Having trouble with Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Our guild has attempted Halfus Wyrmbreaker this week almost 40-50 times and the best we got to was 45%. Our combo was pretty bad for the week too. We had Slate Dragon and Storm Rider up this week.

Our Strat:
    We've tried talking to Storm initially and the OT tanks him and MT tanks halfus. But the problem is our tanks are almost destroyed in the first 30 secs by then we BL and burn Storm down. Healers spam the tanks like crazy and its still unhealable. I'm sure we are doing something wrong and would love to hear from you guys as to what we are doing wrong.

We've also tried releasing Slate and the whelps right after Storm was dead and the raid took so much damage and it resulted in a wipe. Most of the attempts we had 2 people interrupting the Shadow Nova too.

Can anyone who had the same combo help us with a strat that could help us down this guy this week. We raid tonite too and would love to defeat this guy this week.

Our Raid comp:

Pally (MT)
    Warrior (OT)
    Dest lock
    Ret Pally
    Ele Shaman
    Combat Rogue
    Survival Hunter
    Resto Shaman
    Resto Shaman
    Disc priest

PS EDIT: Our tanks were doing the swap at 9 stacks each.
    Last edited by Shadowstrika; 2010-12-30 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added: tanks swaps

My guild had the same exact drake combo this week on 25 and we got our (first) kill in 3 or 4 attempts. We activated whelps and storm rider- popped heroism and blew through the whelps, then the drake then just burned halfus. It was fairly simple. It sounds to me like your tanks and/or healers just need better gear.

my guild strat was to free the storm rider and the whelps at the same time, with a shaman interupting, you have thew storm and whelps close to each other, AOE whelps down, swap to storm. These must go down ASAP. We have two tanks taunt trading so the MS debuff doesnt get to high.
    After they are down, one tank runs over to the slate and frees him. you can either kill him, or just burst the boss and let the slate live.
    THat was our strat, hope it may have been some help.

Deleted
    By what you wrote I would assume that you weren't swapping tanks on the boss. Even when you take the slate dragon, he will still put his debuff on the tank. Which means that the tanks will keep having to taunt the boss to each other, and the best point to do so is when the stacks of the first tank have worn off (first switch should happen around 3-7 stacks, depending on how quickly stuff dies).

Now for a tactic, this is what I would do:

Release the storm and the whelps at the start.
    One tank aoe tanks all the whelps, and the other tank can take both halfus and the storm. Tank everything at the same place.
    Get your ele shaman to interrupt halfus (using focustarget if he can, so that his dps isn't wasted)
    Pop heroism after the tank has gotten sufficient aggro on the whelps.
    As soon as the tank that's taking both halfus and the storm reaches about 5 stacks, the whelp tank should taunt halfus.
    When the second tank switch happens (when the stacks have fallen off), the tank that was tanking the whelps should now taunt the storm, so that both tanks are tanking something (assuming the whelps are dead, or almost dead by now).
    Burn down the storm drake quickly after all the whelps have been terminated.
    Keep burning the boss after that, and hope you won't hit the enrage. The tanks should keep switching the boss upon tank resets.

I hope this was usefull, goodluck
    Last edited by mmocf3a1a1b543; 2010-12-30 at 04:27 PM.

We had that combo last week, and it was by far the most difficult combo we've had yet. We started with Storm, and burnt him with lust while the tanks traded off at 6 MS stacks. Then we did whelps, and finally afterwards killed slate. We lost one or two dps in the process but ended up killing him on our second try with 3 seconds left on the enrage. This week we got a much easier combo and killed halfus with almost two full minutes lefts on his enrage timer.

Will try some of the above tonite and let you guys know..

My new guild was just trying HC tonight, we were getting 3 drakes out at a time. We were burning down Time Warden asap, then Storm Rider, while cleaving adds that were released by that point. Very hard fight, but definitely in our grasp.

We have enh shaman sitting at Halfus all the time and interrupting shit out of him, you should have your ele make a macro allowing him to stop casting and interrupt Halfus, using focus target.

I really don't think it may be hard in normal, since I was doing fine on HC and those were my first tries on this boss ever :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.