Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I agree i wouldn't call it a Christmas special besides the fact it released on Xmas. Nardole and 12 are a good combo but i didn't care for the super hero story nor the bland superhero references thrown all out the episode. The plot sucked because there was none and the villains were useless and played second fiddle kinda like the Doctor did. The show didnt feel like Dr. Who and it has now turned into a kids show run by the worlds biggest fanyboy. TLDR the episode felt lazy.

I thought the dialogue was killer, and it was quite fun, even if it didn't have some intricate plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I have no idea what that first line is meant to say... I'm going to assume you're echoing the sentiments of many who said it wasn't very christmassy, for a christmas special. To which my reply is the same as it has been to others...

Fucking good. I don't care what the plot is, as long as the plot is worth watching. I mean, would it REALLY have made the episode THAT much more enjoyable if at the end the new couple had sat down to a christmas dinner? if there had been some decorations hanging in the office block?

Haha good luck not spoiling anything! Just been through that with the 100 and it was ssooo tricky.

Unless of course, you think she meant the actress, and not the character?
    i dont think anyone is saying it made the episode bad or anything. it just feels weird.

were all so used to the christmas specials being about christmas. this is the first ever one where they barely even acknowledge christmas. doesnt change the quality of the episode itself but this couldve easily been episode 4 of series 10 and i wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

it be kind of like if there was a scene where spider-man wore a christmas hat and they tried to say homecoming was a christmas movie. it wouldnt feel right. regardless of whether the movies good or not.

but like you said, id rather have a good episode than a christmassy one. although i feel theres something about christmas that makes the christmas specials feel good even if theyre not always the best.

i kinda like the cheese of killer christmas trees and flying fish and towns where people cant lie. hard to describe but it just fits even if it be shit in a normal episode.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    I agree i wouldn't call it a Christmas special besides the fact it released on Xmas. Nardole and 12 are a good combo but i didn't care for the super hero story nor the bland superhero references thrown all out the episode. The plot sucked because there was none and the villains were useless and played second fiddle kinda like the Doctor did. The show didnt feel like Dr. Who and it has now turned into a kids show run by the worlds biggest fanyboy. TLDR the episode felt lazy.
    TIL that Doctor Who was, at some point, apparently not a kids' show.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    TIL that Doctor Who was, at some point, apparently not a kids' show.
    Honestly I just see it as a show, and not necessarily either. Though there are some episodes that I think does pass the boundaries of it not being a kid show(fuck silence in the library).
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

So questions for the American doctor who viewers here. Every time I marathon watch doctor who I start slipping British English words in with my American English words involuntarily. Do any of you do this?
    Last edited by the game; 2016-12-29 at 11:15 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So questions for the American doctor who viewers here. Every time I marathon watch doctor who I start slipping British English words in with my American English words involuntarily. Do any of you do this?
    im a british person who lives in america. i certainly use british slang more often when i watch or am around other british people.

had a nice laugh the other day in a walmart when i met an old british couple and we fucking burst out laughing because she was buying christmas crackers and the cashier was like "what are these? fireworks? do i need to id you for these?"

before that i didnt even know walmart sold christmas crackers in america.

usually doesnt take me long to stop though because you get weird looks and "what?" "speak english" ....

everytime i hear that...

- - - Updated - - -

granted. this is what i mean by british slang :P

- - - Updated - - -

if you really wanna have a go at it listen to a bunch of loyle carner

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im a british person who lives in america. i certainly use british slang more often when i watch or am around other british people.

had a nice laugh the other day in a walmart when i met an old british couple and we fucking burst out laughing because she was buying christmas crackers and the cashier was like "what are these? fireworks? do i need to id you for these?"

before that i didnt even know walmart sold christmas crackers in america.

usually doesnt take me long to stop though because you get weird looks and "what?" "speak english" ....

everytime i hear that...

- - - Updated - - -

granted. this is what i mean by british slang :P

- - - Updated - - -

if you really wanna have a go at it listen to a bunch of loyle carner

I tried getting some Christmas crackers this year. My Grandma is from Liverpool and I thought she might enjoy a British tradition. Unfortunately I started looking the night before christmas and didn't have any cash. However I think I may try and order some for next Christmas. Full disclosure though I didn't know about Christmas crackers before Doctor Who

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Wow, I genuinely hated that christmas special. That's disappointing :\
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... Do they not have Christmas Crackers in the US? What do they do between courses on christmas dinner? Where do they get their paper hats from... And the terribad jokes?

I'm so confused...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Wait... Do they not have Christmas Crackers in the US? What do they do between courses on christmas dinner? Where do they get their paper hats from... And the terribad jokes?

I'm so confused...
    they dont

they just eat ham and open presents its fucking disgraceful

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm so confused...
    Courses? We just lay out a table like it's Golden Corral, say thanks to baby Jesus (sometimes with his own birthday cake), then we eat a bunch of oversalted and mostly flavorless food. Once that's done, we all awkwardly stare at our parents and grandparents hoping we can open presents and get the fuck out of there. As soon as that's done, we make a bunch of lame excuses for why we need to leave and we're on our way home to play video games.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Those... Those poor people... Whatever have they done to deserve this?

Oh... Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Courses? We just lay out a table like it's Golden Corral
    All jokes aside, that sounds fucking terrible XD. I've never been a big fan of the festive season, I find the whole process rather ridiculous...

But that doesn't stop me and my family from making sure that Christmas dinner is the best thing we eat all year... 5+ course, hours of food. Our record is 10 hours of near continuous eating.

And it wouldn't be complete without CRACKERS! One at the start of the meal, one between each course and usually one at the end.

Sometimes, we even have some left over for new years!

It's superb.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an "English to English" translator app in my skull now. Thanks a lot, Doctor.

15+ Year Old Account
    American here. When I have watched a lot of Doctor Who I have used a bit of slang, the furthest I have gone is using 'bloody hell'. The only one that I actually use commonly is 'cheers'. People seem to understand what that means.

As for meals, my Christmas dinner had two courses, one main then the deserts. And no, I don't think I have actually seen a Christmas cracker in real life.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Enjoyed the xmas special. I'm worried about understanding the new companion, though. I've seen tons of british shows and I'm usually okay outside of period pieces with heavy accent/slang and that one girl from Misfits. But for some reason I only caught about half her words in the preview.

I'm so confused...
    We don't have "courses" for christmas dinner. We just make ham sandwiches and potato salad and stuff. We also don't wear paper hats.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Full disclosure though I didn't know about Christmas crackers before Doctor Who
    Same here, I'd always assumed 'Christmas crackers' was some sort of chip until I saw them used on Doctor Who.

I'm still trying to work out the whole Christmas Pantomime thing, though...

I'm sad that nobody is selling Mr Huffle yet.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Oddly enough, I think that squeaky toy can keep the Doctor in line more than any other previous companion with the exception of maybe Donna.