Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I don't get the hate against Clara. Really. She was great in The Bells of Saint John, so it's not her characters fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    i disliked the magma creatures, and the space salvagers storyline was pretty bad.

I wish we had seen more of the inner tardis. overall good episode though.
    Hi

Deleted
    Strax next week. Yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I don't get the hate against Clara. Really. She was great in The Bells of Saint John, so it's not her characters fault.
    I think it's just going from a person that's so exuberant as Amy to someone that is 99% normal like Clara#3 which gives her a boring aura >.< Especially when you consider that Amy had far more air time/ time to develop her character...

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I think it's just going from a person that's so exuberant as Amy to someone that is 99% normal like Clara#3 which gives her a boring aura >.< Especially when you consider that Amy had far more air time/ time to develop her character...
    Did you hate Amy before she got her two seasons of air time then?

I think Clara is supposed to be normal, at least until The Name of the Doctor, where her true nature is revealed. Still, I think Moffat writes her well, in all three versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you hate Amy before she got her two seasons of air time then?

I think Clara is supposed to be normal, at least until The Name of the Doctor, where her true nature is revealed. Still, I think Moffat writes her well, in all three versions.
    No i thought she was a stripper. Which was an improvement from not having a permanent companion :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My god... if they explain why Clara keeps coming back she will have practically 0 personality/ interesting things going for her :S
    Why couldn't we just have the #1/ #2 clara The Nose and The Chin!

also

http://i.imgur.com/fEg0ty1.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/KOgyHTx.jpg

They both like to sit down! /gasp

the first picture, there is probably more hearts on the top, but its covered by the coat

and second picture, either its a plausible theory, although she is found to be human, i think the doctor would have noticed if she was part time lord, or its just that the BBC has a terrible budget and reuses props a lot :P

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 08:11 PM ----------

anyway, the writes left this little note clara hasn't met the doctor just 3 times

So, the theory. I once posted that I thought that everything we saw involving Clara pre-TBOSJ may have been a result of her becoming the Doctor's companion in TBOSJ. People don't normally show up across space and time multiple times. However, as we've seen a lot in New Who, ordinary people can become extraordinary when traveling with the Doctor.
    Clara has saved the day in nearly every episode she has been in. In the finale, she's going to warn the Doctor after receiving an impossible conference call - it is obvious that this impossible call is going to be a call from herself.
    Time in DW isn't linear, so some events could occur next season which ultimately directly the events this season. Why is that important? The Clara's all throughout time could be a result of something that happens to her while adventuring with the Doctor in the future (in reference to the Doctor and Clara's current time line). Why and how has she met the Doctor more than 3 times? I think Clara was sent throughout time to aid him and warn him to prevent something from happening in his future (something that Clara must have been present for). She is simultaneously throughout all of time, much like Bad Wolf, thus the essence which is Clara has met the Doctor any number of times. She could meet future Doctors and past Doctors, but for some reason, the Doctor can't remember.
    Think about the repeated phrase - "Run you clever boy, and remember". Remember what? We've been assuming she means her remember her. What if there is a message the Doctor needs to remember? What if the Doctor has run into Clara are far more times than he can remember? And why run? While in AOTD it is clear he should run, it isn't in The Snowmen, and it's out of context in TBOSJ. The message has a meaning, and I think she's trying to get him to run from something, to save himself, and it will only occur if he remembers something he has forgotten.
    Moffat says the Doctor needs to be saved. I think Clara is the one saving him, by pushing herself throughout all of space and time to be exactly where he needs her to be.
    EDIT: Is it possible that in the 50th, the Bad Wolf (aka Rose) is the one to send Clara across time? We know there are tons of Rose references, and a very specific Wolf reference in Cold War. I really was hoping this wasn't the case, but it really makes a lot of sense. This would tie the theory into the 50th. I'm not sure if this makes me happy or not.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/co...hile_back_but/

a good theory there.

Just putting this out here while I go watch Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS (fi-nal-ly!)

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-hmph...vity-48421.htm

Just putting this out here while I go watch Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS (fi-nal-ly!)

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-hmph...vity-48421.htm
    This article is talking about how comments about the series have become more negative over the past couple years. Which is true about anything that gets a fan base. Have you been to The Walking Dead forum? It's a lot worse than this thread I'll tell you that much. And let's not even mention Star Wars rage. I think we are all fanfic writers (if just in our own heads) about where the Doctor Who series is leading and what WE would do if we were in charge so that may create an unobtainable expectation. But, I think more likely, we have consumed so much entertainment media in our lives that we know poor character development & obvious story mistakes when we see them.

My personal critique (here I go with the negativity) is that creating an entire season of one-and-done episodes has ruined this entire season. Think about how subtly powerful the Bad Wolf arc became, or the impact of the mystery of River Song had on their respective seasons. There is nothing going on in season 7 to tie these episodes together... it's like when you go to a play you expect three acts, but in this season's Doctor Who each act has nothing to do with the other acts. /rantoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    This article is talking about how comments about the series have become more negative over the past couple years. Which is true about anything that gets a fan base. Have you been to The Walking Dead forum? It's a lot worse than this thread I'll tell you that much. And let's not even mention Star Wars rage. I think we are all fanfic writers (if just in our own heads) about where the Doctor Who series is leading and what WE would do if we were in charge so that may create an unobtainable expectation. But, I think more likely, we have consumed so much entertainment media in our lives that we know poor character development & obvious story mistakes when we see them.

My personal critique (here I go with the negativity) is that creating an entire season of one-and-done episodes has ruined this entire season. Think about how subtly powerful the Bad Wolf arc became, or the impact of the mystery of River Song had on their respective seasons. There is nothing going on in season 7 to tie these episodes together... it's like when you go to a play you expect three acts, but in this season's Doctor Who each act has nothing to do with the other acts. /rantoff.
    The Clara plot is much stronger than the Bad Wolf one imo. The "ties" in the first four seasons was really just useless foreshadowing you couldn't use for anything before the finale happened. I liked the way season 5 did it, with the rift playing an actual role in the episodes, and season 6 was very story centered around the River/Silence thing.

In Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, they did touch on the Doctors name and Clara being a mystery, both of which will play a role in the last episode of the season.

I'm not a big fan of the blockbuster a week approach, I know that the big story arch in season 6 doesn't sell well to the TV audience though, which annoys me a lot. Season 5 had a nice structure, but it was season 6 that really pushed the big Silence/River/Doctor Who? story arc.

I don't think it's Clara people don't like, I think it's the blockbuster a week thing.

And another thing is a lot of people complaining about Clara are people who started with Smith, those people got two and a half seasons with Amy, Rory, and River and got attached to them, but if you have been watching Doctor Who from any other point you know stuff changes all the time, I mean seasons 1-4 of the new serious there was a major cast change every season.

The people who aren't used to the constant changes probably miss the whole Amy/Rory companions thing, so they find it harder to watch when there's a new companion (who I personally love, she has great chemistry with Smith, especially since she technically arrived mid-season). I do like Victorian Clara better than Modern Clara, but I personally like Clara more right now than I liked Amy or Rose this many episodes in for them.

Clara has a personality (and a good foil to the doctor's at that) it's just she isn't developed as the other companions have been yet and that's simply because she hasn't been here as long as them, I personally think people should reserve their judgement of the season till the finale, they may not think anything this season ties together but I believe it somewhat will (although I do wish they'd go back to having two-parters and such)

Clara is just River, Rory, and Donna in a neat little package. Yawn. While I am not terribly impressed with her thus far, I AM looking forward to the finale. Unlike most people apparently, I do want to know his name... if it's handled well. Seeing it somewhere that he scribbled it, or another character having an "Oopsie!" moment would be lame.

Also, any news on a US S7 release? Not S7 Pt1, the whole thing.

whatcha mean s7 release.. s7 pt2 is is going on now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    a good theory there.
    My issue with that theory is that Clara grows up in each timeline. The Doctor sees her parents meeting for the first time. So He isn't just meeting her at various times. This is more like the Wheel of Time books, where her character is spun out repeatedly in order to interact with him. This is the issue with her. Everything he can tell shows that she's a normal human, but her repeated existance is 'impossible'.

I've noticed that she always fits the scenario she's put into, I think she's some kind of reflection. In Snowmen, she fills the role of governess after the mother died the year previously. Being there in that role helps the Doctor succeed in the mission. Her picking the word "Pond" the exact word needed to get him to come is not just a coincidence.

In the Asylum she was in the role of a Dalek, as that was what was needed. In the Bells, you see that she manages to aquire the computer skills necessary to thwart the intelligence, in Hide she can sense how the two people feel about eachother, and she also senses the presence of not the time traveller, but the 'monster' "I'm Sad" making her possibly a more talented empath than the other girl. In the episodes with the parasite sun, she possesses the leaf, and through it the 'memories' of all the possible future never realised.

Someone said up above that Clara seems to be the one to solve everything in the episodes, and they might have hit the nail dead on the head. Every episode we either see a new side of here, or more possibly she changes somehow to have the solution to hand (big friendly button). The impact that travelling with the Doctor is simple: Before, when she performed her role, Either as Dalek or Governess, she died and was spun out again somewhere anew. But since the Doctor saved her from dying in the Bells, now she's spinning 'out of control' morphing to fit the new role each episode.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who's this Clara everyone talks about? Is that that stupid girl who tagged along with Doctor this time? I thought she's temporary interlude kind of fluke...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    But, I think more likely, we have consumed so much entertainment media in our lives that we know poor character development & obvious story mistakes when we see them.
    You forgot the part that the little mistakes that don't actually ruin characters or stories and are magnified infinitely in our brains by the time we go to talk/write about it. Forums are probably the worst things to happen to games and media, because most people unknowingly allow a collective conscious to form their thoughts for them.

This season has been completely Who. As someone who is a fan of the show because of the writing, the style, the characters...it's just the continued evolution of what Who is. Matt Smith plays a fantastic Doctor, like every single Doctor has before. Clara is also great for a companion...she's normal and different at the same time and plays her character straight from the hip, which I think will make the finale that much more impactful.

In the end it's just our opinions, whether truly our own or not, but the show is still Who. That's the one part that I don't think will ever change, until the day it stops being made. I have a foolish hope that the series will run until my retirement, so I can live out my whole life through the Doctor. This is one show, unlike TWD, where I can watch with my heart and just enjoy every second of it. What happens, happens. They can't all be my favorite episode *shrug*
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Who's this Clara everyone talks about? Is that that stupid girl who tagged along with Doctor this time? I thought she's temporary interlude kind of fluke...
    Have you not been watching this season....

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    You forgot the part that the little mistakes that don't actually ruin characters or stories and are magnified infinitely in our brains by the time we go to talk/write about it. Forums are probably the worst things to happen to games and media, because most people unknowingly allow a collective conscious to form their thoughts for them.

This season has been completely Who. As someone who is a fan of the show because of the writing, the style, the characters...it's just the continued evolution of what Who is. Matt Smith plays a fantastic Doctor, like every single Doctor has before. Clara is also great for a companion...she's normal and different at the same time and plays her character straight from the hip, which I think will make the finale that much more impactful.

In the end it's just our opinions, whether truly our own or not, but the show is still Who. That's the one part that I don't think will ever change, until the day it stops being made. I have a foolish hope that the series will run until my retirement, so I can live out my whole life through the Doctor. This is one show, unlike TWD, where I can watch with my heart and just enjoy every second of it. What happens, happens. They can't all be my favorite episode *shrug*
    I really like and agree with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    And another thing is a lot of people complaining about Clara are people who started with Smith, those people got two and a half seasons with Amy, Rory, and River and got attached to them, but if you have been watching Doctor Who from any other point you know stuff changes all the time, I mean seasons 1-4 of the new serious there was a major cast change every season.
    I've watched it since the reboot, and I still find her boring as fuck. Perhaps it's just because we've seen numerous iterations of her and this is the least entertaining of the three.
    Meh.
    And Donna was by far and still is my favourite companion, if it matters. It's all my opinion, though!

Edit: Hell, it may even be influenced by me seeing her in her previous roles on Emmerdale and Waterloo Road where I absolutely hated her characters.
    Last edited by ELYPOP; 2013-04-29 at 01:34 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Have you not been watching this season....
    I have. I still can't believe Clara is a permanent companion and not some Martha Jones, who by the way was way better than Clara is so far.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I have. I still can't believe Clara is a permanent companion and not some Martha Jones, who by the way was way better than Clara is so far.
    Martha Jones was a permanent companion. She was with him for an entire season. By your logic there has only been 2 companions in the reboot.