Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Move with mouse, w is still bound to forward for me and a & d are strafe.

My keybinds are:

q e r t f g v b
    mouse button 1, mouse button 2
    shift & all of the above
    control & all of the above

Hope that helps !

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this might be unreasonable, but consider getting a Naga. I've always been a keybinder, but even as a clicker, I'm sure it would really help you get used to using keybinds. At the minimum, you can easily reach 12 binds. I use shift as a modifier, so that just as easily makes 24.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

If you are willing to spend the money buy the Razer Naga, its wonderful for key binding. before using the Naga i would be using e,s,d,f to move and wazxcvbgrthyn as key binds with modifiers Ctrl and shift . I would recommend that you key bind your main rotation first then slowly add more that are not used in a consistent basis . Also i got tab target on scroll wheel which really helps.

OT: Can any1 with the n52te tell me which keys in the keyboard it uses on the pad? thinking of buying one but I don't want to buy something that replaces the same keys as my Naga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ababydog View Post
    I have all my long CDs and less used spells on F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8

My most used spells are on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My side spells and used frequently spells I have on , . ; ' [ ] \ - =

I have very small hands but after 2-3 years of pvping I know were my fingers are about 95% of the time.

I have small hands but after many years of playing I can easily move my fingers around and know where they are about 90% of the time.
    I have a keypad but didn't use it because it was hard for me to get used to
    F1-F4 are ok for stances and the like. F5 or anything past that is not. The default keybinds do absolutely nothing. They are completely useless (minus maybe assist). qertfgzxcv are doing absolutely nothing for you, but you're reaching to hit f8? That's really inefficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good binds is only half the job done. Once you've got keybinds setup, you need to go to a training dummy and spend as long as you can just practising your rotation until you have it perfect. Then take a short break and go back and do it again, until perfect. Don't just rock up to a raid with keybinds and expect to perform anywhere near well. You WILL be terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    Good binds is only half the job done. Once you've got keybinds setup, you need to go to a training dummy and spend as long as you can just practising your rotation until you have it perfect. Then take a short break and go back and do it again, until perfect. Don't just rock up to a raid with keybinds and expect to perform anywhere near well. You WILL be terrible.
    or you could do something that actually represents a real combat situation like doing a dungeon with your guild or going and practising it on mobs in twilight highlands. imo, training dummies are pointless, they have no actual value for using many important abilities such as health regen abilities that you dont need against a training dummy, but might need very often in questing or dungeons

I didn't sift through all of the posts above me but here's a few starter guide that may or may not have been covered already.

First - get bartender or a similar addon to do keybinds on the fly.
    Decide on movement keys. Personally, I use e to walk s and f to strafe. Take keyboard turn off of your keyboard.
    Choose 4-6 keys right around your movement keys and put your main abilities.

Take an hour or so, and get used to walking with just strafe and mouseturn, and memorizing your new 4-6 keybinds. before you move on, you should be able to think "Rejuv" and press the button it's bound to without having to think about where the button is.

Pick another 6 or so binds. Repeat the above step.
    Keep going until you start to run out of room, then start binding things with shift+ modifiers.

Try to keep similar things in similar places for all of your toons. Personally, any toon with a disarm has that spell bound to 4, silences and interupts always bound to 2, things like PW:S or Barkskin bound to 5, healthstones/potions bound to 6.

Also, get creative and don't forget about your mouse. Some of my favorite keybinds are on my mouse. Shift + mouse scroll down is disengage on my hunter, mouse scroll down is life drain on my warlock, shift + mouse scroll up is typhoon on my boomkin, etc etc.

---------- Post added 2011-01-02 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    or you could do something that actually represents a real combat situation like doing a dungeon with your guild or going and practising it on mobs in twilight highlands. imo, training dummies are pointless, they have no actual value for using many important abilities such as health regen abilities that you dont need against a training dummy, but might need very often in questing or dungeons
    Spending time on a training dummy is by far the best way to start, it doesnt need to be a "combat situation" the point is to develop muscle memory for your keybind hand.
    Last edited by smashzu; 2011-01-02 at 07:58 PM.

i like to use 1 2 3 4 5 6, then F1 F2 F3 F4 F5. I have smaller hands and just can't reach shift and ctrl with my pinky finger.
    I havn't used the Alt key yet but i might start and see how it feels
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    Doing something that represents a real combat situation is the worst thing you could do. You need your rotation sorted before you go in to combat. You need to get your action/reaction muscle memory sorted before you think about combat. Once you feel comfortable on a dummy, then go and do a heroic with your guild or whatever. Going in to combat with no clue what you're doing will teach you nothing except how to mash buttons randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    Doing something that represents a real combat situation is the worst thing you could do. You need your rotation sorted before you go in to combat. You need to get your action/reaction muscle memory sorted before you think about combat. Once you feel comfortable on a dummy, then go and do a heroic with your guild or whatever. Going in to combat with no clue what you're doing will teach you nothing except how to mash buttons randomly.
    Going to have to agree here. I would suggest going into a BG; but I'm not sure how seriously you take BGs, or how you even feel about PvP.

Deleted
    I'm using keybinds since well over 15 years coming from playing a lot of FPS games. Basically, it's just a matter of taste and the most important thing is to feel comfortable. My hands are not that big and that's why I really don't like using a lot of modifier keys like alt, shift, control, or the F keys to the very top of the keyboard.

Code:
     ^ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ß ´
    TAB Q W E R T Z U I O P Ü +          (German layout btw :P )
    CAPS A S D F G H J K L Ö Ä #
    Shi < Y X C V B N M , . - Shift
    Ctrl ALT  [__SPACE__] ALTGR Ctrl
    Movement: don't bind turn left/right, bind strafe left/right instead and use the mouse to turn around
    Spammy keys: directly next to your movement keys. Easy accessible and perfect for spammy abilities
    Outer Keys: cooldown abilities or just anything that doesn't require permanent button spam

Thats how I run. Anything black isn't bound (yet).
    Last edited by mmocb7fc6c1c73; 2011-01-06 at 05:07 AM.

(QWERTY keyboards)

QERTFG

F1 -> F4

Shift + any of the above

Ctril works too, but not for people with large hand. Instead, try alt combination if you have larger than average palm.

Unbind Strafe left/right from QE, assign it to AD instead (practically FPS game's movement keybind style).

For spammy spells, try binding it to where you can reach with your fore finger conveniently (myself are FRETG and 345). You might need to pratice move right/left with middle finger.Q1 for ring finger, 2 for middle finger - obviously dont bind anything instant cast on 2 since its quite hard to reach while moving.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2011-01-02 at 08:19 PM.

I have every single thing binded. Its easy, 1-5, QERTFGC, use those with shift, alt, ctrl also. As you wish, f1-f4. Mouse buttons (I have 3 that I use, middle, and 2 on the sides). Simple.

Some general guidelines and thoughts when keybinding:

1) First of all, "panic buttons" should be really easy to reach. Dead dps/healer/tank = worthless. Do NOT bind your iceblock to shift-ctrl-9 or something other silly.
    2) Abilites you use often should be comfortable to use. Just because a button is close doesn't always make it comfy.
    3) Keyboard turning/backpaddling is often wasted buttons. Strafing and mouse turning is just plain faster (Must admit I backpeddle some as well, trying to get rid of that bad habit though)
    4) Modifiers (shift/ctrl/alt) will reduce the amount of other keybinds you need, but using two or more fingers for common abilites can be a pain.
    5) Changing your movement buttons from WASD to ESDF or maybe even further to the right allows you to bind more easy to reach button for your left hand.
    6) Was going with something serious here, but pushed my windowsbutton when tabbing, so this spot gets dedicated at how annoying it can be
    7) Remember everyone is different, just because someone has their keybinds setup in a special way does not mean it's perfect for you, try different things out, see what you like the most
    8) If you're having trouble going from a lot of mouseclicking try getting an addon like bartender and turn your bars invisible, so you actually have to use your keyboard.
    9) Still dont feel like you have enough buttons to bind everything? Then get a different mouse/keyboard with more binding functionality!

Yeah, this became longer than I thought, hope it contains something of value :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I wear a XXL glove so i just use the defualt keys (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,=) plus clicking things on my additional actionbars...i have no Action bar addons either and i do just as good and better as people using all sorts of crazy things to make your screen look like a puzzle box fell open.
    You may be smarter than me but I inherited a multi-million dollar enterprise.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My panic buttons have always been G and V. Super easy to get to.

I used to be a clicker. I managed eventually to get some keybinds going, but I'd not be able to move while using them. I cannot move using the mouse most of the time. It feels foreign to me, and I don't like it. I pretty much only use it was the fastest may to run out of things.

As I'm sure a few people have suggested, having a mouse with a bunch of buttons help. I'm using a Razer Naga my brother gave me. He bought it for himself, but since he prefers actual keybinds, it didn't work out for him. As a Feral druid, I had all of my abilities bound to a 5-button mouse. When he gave me this, it gave me room to work with. If you're not comfortable reaching all over the keyboard, mouse-button binds may be the way to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flareside View Post
    i like to use 1 2 3 4 5 6, then F1 F2 F3 F4 F5. I have smaller hands and just can't reach shift and ctrl with my pinky finger.
    I havn't used the Alt key yet but i might start and see how it feels
    Does your hand look like this?
    img689.imageshack.us/img689/5374/16518503.png

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Driejen View Post
    Does your hand look like this?
    img689.imageshack.us/img689/5374/16518503.png
    lol, thats probably the best thing ever

My suggestion is just pick keys that feel natural to you. Then hide your bars and force yourself to run heroics without bars to look at. That is probably the fastest way to get comfortable with keybinding

Quote Originally Posted by kallette View Post
    Strafing is super useful and as long as I've been playing this game I've never needed to keyboard turn.
    Strafing is indeed super useful, but as for never keyboard turning - I think it depends what role you play. As primarily a healer, I cant always turn with my mouse as that would make me have to choose between moving - or healing. When im healing I often have to move with my keyboard so I can still cast instant cast heals on healbot (or grid if you use grid). Incidently - I do keyboard bind a lot of stuff - but not all. In my case its mainly becuase I have so many alts - that I cant possibly remember all the keybinds for all of them. I also use the arrow keys to move when im not using the mouse to move, because im left handed. Mouse in left hand, WASD just doesnt feel confortable with the mouse in my left hand and using the keyboard in my right. However, the keys above the arrow keys, and the number pad are all perfect choices for keybinding for people using the mouse in their left hand.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 12:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendD View Post
    If a solution that is common works for you go for it, otherwise play with it till you have it working for you. Screw everyone else. ~Rev
    I think this is one of the best answers yet. There is some great advice in this thread, but at the end of the day... If it works for you - thats what matters.