Thread: Triket Question

Triket Question

Hey guys,

Curious as to what people's thoughts were as to what trinket is better for me to use.
    Here is my Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rchid/advanced

I just picked up Sorrowsong, and I was using Witching Hourglass. Ultimately I would like to have Gale of Shadows... but it just won't drop for me, and I've farmed it like everyday, anyways, moving on.

Witching Hourglass gives int which is our strongest stat, however Sorrowsong gives a big buff <35% when affliction truly starts to do more damage. So which do you think is better for Affliction?

10+ Year Old Account
    Witching Hourglass looks like it ends up being about 300 Haste average when you account for the ICD, whereas Sorrowsong, assuming the boss dies at a constant rate, means about 600 average SP (1710*0.35). Realistically this will be much lower, since most dps specs can do increased damage during execute phase, including you if you take the trinket. I'm taking a stab at this, but you're probably going to have the buff for more like 20% of the fight, leaving you with ~34o SP.

We need something like 3.6 Int for 1 point of crit rating, and temporary bonuses to int don't really mean much to our mana since its a bonus to max mana not current. Taking the int->crit conversion into acount, that means you'relooking at 285 SP and ~78 Crit static on the hourglass.

In the end, the hourglass means 285 SP and 78 crit static, with 300 Haste average. Sorrowsong means 285 Mastery and probably around 340 SP average, but up to 600.

In the end I'd personally take the hourglass. It will probably mean less SP average, however to me, having a proc that will occur throughout the fight would be more useful. The one condition is that the boss doesn't have some nasty stuff he does during execute phase, like Cho'gall.

EDIT: This is of course my own conjecture based on the stats, and not from sims. I personally haven't seen any simcraft on trinkets for any spec yet, but if its out there, go with that :P
    Last edited by gualdhar; 2010-12-31 at 01:02 AM.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    u got enough haste to reforge that trinket and some other stuff to crit. BUT imo the hourglass is still better than sorrowsong.

Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    Witching Hourglass looks like it ends up being about 300 Haste average when you account for the ICD, whereas Sorrowsong, assuming the boss dies at a constant rate, means about 600 average SP (1710*0.35). Realistically this will be much lower, since most dps specs can do increased damage during execute phase, including you if you take the trinket. I'm taking a stab at this, but you're probably going to have the buff for more like 20% of the fight, leaving you with ~340 SP.
    Just to clear up some confusion with Sorrowsong.

The average gains of the proc is actually half of your numbers. At a first glance of the proc it looks like it has a 100% uptime when attacking a mob below 35%, but at a closer look you'll see that it's only 50% uptime.
    Your spells that damage a target below 35% health grant 1710 spell power for 10 sec. Cannot activate again for 10 sec after bonus expires.

10+ Year Old Account
    ah you're right, I did miss that. I was wondering why it looked so high. So that makes it even less desirable. Definitely should go with witching hourglass then, but I still think you should keep sorrowsong around for bosses like Cho'gall.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Thanks for the advice, went back with Hourglass for now, until I can get my hands on Sorrowsong

Quote Originally Posted by Razaac View Post
    u got enough haste to reforge that trinket and some other stuff to crit. BUT imo the hourglass is still better than sorrowsong.
    Why would you reforge anything to crit?

Oh trinkets. I have only ever seen 1 caster trinket drop and of course I lost the roll. I literally have 2 green trinkets still. I run chain heroics everyday and only melee trinkets drop. Othen than the 1 trinket I did see drop thats it. I kill the gale of shadow boss everyday since I could run heroics and no trinket. I hate dailies so stump of time is like far away. /rant.

10+ Year Old Account
    When in doubt, Sim it out! Honestly, that'll give you the most accurate answer.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."