforcers in Deadmines are damn deadly. Recklessness combined with Bloodbath - and normal melee - tears the mobs apart within seconds. Nothing like 6 50k crits in 3 second channel. ;D

About 75% of NPCs that you can MC have cheap, overpowered, high-damage abilities that do far more DPS than you. I find it fun to always MC things while I'm Shadow in dungeons :P

Halls of Origination:

The fawns on Ammunae's trash, you can MC them and shoot the vine, they also have a very powerful Tranquility that works on party members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    I can vouch for the Oathsworn Skinners, the spriest in my group was able to pull upwards of 15k dps on every pack containing one of them, however a word of warning - their AoE ability can break CC and/or overaggro (altough it's not a big issue if the mobs kill each other) and also you might want to reduce CC slightly.

In the packs of 5 mobs, we used to CC 3 of them without a priest, but with mind control we used CC on just one (or none at all and I blew a tanking cooldown) so the skinner could do the most damage.

Later during the run, I also asked the priest to MC a Plaguebringer but their damage didn't seem to be that high (albeit he might not have known how to use their diseases since it was the 1st time he MCd that type of mob). I haven't tried any other dungeon or mob types so far, but I will try to report any MC successes if I get paired up with priests again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascherzon
    He doesn't read topics before he posts - he just takes a dump, smears it all over his face, rolls his face across the keyboard and presses post.

I discovered this accidentally in Vortex Pinnacle heroic:

I had one of the Adepts Mind Controlled, and was quite happily attacking one of the mobs which throws Lightning Bolts at everyone when he did his AoE Knockback and hit the Adept over the edge. Mind Control broke on the way down and the Adept weirdly enough didn't instantly reset, as usually happens, but instead just stood quite happily a few dozen feet down, looking bemused. Throwing them off the edge while Mind Controlled had the same effect as long as you remembered to wait until they are a good bit down before breaking Mind Control, otherwise they stay in Line of Sight but evade and so heal everyone up. They reset after a little while onto the platform, but in emergencies don't be afraid to put your Lumber Mill training to use and just throw one overboard and MC a second one as normal.
    This is likely a bug though so don't rely on it.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2010-12-18 at 05:45 PM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    The fawns on Ammunae's trash, you can MC them and shoot the vine, they also have a very powerful Tranquility that works on party members.
    Woah thats a nice tip. Imma tell my friend to do that! Ha we won't even need a healer with that trump card up our sleeves.

But I'm pretty sure they were Dryads and not baby deer. XD

---------- Post added 2010-12-18 at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I discovered this accidentally in Vortex Pinnacle heroic:

I had one of the Adepts Mind Controlled, and was quite happily attacking one of the mobs which throws Lightning Bolts at everyone when he did his AoE Knockback and hit the Adept over the edge. Mind Control broke on the way down and the Adept weirdly enough didn't instantly reset, as usually happens, but instead just stood quite happily a few dozen feet down, looking bemused. Throwing them off the edge while Mind Controlled had the same effect as long as you remembered to wait until they are a good bit down before breaking Mind Control, otherwise they stay in Line of Sight but evade and so heal everyone up. They reset after a little while onto the platform, but in emergencies don't be afraid to put your Lumber Mill training to use and just throw one overboard and MC a second one as normal.
    This is likely a bug though so don't rely on it.
    LOL @ the LM reference. XD

Now THATS what I call crowd control!

Deleted
    The Stonecore Flayers in...Stonecore, they have a channelled cone melee ability, doing 20k DPS on just one mob with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    The Stonecore Flayers in...Stonecore, they have a channelled cone melee ability, doing 20k DPS on just one mob with it.
    When we get Stonecore heroic, we just have the tank hold the flayer between trash, mark and cc the next group, then I just re MC the flayer and use it to clean house up to Corborus. Pull about 20k+ dps by using it to shred Millhouse and his band of idiots as it hits each target for like 10-15k every half a second when it's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

I will MC every chance I get....when I tanked a couple dungeons w/spriests they never wanted to MC and I never understood why....MC was the whole reason I lvl'd a spriest and it really becoming my favorite toon.

I like to MC mobs just to see what they can do

The wardens in BRC rock when you use their abilities but now I really wanna try out the flayers in Stonecore
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

MC in heroics

I was in a heroic group on my priest that was going really slow on trash in throne of tides, so i decided to MC one of the naga every time there was a large pull and it worked great, i MCed the one that has chain lightning so all the other mobs would kill the one MCed and the rest of the adds were all weakened, anyone else try doing this on other heroics?

There a quite a few heroics with very sick Mobs for MC.
    Deadmines - Enforcers
    Lost City - Skinners
    Stone Core - The guys which turn into elementals (aoe stun)
    Throne of Tides - Naga Chain lightning, later those 2 hit aqua mages pack.
    Vortex Pinnacle - MC the healers and let your healer spec damage. It's fast!

I would MC if I wasn't the healer >< MC is probably the greatest CC ever! Best of both worlds: you get to control a mob and beat on his friends with him.

I do this all the time, be aware that Aoe damage spells they cast will damage you and your party members still, regardless of MC. Same with the summon imp casters in stonecore, imps are still hostile. : ) And the MC'd mobs have a tendancy to ... umm. Attack you without bothering about the tank when MC ends. Taunts or Nay.

On Minecraft:
    Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Creepers would cease to be terrifying if they looked more 'real' and less like a big green dick with a frowny face on it.

Deleted
    MCing the mobs in stonecore that turn into Force of Earth is probably the best thing a priest can do for a group.

I love MC, but the Priests never really pony up. Like JDPickle said, most of them are healers to get faster groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Robofish View Post
    And the MC'd mobs have a tendancy to ... umm. Attack you without bothering about the tank when MC ends. Taunts or Nay.
    MC, Psychic Horror, time your next MC to go off as soon as Horror is gone, IF you have to MC again, Scream it then time MC accordingly. : )