Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

DBM-Hacker Rumor

Word has spread around my guild that the man who coded Deadly Boss Mods is a French hacker. They suggest using Big Wigs, which I never really cared for when I used it in TBC for TK/SSC progression as it was quite inaccurate with timers, which is more or less the reason I use it. Any validity to the hacker rumor? I find it hard to believe that it's so widely used were it true...

Well, there goes DBM and hello to BigWigs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Source of rumors?

Oh, and here. Sounds like you need one of these http://www.ehow.com/how_2049858_make-tinfoil-hat.html

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN , Someone get this guy a hat!

So because you have hacked it means that the mod you made suddenly is going to be a keylogger? If you just get it from an reliabe source you shouldn't be concerned about the programmer, he might be a hacker. But does that mean the mod is gonna tale all your info? I wouldn't be worried atm.

If i heard someone actually got hacked it would kinda be another deal
    Last edited by Lixion; 2011-01-05 at 02:14 AM.

so he's a hacker... and so he create add on... where is the correlation about stop to use DBM?

Hai der Mistah Troll!

Hacker? Hacks what? By definition both him AND the guy making bigwigs are both hackers. If you mean he hacks accounts using the addon, that just isn't possible, unless you are downloading more then just the addon.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Guess it takes a dude with programingskills to make that good an addon. If he's a hacker on the side is fine with me. What's the chance he'll scam us all huh?

...still use my authenticator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandango View Post
    HOLY SMOKES BATMAN , Someone get this guy a hat!
    scuse me? :P i must missed out on somthing here

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if this rumor is true what does it matter? As long as he isn't stealing WoW information (which OP makes no specific mention of) and DBM continues to be awesome why should we give a hoot what the author does in his free time? Maybe add-on coding is what keeps him from moving on to harder, more vicious hacking? Don't take away his stress relief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

I'm sure over the years DBM has been available, no-one has ever looked at the code. Ever.

At any rate, what is it supposed to be 'hacking'? Do they mean keylog? Trojans? They know people scan this stuff, right? Sounds to me, someone in your guild just refers BW over DBM and would rather bullshit guildies in to using it, rather than explain any pros/cons.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until i get SS of this happening i aint losing it, also i am getting another then big wigs

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

15+ Year Old Account
    Deadly Boss Mods is not coded by a single entity, but rather a team.

Even if the original creator was a "French hacker", who has any idea what he hacked or why or how it is remotely relevant to the operation of the addon?

Once DXE is updated for Cataclysm, DBM will go back to being subpar anyway, like it was in Wrath.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Are we moving to BigWigs because he got arrested and can no longer support DBM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

NO!! bigwigs was made by corporate fat cats and use the data the collect as a marketing tool. The proof is in the name Bigwigs, the head honcho, the big cheese, the god father, the born............identity, jaws lord of the rings....what was this topic about again?

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    scuse me? :P i must missed out on somthing here
    a hatter is a hacker or hacking term .. the colour they are determines what their intentions are eg :-

White hat
    A white hat hacker breaks security for non-malicious reasons, for instance testing their own security system. This classification also includes individuals who perform penetration tests and vulnerability assessments within a contractual agreement. Often, this type of 'white hat' hacker is called an ethical hacker. The International Council of Electronic Commerce Consultants, also known as the EC-Council has developed certifications, courseware, classes, and online training covering the diverse arena of Ethical Hacking.

Black hat
    A black hat hacker, sometimes called a cracker, is someone who breaks computer security without authorization or uses technology (usually a computer, phone system or network) for malicious reasons such as vandalism, credit card fraud, identity theft, piracy, or other types of illegal activity.

Grey hat
    A grey hat hacker is a combination of a Black Hat and a White Hat Hacker. A Grey Hat Hacker may surf the internet and hack into a computer system for the sole purpose of notifying the administrator that their system has been hacked, for example. Then they may offer to repair their system for a small fee

Unless he was being sarcastic and was refering to a tin foil hat for believing in something dumb (not sayin it is but dmb stealzing my acc details. lol)
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2011-01-05 at 02:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think dotSeed is right, when I asked them how he hacked, or whether DBM is malicous (doubtful, even so it would need to intercept authenticator codes, not an easy feat,) they simply replied, "It steals your stuff, don't use it." Which baffles me, as one of the guildies claiming this is a financial advisor for the Coast Guard, and I would assume he has a basic understanding of internet and computer software integrity.

By no means am I trying to spread the rumor, simply curious if there's any truth to it, which seeing as nobody else has heard of such a thing I can only assume it was a bs' claim from my guild-mates who prefer BW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    I think dotSeed is right, when I asked them how he hacked, or whether DBM is malicous (doubtful, even so it would need to intercept authenticator codes, not an easy feat,) they simply replied, "It steals your stuff, don't use it." Which baffles me, as one of the guildies claiming this is a financial advisor for the Coast Guard, and I would assume he has a basic understanding of internet and computer software integrity.

By no means am I trying to spread the rumor, simply curious if there's any truth to it, which seeing as nobody else has heard of such a thing I can only assume it was a bs' claim from my guild-mates who prefer BW.
    Ah, well then your guild mate is screwing with you. It's impossible for an addon to hack your computer unless it uses executables or other such nonsense. DBM has none of that.

I thought you meant he was hacking networks in real life or doing illegal activities in his spare time like Curse, WoWInterface, or DeadlyBossMods.com.

No, the addon itself is perfectly fine. Just make sure to download it from a reputable site.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

do you even know what an hacker is before to open a thread like this accusing someone to do something he's tring to get out of the internet?

definition of hacker: person with above average computer skills who works on the code of any software to understand how it works and possibly improve it.
    they warned microsoft of 99% of the bugs and exploits in windows 98, used by the crackers to damage computers.

definition of cracker: person with above average computer skills who does anything he can to damage computers, access data or anything he wants. they use keyloggers, backdoors, bugs and exploits to gain access of someone's pc and transfer the data they want to their computer.

read it, understand it, stop going around "OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!!!!11" and tell me that you don't feel better knowing that an hacker wrote dbm and not a cracker.