Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Attention mods: Virus in one of the ads

Put this in the General Discussion to get attention, sorry.

I was just browsing through the forums, and when I clicked on the Computer sub-forum, it brought me to another page saying "Blablabla will now scan your computer", clicked the X and it started downloading shit. Just a heads up people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

Moved to the Suggestions and Feedback forum. It should get the attention needed here.

I find it sad that after how many years, that people still see the pop up, know its a pop up, click this pop up and then get angry when they get a virus. This just baffles me to no end, how you can see that its not a program you have, that its just a pop up and people trust it >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    use this
    safety first!
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

People still click banner adds after 15 years of lessons learned? Really?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1710171424
    ^Crap like this is why battle.net threads get locked. Blizzard is not on a crusade against you.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does it even say that he clicked on a banner?
    I thought he was saying that he went on normal forum page and it popped.
    Don't be so hasty to flame.

Mystic! Spinebreaker EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't click on any ad, jesus. L2read post. And I didnt accept any thing that popped up, I clicked the red X. Which then started downloading shit.
    "Rock Knocker"

Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    I didn't click on any ad, jesus. L2read post. And I didnt accept any thing that popped up, I clicked the red X. Which then started downloading shit.
    While you didn't do anything wrong, never click it. Even if it's the X. Most of them will download the virus even if you press the X. Alt + F4 the browser and do a quick cleanup (CCleaner ftw) or a scan just to be safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TTerminator999 View Post
    While you didn't do anything wrong, never click it. Even if it's the X. Most of them will download the virus even if you press the X. Alt + F4 the browser and do a quick cleanup (CCleaner ftw) or a scan just to be safe.
    Learned my lesson :P
    "Rock Knocker"

Depending on the version once you have the popup any clicking anywhere will install the program. If memory serves the only way to stop it from installing is alt-f4 to kill the window.

TTerminator999 beat me to the punch.

I had this happen to me too earlier today. It's not quite a virus, but more like one of those fake anti-virus ads. I couldn't even see what adds were on the page to record what they were before I was redirected to it.

Folks forget that new people are joining the online community all the time. Most of us are older and have been doing this for a long time and know the warning signs to look out for.

Regardless of what the OP was doing, don't forget that there are people who fall for these things not because they are stupid, but because they don't know any better yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onisuofdreams View Post
    Folks forget that new people are joining the online community all the time. Most of us are older and have been doing this for a long time and know the warning signs to look out for.

Regardless of what the OP was doing, don't forget that there are people who fall for these things not because they are stupid, but because they don't know any better yet.
    Once again, read the first post. I didn't click any ads, I clicked on the link to the COMPUTER OffTopic Forum, and this IMMEDIATELY popped up.
    "Rock Knocker"

The scammers will make a window that resembles your OS windows, it's easily identifiable as if you click on a browser or open your C drive etc the graphics are not the same. If you can right click the popup in your taskbar and end it. If in doubt of where to click, just move your mouse over where you think you can close it and press Right Click for the menu, if it's a fake button apart of the ad then the menu will give you Flash options. Never left click potential scams instead right click it.

As dranx said, this is NOT an issue from clicking on an ad or a popup. There is an ad that is redirecting you immediately when it happens to be on the page.

This same thing happened to me, i didnt click the pop up , i just opened the forum and POP it came, i ended the process and virus scanned the PC but yea theres definatly one of these annoying things floating around MMO-champion

Same thing to me, except I got a "This page is a bad page" thing from firefox. Lets look into this mods!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Dranx, no worries, you logged off IRC before I could thank you. I didn't mean to be rude, my apologies.

I informed another administrator just in case.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

The X is fake, never click anywhere on a pop-up, Just end your browser process and start over.

virus threats in a curse-owned entity? shocking.