Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Prot warrior inc dmg compared to other tanking classes.

Now this might already have been posted if so i missed it but a few nights ago i went doing Omnotron system fight and a priest complained about me taking more damage then the paladin tank i checked my Skada and she was right coz i didnt start the fight but the paladin did and i still took a 1 million more damage then the paladin now i dont know if i did something wrong from my research on several websites my spec and glyph's are oke and so are my stats when buffed.

Does anyone know what could cause this or is there anyone else with the same problem?.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    first of all, whats the stats on you and the paladin?

coz that could simply be the problem

did you use stuff like shield wall ect to take less dmg? (did the pala?)

15+ Year Old Account
    I currently got 11.51% Dodge 10.56% Parry and 46.70 Block and the paladin is about the same on starts some a bit higher some a bit lower.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Omnitron is awful as a comparison. For all we know, you sucked and the paladin didn't.

It also depends on what bosses you tanked.

This is rather odd. I have tanked on my prot warrior along with a DK and a druid, and I take far less damage than those two tanks I run with. We have comparable gear levels (around i345-350, where I'm on the low end), and we all have good working understanding of our classes, with specs/glyphs/talents that suit the content.

Can you link your armory so we can see how you're geared and talented please?

Deleted
    As said, depends what boss you tanked, and how well you did it.
    Did you stand in the flame thrower?
    Did you attack electron and toxitron after they put up shields? Did you stand in the slime? Etc etc.

---------- Post added 2011-01-01 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chaltione View Post
    This is rather odd. I have tanked on my prot warrior along with a DK and a druid, and I take far less damage than those two tanks I run with. We have comparable gear levels (around i345-350, where I'm on the low end), and we all have good working understanding of our classes, with specs/glyphs/talents that suit the content.

Can you link your armory so we can see how you're geared and talented please?
    Ye, dks and druids take far more damage then warriors and paladins atm.
    Damage taken by tanks goes something like this atm

Paladin/warrior > DK > Hunter pet > druid

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the reply's

No i didnt attack the shield nor did i stand in the slime of adds or flamethrower or gas cloud.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...liver/advanced
    compared too
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ralia/advanced
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2011-01-01 at 08:29 PM.

Your gear and the pally seem to be about even, so assuming you both use mitigation skills properly and don't mess up on the mechanics, I have no explaination other than pallies having more sustainable mitigation, where ours are more spiky and depend on the RNG to be kind for it to be "even".

I will most likely do some raids soon with a pally and will log it and see how it looks, and if this thread is still alive, I'll post the logs.

Deleted
    Hmm, it does seem a little odd.

Your Paladins tanking gear is slightly better but overall both your tanking stats are almost identical. Armor, HP, Dodge, Parry and Block are all pretty close.

Your Reforging seems a little random though. You seem to Reforge almost every Stat into some other Stat. Assuming you have enough Threat and your HP is solid, you should Try to maximize Mastery as much as possible to even-out incoming damage.

However, while I don't know the Omnitron Fight, it could potentially be a L2P issue rather than a gear/class issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried to balance out my stats thats why its random i doubt reforging everything to mastery is the best thing too do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I tried to balance out my stats thats why its random i doubt reforging everything to mastery is the best thing too do.
    Ya, it is. Until you can reach the overall block cap, what you should do is reforge everything to mastery and keep dodge and parry as close to eachother as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I don't. Mastery is by far the best mitigation stat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Ya, it is. Until you can reach the overall block cap, what you should do is reforge everything to mastery and keep dodge and parry as close to eachother as possible.
    Parry far more useful to warrior tanks than dodge (due to Hold the Line talent linked to crit block/mastery/crit).

On topic: threat is only situationally an issue while raiding once initial threat lead is obtained mainly due to Vengeance, at least for paladin tanks (not sure about other tank specs). So, paladins have the luxury of switching almost exclusively to mitigation. Instead of dumping their Holy Power into a big threat ability (Shield of the Righteous) they can put it all into a big heal (Word of Glory). In addition, they can specifically talent and glyph in ways to optimize that dynamic self-healing.

You can think of it like they have the best of warrior survivability (block+Holy Shield) and they have rotation-based self-healing like a DK's Death Strike including absorb (talented Word of Glory) and then to top it off they have their own superb pally cooldowns.

The above still depends on a pally tank who knows what they are doing in terms of rotation, gearing and talents. That's why not all paladins will seem to have the best mitigation/survivability.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-01-01 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    You can think of it like they have the best of warrior survivability (block+Holy Shield) and they have rotation-based self-healing like a DK's Death Strike including absorb (talented Word of Glory) and then to top it off they have their own superb pally cooldowns.
    On the other hand paladins lack gap closer, viable interrupt, proper AoE taunt. Though paladins have other gimmicks aswell but then warriors have stuff like spell reflect. Basically, all tanks got different pros and cons.

It just bad RNG luck. How many times have you DPS'd a fight and done a really nice number like 15k on a boss. Then the very next week you do 10-11k. Several thousand dps difference. Did you screw up? No. Did the group composition change? No. It's just RNG screwing with you. Next time you tank that fight you may take less damage then the other tank because they are having the poor parry/block/dodge RNG night.

What's odd about that? All of my PVE fights that I do end up with our warrior tanks on top of the tank DPS chart. They hold aggro with DPS instead of with just spells, especially AOE fights. They get their ass kicked. So be it.

as some have already said, mastery is our greatest mitigation stat with parry at a strong second, and while parry does work will with hold the line, that doesnt always mean parry will be better than dodge esp after hitting the point where DR kicks in.

so i would say that the mitigation priority goes something like this:
    Mastery > Parry (till DR) > Dodge >= more Parry > armor

also, rather than just looking at damage taken, did you look at the damage absorbed? could be that the pally is absorbing some of the incoming damage via his overheal turning into a shield
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    But as u can see all my items already have mastery so i cant auctully reforge anything to increase it so i focus a bit more on other stats.

Too many variables on omnitron to make any conclusion unless you parse the logs hit by hit.

Did 1 of you get focussed by the red beam of death more often? hit with arcane barrage thingy more often? get damaged by melee not moving from arcane instability? etc etc etc there are just a massive amount of reasons to take unavoidable damage on that encounter which will never be split evenly between tanks.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

15+ Year Old Account
    I keep telling that too the priest but he is convinced i take more dmg then other tanks every try.