Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Not really... If you're clicking off your soul link then all you're doing is wasting your healer's mana. Your pet is temporary. It's nothing. It's your bitch. It would be more beneficial to you to have you pet on passive and ONLY taking the 25% damage.

So, actually you proved MY point. You'd be a better player if you couldn't click it off.
    My pet is about 30% of my damage output, and provides me with vital utility, be it Stuns, Interupts, CC or Demonic Pact. If you genuinely think Warlock pets are "nothing" it's pretty clear you need to learn to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    My pet is about 30% of my damage output, and provides me with vital utility, be it Stuns, Interupts, CC or Demonic Pact. If you genuinely think Warlock pets are "nothing" it's pretty clear you need to learn to play.
    They are nothing worth your healer protecting because you can just resummon them. When a warlock pet dies, IT MEANS NOTHING. It's pretty clear you need to learn to read.

Edit: to clarify this point further.. You are not a hunter. Your Felguard was not some cute little furry animal you spent half your life watching it grow and teaching it new tricks. It's a demon that you forcefully pulled out of hell to do your bidding. It's your bitch. If it could take 100% of your damage, that would be great. And when you're done, you pull him back from hell to do it again and again and again.

You turning off soul link to save your pet and make your healer waste more mana healing YOU means that YOU need to learn to play. It's really that simple. There is absolutely no reason to ever turn off soul link. It should be up 100% of the time that you have a pet. If you're really having that much trouble keeping your pet alive that you need to turn off Soul Link, then you would absolutely be better off forgoing that 30% in favor of damage protection, which directly relates to healer mana, which directly affects your chances of success.

And before you come back with another willfully ignorant reply, that scenario should never happen because you would either have to be doing something terribly wrong to be getting hit enough to kill your pet, or, in the case of excessive AoE damage, you can either heal your pet with health funnel (and based on the skills you listed, you are demo and could easily pick up improved health funnel) or use your demonic rebirth or a soulstone to make a new one. Don't have a soulstone handy and demonic rebirth is on cooldown? Take the 4 and a half seconds to make a new one.

If I'm healing a group and I find out the 'lock is turning off their soul link to make me heal them more, that warlock immediately becomes the absolute lowest priority to heal. Healer's mana is everyone's problem.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 12:35 AM ----------

And stop hijacking my thread with bullshit.
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2011-01-03 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    Jirayiah is right in everything he says, and so I also think that soul link should be up all the time. I put it right next to the Fel Armor and learnt to click them both one after another. And yes, it would be very convenient if it activated alongside the pet summon. I wouldn't mind it being removable - there might be some situations where you wouldn't want it (don't know which, never happened to me, but let's say it's a player's choice). But it would simply make our lives easier if it was on by default. Just that.

On a side not, c'mon, don't be so vicious. Imps are rather friendly and puppies are puppies, right? They need some roleplaying love :P

If I am taking unavoidable damage that the pet would not be, either through the target or being aoe mitigated through avoidance then that would be a good time to take off soul link, if I feel the damage won't be killing me otherwise.
    It should be a choice if damage is transferred to your pet or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does your pet do all this stuff when you're dead?

doing you the favour of mitigating 25% of it.
    You aint doing any favors for anyone you ignorant prick. DPS is not hard at all healing is alot more difficult (I play a priest just been too lazy to change my sig) if it's my job to keep the group alive and you are taking unnecessary damage you are making my life difficult and screwing the entire group. I.E. you're bad. there is no other way to look at it. I don't care if you stop dps for a bit to heal your demon if it means you do more damage overall I have more important things to do then your job of dpsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If I am taking unavoidable damage that the pet would not be, either through the target or being aoe mitigated through avoidance then that would be a good time to take off soul link, if I feel the damage won't be killing me otherwise.
    It should be a choice if damage is transferred to your pet or not.
    Not really though. By letting your pet take 20-25% of the damage, you're taking 20-25% less damage, period. Less for your healer to heal. If your pet's not take any damage and you are, it'll be able to take all the damage you take and then some. If it's enough to kill it, then you just saved your healer enough mana to cover about 120k damage.

It's never advantageous to remove soul link. Never. Maybe if you dedicated the rest of your life to finding some minuscule benefit, it would be so rare that it would not outweigh the convenience of making it passive.

Wait what? I'm Demo, I have 2 points in Fel Synergy. That wont keep my pet alive if he keeps running into fire walls on Rahj during the AoE phase. Nor will it on Altairus when he's being bombarded by vortices and the tank turns the flame breath on me. I'm pretty sure in both those circumstances the healer would love me to use Health Funnel. O.o
    Well, it should. All pets have a passive that reduces AoE damage by 90%. Fel Synergy should keep your pet alive.

Deleted
    It's always funny when warlocks summon a new pet and forget to put up soul link so I vote for keeping it as it is. :>

haha, I get ya on that, but the problem is that's only going to help against bad players, who you'll likely kill anyway, or extremely rarely against good ones. I am in a habit of double clicking a macro with soul link and fel armor every time I make a pet or get rezzed. The reason I would love for this to be passive is it would make it easier to make a single button that will let me chose between Fel and Demon armor without having to waste another button. I suppose it would still be possible with an addon, but really I just don't see any legitimate reason it couldn't just be passive and not have to bother with it at all. It would also allow me to make a healthstone and buff up in BG's while it's still mana free.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    On Rahj your pet will probably die but you can just resummon him and continue killing the boss. altairus your pet probably wont die but like everyone else it will spend 90% of the time getting thrown around by tornados. Still theres no reason for healers to spend mana healing your pet on either of those fights its far more efficient for you to deal with it yourself
    avoidance = 90% damage reduction from aoe abilites?

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    name one

1 2 3 (minumum post lenght is 10 letters)
    Defending Lumbermill. If you have Soul Link up, it's very obvious you've got a Succubus. If you don't, you just look like some dumbass without a pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharismal Abyss View Post
    Well, it should. All pets have a passive that reduces AoE damage by 90%. Fel Synergy should keep your pet alive.
    Avoidance doesn't work on DoT mechanics, which is probably what the firewalls are.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-01-03 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgi View Post
    avoidance = 90% damage reduction from aoe abilites?
    Rahj's Firestorm = no aoe ability?
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    They are nothing worth your healer protecting because you can just resummon them. When a warlock pet dies, IT MEANS NOTHING. It's pretty clear you need to learn to read.

Edit: to clarify this point further.. You are not a hunter. Your Felguard was not some cute little furry animal you spent half your life watching it grow and teaching it new tricks. It's a demon that you forcefully pulled out of hell to do your bidding. It's your bitch. If it could take 100% of your damage, that would be great. And when you're done, you pull him back from hell to do it again and again and again.

You turning off soul link to save your pet and make your healer waste more mana healing YOU means that YOU need to learn to play. It's really that simple. There is absolutely no reason to ever turn off soul link. It should be up 100% of the time that you have a pet. If you're really having that much trouble keeping your pet alive that you need to turn off Soul Link, then you would absolutely be better off forgoing that 30% in favor of damage protection, which directly relates to healer mana, which directly affects your chances of success.

And before you come back with another willfully ignorant reply, that scenario should never happen because you would either have to be doing something terribly wrong to be getting hit enough to kill your pet, or, in the case of excessive AoE damage, you can either heal your pet with health funnel (and based on the skills you listed, you are demo and could easily pick up improved health funnel) or use your demonic rebirth or a soulstone to make a new one. Don't have a soulstone handy and demonic rebirth is on cooldown? Take the 4 and a half seconds to make a new one.

If I'm healing a group and I find out the 'lock is turning off their soul link to make me heal them more, that warlock immediately becomes the absolute lowest priority to heal. Healer's mana is everyone's problem.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 12:35 AM ----------

And stop hijacking my thread with bullshit.
    Why so angry?

Right, here's the thing. In Lore, sure I shouldn't give a flying fuck about my pet. However, Lore is not game mechanics. In game mechanics, it is actually a pretty big deal if my pet dies - I loose a ton of damage, utility, break my rotation, probably end up stood in fire while I stop to sort this shit out, it is horrendously inconvenient. I don't want to waste time - instant resummon isn't actually instant it takes a couple of globals to switch action bars, press the summon, recast SL and resume your rotation with likely a hard cast of Soul Fire - and a lot of mana resummoning: that means I will Life Tap and you will heal it, and if my pet just died to something, it is not going to be a convenient time for you to be healing that pointless additional damage. Also, in Lore I don't give a shit about leeching your precious mana, so you really can't talk about 'Lore' reasons not to give a shit about my pets, then talk about game mechanics reasons why I should give a shit about your mana. In reality, I do care about your mana - I will dodge fire, I will use Drain Life during AoE phases, when I Life Tap I will very likely use DL to help top it off, but most importantly I will try to do as much fucking DPS as I possibly can so the fight isn't drawn out longer than your mana pool can take. Ultimately, and quite simply, if my pet is dying, you're tying my hands and preventing me doing my job, and if leaving off Soul Link fixes that, then so be it. It's very rare that'll be the case, because Fel Synergy and passive AoE healing are typically more than enough to keep it topped off - but it can happen, like I say typically with Paladins who for whatever reason just want to spam Holy Light like it's still Wrath.

WRT Avoidance. It only applies to AoE effects, and what actually counts as an AoE effect can be pretty dubious - Rahj's radiance does, as such with SL up my pet will receive 35% of that damage, not normally enough to kill it outright, but Fel Synergy wont outheal it, and it takes a while for that talent to top it's health back off. The ground effects however don't seem to count as AoE, and if Radiance has left your pet on low health from SL and then they take a couple of ticks from it, they will die pretty fast.

Deleted
    I would expect most healers are happy that a good portion of damage that would hit the warlock is being transferred to someone who won't be offended when they don't get heals. If it dies, POOF new one (If you're demo with demonic rebirth thingy) or Soulburn POOF new one.

Deleted
    Why so angry?

Right, here's the thing. In Lore, sure I shouldn't give a flying fuck about my pet. However, Lore is not game mechanics. In game mechanics, it is actually a pretty big deal if my pet dies - I loose a ton of damage, utility, break my rotation, probably end up stood in fire while I stop to sort this shit out, it is horrendously inconvenient. I don't want to waste time - instant resummon isn't actually instant it takes a couple of globals to switch action bars, press the summon, recast SL and resume your rotation with likely a hard cast of Soul Fire - and a lot of mana resummoning: that means I will Life Tap and you will heal it, and if my pet just died to something, it is not going to be a convenient time for you to be healing that pointless additional damage. Also, in Lore I don't give a shit about leeching your precious mana, so you really can't talk about 'Lore' reasons not to give a shit about my pets, then talk about game mechanics reasons why I should give a shit about your mana. In reality, I do care about your mana - I will dodge fire, I will use Drain Life during AoE phases, when I Life Tap I will very likely use DL to help top it off, but most importantly I will try to do as much fucking DPS as I possibly can so the fight isn't drawn out longer than your mana pool can take. Ultimately, and quite simply, if my pet is dying, you're tying my hands and preventing me doing my job, and if leaving off Soul Link fixes that, then so be it. It's very rare that'll be the case, because Fel Synergy and passive AoE healing are typically more than enough to keep it topped off - but it can happen, like I say typically with Paladins who for whatever reason just want to spam Holy Light like it's still Wrath.

WRT Avoidance. It only applies to AoE effects, and what actually counts as an AoE effect can be pretty dubious - Rahj's radiance does, as such with SL up my pet will receive 35% of that damage, not normally enough to kill it outright, but Fel Synergy wont outheal it, and it takes a while for that talent to top it's health back off. The ground effects however don't seem to count as AoE, and if Radiance has left your pet on low health from SL and then they take a couple of ticks from it, they will die pretty fast.
    nice wall of text and you´re still wrong, healing your pet is your responsibility and not the healers, go to the other thread where we have 20+pages saying that you are simply wrong and stupid if you think you´re right and now stop derailing this thread even more, k?

ot: soullink should be passive since there is not a single scenario you wouldn´t want that buff, 25%less dmg taken is just amazing

Healer's shouldn't heal your pet. there are plenty of ways to keep one's pet alive and you shouldn't expect the healers to do it for you. If i had to chose between a few GCD's and my healer stoping to heal the raid to heal my pet using up a cast and a GCD then the choice is obvious I chose my 2 or 3 measly GCD's. If your pet's standing in fire move it it's a utility it's there to help you do your job, Learn to use a utility like everyone else has too.

The only reason I can see "and i've been up for more than 24 hours" for you to not want Soul link up is if your soloing and you don't want you pet to take extra damage if it's already taking enough. other than tha 25% damage reduction in raids + PvP who wouldn't want that?

When you de mount your pet loses it's health and soul link sometimes doesn't work as it's intended it's a bug end of.
    Last edited by Darktheist; 2011-01-03 at 12:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying the healer should be actively targetting and healing my pet. What I am saying is that if there isn't enough passive healing and that includes from Fel Synergy going round to help to that end, it can actually be desirable to switch SL off and use DL more.

Deleted
    Using soul link is a matter of preference. I for one don't use it since imo if your pet dies you waste just as much mana due to extra life taps and less dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoh View Post
    Soul link is FINE as it is, if you cant manage it then i do honnestly think its a L2Play issue and are we comming from a pvp or pve PoV - either way soul link is AMAZING the way it is
    Did he just win the award for most useless post from a person clearly not getting the point of this topic?

The point of the discussion is that soullink is a spell that can not be disspelled and is ALWAYS up. So there is really no reason to not make it passive spell.