Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I don't know if I buy into Missy not being who she says she is. It would work just fine within the internal logic of the show, but from an exterior perspective I don't really see it happening. It would be a bit of a disappointing red herring for her to turn out not to be the Master after that reveal, and you have to be pretty careful when stringing your audience along with stuff like that. There's huge potential for it to deflate a lot of the engagement in the story, and I think Moffat knows his stuff enough to avoid that if possible. Unless of course he has an even more fun twist waiting next week, although it would be hard to one-up the return of a female Master!

The drumbeats were very much one of those RTD-canon things that had a big impact on the ongoing lore of the show, and which Moffat has been gently extricating ever since he took over. He's been making a clear effort to return the show to neutral ground, where new writers won't have to deal with so much prescriptive canon moving forward.
    Things like the Doctor being this mythical figure known throughout time and space for his exploits, the Daleks having to come back from the brink of extinction time and again, Gallifrey/Time Lords being dead and gone etc. are all good examples. Also the idea of the Doctor having a family (and his sudden interest in romance in general during RTDs run) seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the drums have been put to bed as well. They always struck me as a pretty lame and generic reason for the Master to be a bad guy. He's much more fun and interesting when he's just being evil and crazy because he loves the heck out of it.

It seems extremely dumb to have her lie about being a character we know and then reveal "oh wait, I'm actually some new Time Lord, lololol, why did I lie about it you ask? Dunno, guess I've got issues."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    It seems extremely dumb to have her lie about being a character we know and then reveal "oh wait, I'm actually some new Time Lord, lololol, why did I lie about it you ask? Dunno, guess I've got issues."
    Unless she's the Rani. Who is known both for her somewhat dark Scientific experiments, like say... Harvesting all the dead of the Human race, uploading their minds to the matrix, then upgrading their bodies to Cybermen... For example . I believe there was also hints at having a past relationship with the Doctor, which would explain why she calls him her boyfriend.

Just saying.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Didn't I just say that she didn't really "feel" like the Master, to me? And that we only have her word for it?

There's been no suggestion of a drumbeat, and I don't think the events with Rassilon necessarily ended that factor of the Master. If we haven't learned who Missy is in Dark Water, that's a pretty damn big hint that she isn't actually the Master. Particularly since "nothing you think is happening is happening... nothing."
    shes saying that you found out who missy is in dark water and you'll find out who seb is in death in heaven. apparently hes not just some program in the sphere. he seems to be an actual person of importance

- - - Updated - - -

she could be another timelord, but honestly thats just being douchey to the audience. from what i could tell in the preview it looks like missy is paling around with the doctor. i dont think the cybermen were her plan she just hijacked it for her own purposes

- - - Updated - - -

i have seen a little bit of speculation though that missy and seb are both the master. like maybe missy is his version of the valeyard

- - - Updated - - -

theres also been so many hints that the master is coming back .

“We’ve got some cracking new monsters – the Teller. And we’ve got some cracking old monsters – the Daleks will be back. Another major foe will be making a return, but more of that later.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1579501/doctor-who-finale-missy-reveals-herself/#xCPTriAiQ11Xo3I2.99

he compared the master to moriarty and how moriarty is dead, which was a dead give away since everyone knows moriarty is coming back

"Steven Moffat has seemingly ruled out the Master returning, stating that he thinks that the story is “sort of done.”

Responding to the question at the London premiere Q&A [Via] he replied: “No! I accidentally just said the truth! No, not really. I think the story’s sort of done. I thought what Russell [T. Davies] did with that was so brilliant, because I did think it was over.

“Once you’d lost Roger Delgado, who was so brilliant, it was tough to keep it… it’s like Moriarty in Sherlock – yes, I know – you think, ‘you’re a great master villain, you know what you do a lot, you lose! You’re always tremendously confident and then you’re humiliatingly defeated and you don’t remember that the next time you pop up with your ridiculous plan’.

“So no, the Doctor doesn’t really need an arch-enemy, so we’ll go for new ones. So, sorry John Simm.”

The first one to say “Moffat lies” wins a virtual jelly baby."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on-why-the-master-wont-be-back-65245.htm

and then of course there were multiple doctors at various conventions who had said they knew the master was coming back and that they really liked who they got to play the role

'While attending the Newcastle Film and Comic Con, former Doctor Sylvester McCoy claimed that The Master will indeed return, but not in the form of John Simm. Of course McCoy chose not to reveal as to who would be playing the character but he did say that the actor in question is “very scary”."

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/03/the-master-returning-to-doctor-who.html

it just seems far too much of a coincidence for her to not be the master, especially with the return of gallifrey likely coming soon.

- - - Updated - - -

i think we'll see some more mastery stuff in death in heaven. gomez does describe missy as schizophrenic

"MTV: When did you first hear that you got the part of Missy? How did you end up locking that down?

Michelle Gomez: I got an offer to join earlier in the series, which I couldn’t physically do because I was working on another show called “Psychobitches.” It’s about psychotic women in history. It’s very funny, you should check it out… It’s coming out at the end of the month.

Anyway, so I thought, “Oh my god! I’ve lost my ticket to ‘Doctor Who!’ I’ll never be asked again!” So I wrote a letter to the very wonderful, incredible genius that is Steven Moffat saying, “I’m terribly sorry. You know, I can’t be in 2 places at once because I don’t have a TARDIS, but if there is any possibility in the future, the I’m available for witches and bitches because that’s what I’m destined to play.”

Didn’t hear anything and then two weeks later, I got an incredibly nice one-liner from Steven saying,
    Can you say no to this?” And sent me this version of events, which I of course grabbed with both hands and thankfully I was free and here we are today!
    Doctor Who (series 8) ep 11 Adrian Rogers, ©BBC/BBC Worldwide 2014

MTV: So did you go out for a different character than Missy, or did they just juggle it a little bit to make it work for your schedule?

Gomez: Yeah I was asked to do something else and then I couldn’t, so they did this.

MTV: Could you tell us about what else you went in for?

Gomez: No, that’s been and gone. I can’t even remember what it was.

MTV: Fair enough… I’ve been curious about how you filmed the part, other than for the finale. You’ve been credited for some episodes, uncredited for others. Did it all happen in one chunk, or have they been bringing you in on a weekly basis? It’s certainly far more than fans were expecting.

Gomez: Yeah there was lot’s of it. My character had a block of filming, so they basically just compressed everything that Missy needed to do into one big, fat chunk and we just filmed it out that way.

MTV: Of course they’re very secretive on the show… Do they just hand you a scene and say, “Okay and now you’re going to smile a little bit here, but we can’t tell you what it is,” or did you know what was going on with Missy the whole time?

Gomez: Well, luckily I never really know what’s going anyway with anything that I do, so I was perfectly cast for this. Like most British actors, I tend to sort of get onto it and go, and I don’t ask too many questions. [I] pull a few faces and don’t embarrass myself… And that’s seems to have worked out very well.

MTV: So who is Missy, inside? In “Dark Water” we see her go through not just a bevy of emotions, but pretend to be different types of characters, as well.

Gomez: I think that she is the sum of all human emotion. She’s a miraculous weather system in her own right, and I framed her almost I guess schizophrenic in a way… She can shift from a thunderous, terrifying presence, to at times a little girl. So yeah, I suppose she is the sum of all human emotion in just one droplet.

MTV: Over the course of this season we’ve seen this new Doctor struggle with his humanity – or his lack of humanity… And all the best villains are, of course, a parallel or opposite for the hero. So is that what’s going on here? Are we getting through Missy what the Doctor has been lacking?

Gomez: Yes! Some people in our lives somehow mirror who we really are, and they are not mirroring the mask that we put on to meet and greet on a daily basis. For a man such as The Doctor, he has this kind of conscience now, asking the bigger questions of, “who am I really?”

We all arrive at that point in our lives, and whether we can really with rigorous honesty find answers that can sit well… There will be demons there that perhaps he hasn’t dealt with, or he’s repressed or he doesn’t feel good about.

Missy just blazes that light on all of the defects of his character. There’s that wonderful feeling you cant bulls–t a bullsh–ter. It’s almost that type of relationship with them of a sibling, or any close friend of yours that knows who you really are at your core… And is able to turn up, and remind you who you really are behind that mask. Missy is his barometer conscience that turns up.

MTV: Can we talk about you and Peter’s kiss in the episode? It’s so funny – particularly those last three little pecks on his nose at the end… How’d that come about?

Gomez: Well you put two Scots in a room together and there’s going to be some nonsense. Peter and I are both from Scotland. We’re both from the same town, so there was a little improvising here and there. We were very relaxed with each other, and very free and easy – which means you get these little moments that are not scripted, but they just sort of happen on the day. That was Peter and I having our Scot off

MTV: Though they teased it in the press pics, the Cybermen showing up at the end of the episode is paced so incredibly… As a fan of the show, what was it like being on set with them?

Gomez: Well, that probably was up there with my wedding day! It was one of the most incredible, magical days of my life – really. I’ve been knocking around in this business for 20 odd years, and it doesn’t get any better than that. I would describe it as pure magic actually. It was very very special. Very special.

MTV: There was so much speculation about who Missy was, and we finally get to find out what she’s up to in this episode – and that, in fact, she’s The Doctor’s arch-enemy The Master… Was there any other guess in particular you enjoyed?

Gomez: I love that Mary Poppins is possibly the most evil woman in the universe! That tickled me. Because now I’m not sure whether that is a theory, or a fact. I like that.

MTV: What was it like working with Rachel Talalay on set for this and the next episode? Not that the season has been too shabby, but “Dark Water” was a particularly beautiful and emotionally textured episode.

Gomez: She’s amazing. She’s kind of spoiled it for the rest of my working days. I only want to work with Rachel Talalay, and she’s just wonderful. She creates a kind of an incredible atmosphere on set, one that feels safe and comfortable. She brings out the best in everyone, from every department, and I just knew I was in good hands from the moment I met her. Shes a very special person indeed, and if she asked me to go open a packet of crisps for her – I would do it

MTV: Before we let you go, what can you tease about the season finale?

Gomez: Oh, just watch it, it’s very good. You wont be disappointed – and nothing that you think is happening is happening… Nothing."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1983988/doctor-who-michelle-gomez-missy/

- - - Updated - - -

"When the question "Who is Missy?" was finally answered in part 1 of the season finale,

Dark Water

"the ultimate line "

couldn't very well keep calling myself the Master now could I?" ended the season long mystery and set mouths agape. Now that she's revealed herself to be the Doctor's arch nemesis, the Master (or the Mistress if you'd like), the war is on! In Saturday's penultimate conclusion, the two Time Lords face off as the Doctor races against time to subvert Missy's season long sinister plot - to create an army of Cybermen using what she calls "the key strategic weakness of the human race,"

the dead "

- - - Updated - - -

"The BBC have responded to complaints from some viewers who were unhappy with how Dark Water‘s storyline explored the themes of death and cremation.

The broadcaster stated on its complaints page: “Doctor Who is a family drama with a long tradition of tackling some of the more fundamental questions about life and death. We were mindful of the themes explored in ‘Dark Water’ and are confident that they are appropriate in the context of the heightened sci-fi world of the show.

“The scene in which a character reveals 3W’s unconventional theory about the afterlife was preceded by the same character warning the Doctor and Clara several times that what they were about to hear could be distressing. When the Doctor does hear these claims, he immediately pours scorn on them, dismissing them out of hand as a “con” and a “racket”. It transpires that he is correct, and the entire concept is revealed to be a scam perpetrated by Missy.”"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest concern with the episode was it may put people off donating their body/ organs to science after they die

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My biggest concern with the episode was it may put people off donating their body/ organs to science after they die
    not like plenty of religions dont do that anyways though.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Uhmmm... the people who somehow believe Doctor Who is real? Not to mention that even in-story the consciousness of the dead was stored in a technological matrix (not every dead person ever was in there). The Master turned on the ability for conscious minds to feel a link to their body as more pressure for the minds to delete their own emotions (like fear) so they would be easily downloaded into Cybermen bodies.

so uh, the bbc just posted this "many faces of missy/the master" thing.

guesses that she was lying seem dead now.

The Many Faces of Missy / the Master…

Before she regenerated and took the name Missy, she was known as the Master, universally…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p01bb844

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, I guess that ends that theory... Master it is!

I still say the Rani fits the character she's shown more than the master does

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

- - - Updated - - -

theory

- - - Updated - - -

Deleted
    The hand is Clara's. Missy/Master can't escape from Gallifrey via the painting because the painting is not actually Gallifrey. It's just a representation of Gallifrey.

hmmm

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Welp, I guess that ends that theory... Master it is!

I still say the Rani fits the character she's shown more than the master does
    Maybe Seb is Rani? If the master can sex changed, why can't another? :P
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Maybe Seb is Rani? If the master can sex changed, why can't another? :P
    A good point, I've heard a few theories about him, my favourite was that Missy is really Rani and Seb is the Master, and one I'd love to be true but it clearly isn't that Seb is really Ianto.

tbh i too would prefer the rani, or romana. simply because the master was just a little TOO obvious and because well, its not like the masters return wouldnt have been imminent anyways what with gallifrey coming back at some point.

but even so i love missy. even if she was that dinosaur from deep breath i would still think she was awesome

15+ Year Old Account
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Dark Legacy is entertaining, but hardly fitting in the Doctor Who thread unless there's some Who joke, and if there is, I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    [IMG]http://33.media.tumblr.com/2711c91af731093a133109f031dc8421/tumblr_mwv7q3nTMl1sonopio1_500.gif[G]
    Oh.

Streeeeeetch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Dark Legacy is entertaining, but hardly fitting in the Doctor Who thread unless there's some Who joke, and if there is, I can't see it.

Oh.

Streeeeeetch.
    /facenose......

/facenose......
    Oh come on, surely Who didn't invent the "Who nose?" joke.