Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should Soul Link just be passive?

It seems unnecessary to require a cast every time we get a new pet or get rezzed at a GY. There's no other option and there's no time limit on the buff. Why not just keep it up? Have a pet, have soul link. And while we're at it, on a mount while you have a pet, have soul link. They do it in arenas, why not everywhere?

It's an issue because of bugs in rated battlegrounds where you get off your mount and have to recast the buff. While they're in there fixing that one, I would also like to no longer get imps when I get summoned as well ><

because, sometimes you may not want to have soul link up, as it hurts your pet and can kill it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    because, sometimes you may not want to have soul link up
    name one

1 2 3 (minumum post lenght is 10 letters)

10+ Year Old Account
    When you realise your healer is bad and not healing your pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You never ever need a healer to heal your pet you baddie D:

fel synergy, health funnel, soul burn instant summon, or demonic rebirth any of those is infinitely better than having a healer waste mana on your pet.

Health funnel is 6% hp per sec b4 haste. L2P a lock =\

15+ Year Old Account
    the healer is bad because you are min maxing to much to spend 1 point in fel synergy?

Right, so, no reason to ever not have it up, no duration, no other option, buggy in RBG's, make it passive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what? I'm Demo, I have 2 points in Fel Synergy. That wont keep my pet alive if he keeps running into fire walls on Rahj during the AoE phase. Nor will it on Altairus when he's being bombarded by vortices and the tank turns the flame breath on me. I'm pretty sure in both those circumstances the healer would love me to use Health Funnel. O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what? I'm Demo, I have 2 points in Fel Synergy. That wont keep my pet alive if he keeps running into fire walls on Rahj during the AoE phase. Nor will it on Altairus when he's being bombarded by vortices and the tank turns the flame breath on me. I'm pretty sure in both those circumstances the healer would love me to use Health Funnel. O.o
    On Rahj your pet will probably die but you can just resummon him and continue killing the boss. altairus your pet probably wont die but like everyone else it will spend 90% of the time getting thrown around by tornados. Still theres no reason for healers to spend mana healing your pet on either of those fights its far more efficient for you to deal with it yourself

10+ Year Old Account
    In most cases your pet will actually receive a hell of a lot of passive healing from AoE/Chain Heals and you wont need to worry at all. However, if you have a Paladin healing who can't or wont deal with your pet; it would actually be pretty desirable to switch SL off since they wont have any problem keeping you up, but the lesser damage your pet takes will make Fel Synergy that much more effective at keeping it up.

most healers that I've talked to don't even have pets on their frames

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    because, sometimes you may not want to have soul link up, as it hurts your pet and can kill it
    I think a dead Warlok is a much greater DPS-loss then a dead pet...

However, i noticed Soul Link can be very annoying when you're out questing with a Succubus and have a DoT on you after the fight - she will spam invisibility and it breaks every tick... really annoying...
    Last edited by DerSenf; 2011-01-02 at 08:26 PM.

Deleted
    Seems this is going to turn into a healer healing/not healing pet discussion (again) and since its in the warlock board I feel a healer perspective is needed so I will completely copy and paste this from someone who said it perfectly:

Healing Priority:
    Stabilising Tank
    Stabilising Healer (myself)
    Stabilising Good DPS
    Stabilising Incompetant DPS
    Topping off Tank (May come before the above one in some situations)
    Topping off Healer (myself)
    Topping off good DPS
    Topping off Incompetant DPS
    Stabilising Pets
    Regaining Mana to do the above 9 things
    Topping off pets
    Last edited by mmoc9eeaaea509; 2011-01-02 at 08:29 PM.

Since my thread was hijacked i'll reply from my priest's perspective:

I don't have pets on my frames. I don't heal pets unless I'm swimming in mana. I'm never swimming in mana. Do your own pet maintenance. Or don't, and just make a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Since my thread was hijacked i'll reply from my priest's perspective:

I don't have pets on my frames. I don't heal pets unless I'm swimming in mana. I'm never swimming in mana. Do your own pet maintenance. Or don't, and just make a new one.
    This rather proves my point. It should be optional, rather than it be assumed we're all too lazy or stupid to really think about what's actually best for us given the circumstances. In this case, I would very much like to click it off and save myself the time, effort and Soul Shard of ressing my pet when it could be saved by taking the same damage as everyone else rather than doing you the favour of mitigating 25% of it.

Ive never healed a pet on my healer past wotlk dungeons, the lower ones I did
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

This rather proves my point. It should be optional, rather than it be assumed we're all too lazy or stupid to really think about what's actually best for us given the circumstances. In this case, I would very much like to click it off and save myself the time, effort and Soul Shard of ressing my pet when it could be saved by taking the same damage as everyone else rather than doing you the favour of mitigating 25% of it.
    Not really... If you're clicking off your soul link then all you're doing is wasting your healer's mana. Your pet is temporary. It's nothing. It's your bitch. It would be more beneficial to you to have you pet on passive and ONLY taking the 25% damage.

So, actually you proved MY point. You'd be a better player if you couldn't click it off.

Soul link is FINE as it is, if you cant manage it then i do honnestly think its a L2Play issue and are we comming from a pvp or pve PoV - either way soul link is AMAZING the way it is

Deleted
    You can summon any pet instantly, especially so if you are Demo. Either heal your own pet or let it die and resummon.

Quote Originally Posted by nyoh View Post
    Soul link is FINE as it is, if you cant manage it then i do honnestly think its a L2Play issue and are we comming from a pvp or pve PoV - either way soul link is AMAZING the way it is
    It would still be the way it is. Not sure how "L2Play" could POSSIBLY come into play here. L2Post.

It's a combination of convenience and bug fix. In RBG's, sometimes if you dismount, you lose your soul link. When you're riding on your mount, you lose your soul link. When I'm rezzed at a BG GY, I have to waste a keyed button on soul link so I can make sure it's always up.

Trying to free up a key that's just not necessary. There are no restrictions on where/when you can use the ability as long as you have a pet out. There's no cast time. It's not part of any rotation. There's no need to watch the duration because there isn't one. There's no (legitimate) reason to turn it off. It's literally just one extra button every time you make a new pet. In short, there's no reason it couldn't just be passive.
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2011-01-02 at 11:32 PM.