Deleted

lfd and quitting

if the other four people quit the LFG, there's no way to replace them?

it's getting annoying having to queue for 40+ minutes, be put with some shitty guild who do not know the tactics for anything, just to have them all quit at the same time and me be left on my own. really, it's making me not give a shit about valor points any more, most of the stuff is poorly itemized anyway, or obtainable from other means/not worth the hassle of all these fail quit groups. lrn2play.

it'd be real useful if there was a way, sometimes it has let me continue to search for more people, yet usually, it just removes me from the finder and forces me to research...
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2010-12-24 at 05:20 PM.

I wish we had the option to chose whether or not to join an instance that is already in progress or not. I should have to face 40 minute queues to be forced to help them out or re-queue all over again.

15+ Year Old Account
    inb4 get a guild.

also, i agree, it should be changed if the other 4 people quit.

I haven't experienced this yet, but I can only imagine how annoying it must be. If it forces you to requeue I agree it should be changed to you're placed at the front of the queue.

Never been in this situation but if that's the case, I agree that it should be changed.

That said, yes, get a guild. The game is simply more enjoyable that way, now with Cataclysm even more so.

15+ Year Old Account
    The game encourages you in many ways to join and play with a guild. Now more than ever. Sure you can go solo and pug things, but you'll have to deal with everything that comes with pugging. Even if you don't want a guild, find some friends on the server to do some heroics with. Even pay people if need be.

The group of 4 people in the guild that left are working together to gear themselves for raiding. They probably didn't need anything from the instance. It's not really right what they did, but in a way I can't blame them for wanting to use their time efficiently.

The OP makes a very good point; you should be placed at the front of the dungeon queue if all four other people drop without finishing the dungeon, the same as if you had just finished waiting for your full queue to end, and one person didn't click 'Ready.'

It's worth suggesting directly to Blizzard in their official forums in any case. Let's keep the 'get a guild, hurrr' comments down somewhat, as that's not really what the OP is talking about.

i think that a guild is a good idea, but blizzard should also do their part and make it easy for the people that dont want to join guilds.

I agree it should be changed to you're placed at the front of the queue especially if you are already in a run. you didn't leave the Dungeon so why have to start all over. Expecaily if you got a dungeon on Heroic random that has something you need. Then your locked out of it for the rest of the day if your group "happened" to down a boss. not soo bad for my Tank but when on my lock its an all day thing on my server.

Well, have to say i hate it with a passion when that happens, but what can you do?
    Guild runs? Yeah, well, the guild i am in is not that large, and you have your groups who run with their own circle of guildies, and if you dont get an invite, too bad. Also, timings can be a bugger, because you wait for a healer or tank to log on, or you have limited time to run an instance because R/L happens.
    All i can suggest is either wait out till people are around or pug it

Quote Originally Posted by Almost everyone who replies to these threads
    get a guild
    This
    is getting
    REALLY
    #%$*^&
    OLD!

If the intention was that a guild was needed to complete these, then the LFD system needs to be removed. And don't tell me that you NEVER use the random dungeon finder for any reason, and that EVERY dungeon you've done has been 5/5 guild. As long as the system is present and used it needs to be the baseline, not the elite S.W.A.T. team you build out of your guildmates. If your polymorphing mage DCs and the LFD gives you a fury warrior to replace him, are you screwed? What almost no one wants to admit is that everything is skewed toward one thing or another (be it CC, damage, heals, or tanking.) If one of your guildmates wants to take his Ret paladin to the group to get some gear upgrades, does the conversation go like this? "No Johnny, switch to your warlock, we need fear and banish." "But I don't need anything for my 'lock there." "There's no 'I' in team mister, get crackin' for the good of the guild." All CC should be equal and the dungeon finder should take that into account, but it doesn't. Root is not equal to sleep/repentance/banish/fear/polymorph/etc. if the majority of the pack you're pulling is casters and ranged. Hammer of Justice still sends "IMMUNE" across my screen when I try to interrupt some spells, and even though I know I can Repentance a family of mobs I still see the odd "IMMUNE" go past trying to CC something of the same family. Stuff like this is usually why a lot of people I see bail on groups because when it fails it's highly noticeable and usually causes a wipe. One DPS should be able to be replaced with any other DPS and have no impact on the run. One CC should be able to replaced by any other form of CC and have no impact on the run. One healer or tank should be able to replaced by any other healer or tank and have no impact on the run. That's how the system works. However the dungeons don't agree with that system and there's a major disconnection between both ends on Blizzard's side. Running dungeons with a guild group does not correct your issues if the character you want to take is not a favorable class/spec to take in. A fury warrior or a ret paladin should not have to spec as protection to get into a dungeon and gear up their main spec.
    Break's over, gotta get back to work.

/rant

Holy Raspberries Boogieknight! That wall of text can make people go blind.

On a more serious note, the LFD tool has as much issues as it got good points. The matchmaking is quite a delicate thing, you want to ensure a balanced group with some CC and about a medium gear level (so a weak DpS can be countered with a strong DpS or the weak tank/good healer thing) also not pushing too many plate/mail/leather/cloth in there. I dunno what will be a good way to do this 'and' keep the waiting time down. The current matchmaking is pretty ok.

The whole "get a guild" thing is not about actually joining a guild but to run with people you know and can rely on. Basically make friends with a tank, heal, cc and go with them if you are a "no cc" class. It works wonders. I always replace open spots in my guilds groups with people I know from PuG raids or "real" LFD dungeons (I pug alot, since my guild is not active enough :/ ).
    It can be a pita, but that's also something that happened when pugs were formed in /1 in IF/Org, even if you got all classes and specs together, you may still not be able to complete father flame because you just cherry-picked all the fed up semi-afk raiders and half their gear was not earned but just "discarded" onto them. Hell, those people could have also been part of your own raid...
    And the easiest way to organize yourself with people you know is a guild. But once a guild becomes a place where you don't even know most of the people, it's just the same as a damp dark PuG again.

The reply "get a guild" is no good in itself, it should be "go with people you know, or adapt that randomness sucks".

Anyway, this is only remotely connected to what the OPs problem is. He is okay with being on the LDF tool and all the issues it may bring in terms of bads and impossible setups. But the main thing is that his dungeon group ends the moment the other people leave the dungeon and he's back to the end of the line after being in the group for like 10s. That is something that should definitely not happen to anyone.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    People really need to realize that it is impossible to please everybody. First off, Blizzard is a business. They'll do almost everything they can to minimize the amount they need to spend to stay profitable. I'm not a programmer myself, but that seems like something that would take a rather long amount of time to implement properly. Second, I hate to say it, but you're probably in the minority now. If you really don't want to risk it, then go with at least a friend that you know that will stick around, or accept crummy things can and will happen with LFD. It's nothing new.

It indeed is crappy that if 4 people leave, you can't replace them. Does this happen often? I don't pug full groups, so I'm not sure, but either way... there should be something in place to allow you to stay in the queue or even move to the front of it. Sorry for your bad luck though : /

Yeah, the LFG Tool can be a huge pain in the ass these days with the massive difficulty just from the end of WotLK to Cata Heroics.
    And even with a guild, like most people say, it isn't all rainbows and cookies. Not everyone is logged on all the time, and if the run takes longer than expected? some guildies may have to leave.

We had this happen today. We ran with our guild's Main Tank and 3 of our DPS, and had to pug a healer. We got H Grim Batol. we made it all the way to Erudax pretty smoothly, when our tank had to leave for Family Christmas Dinner. No big deal, two of us DPSers were Off-Tanks for our guild and we pulled in another DPS from the guild.
    One Hour, Seven Wipes, Five Healers, another Guildie-DPS, and a Tank/DPS Switch later, we finally downed Erudax.

Moral of this silly story: Even guild runs can suffer similar issues. Three out of those Five healers we got were completely incompetent, one just got annoyed after our Main Tank left, and the last guy was awesome. Lots of people weren't ready for Cataclysm, which is where the problem is coming from.

Hopefully Blizz learns from this expansion as well, and finds the happy medium between WotLK Heroics and Cata Heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieknight View Post
    And don't tell me that you NEVER use the random dungeon finder for any reason, and that EVERY dungeon you've done has been 5/5 guild. As long as the system is present and used it needs to be the baseline, not the elite S.W.A.T. team you build out of your guildmates.
    You are aware, of course, that normal mode instances - not heroic mode - are the baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I wish we had the option to chose whether or not to join an instance that is already in progress or not. I should have to face 40 minute queues to be forced to help them out or re-queue all over again.
    They already talked about this earlier in the week in a blue post. If they allowed that option then no one would ever join an in progress group and once someone drops everyone might as well leave. Defeating the entire purpose.