Leveling characters - The only thing in WoW that doesn't become obsolete over time?

Now don't think I am forcing my ways onto you, it's not like that at all. I've in-fact never had alts in my entire history playing WoW (being from 2005-2009, took a break 2009/2011 and now im back) I've always had 1 main never any alts, any time ive got a new character its because Ive sold my old character and bought a new account and started from fresh level 1 again.

Now I am back in the game as a casual, (no plan to raid) , but I think I might get back into arena or maybe try the rated bgs once I have a 85 char finished.

But I've been thinking. Considering every season or every tier, the old stuff becomes obsolete, just like when a new expansion hits etc. As I said I have never been into alts but I think I just might start becoming an ALT person. It seems leveling a character to max level is one of the few things that doesn't become obsolete, even with a new expansion it's only a few levels to reach max again, where as for gear & rep it's a whole new grind.

Does that make sense at all? I've always thought it might be cool to have a bunch of characters but every time I use to try leveling one I'd see my own character which was incredibly geared with so much time put in which put me off from ever having alts. Now that the chances are my new main will NEVER get to that stage because I wont be raiding that worry is now gone...

Hopefully we can get some good discussions on this.

(I am not taking a hit at people who raid or do stuff hardcore...please don't think that guys, I am just stating this from a casual-player point of view. I use to raid 4 nights a week back in TBC for the entire expansion almost, so don't think I am a casual idiot thats never experienced hardcore raiding, my memories of having to re-key people for hyjal/BT every time we lost people was SO annoying, YAY WASTE A PROGRESSION NIGHT IN SSC AND TK JUST BECAUSE RESTO SHAMANS WERE SO HARD TO COME BY ON OUR SERVER, farming BT for a year before Sunwell - thats a good way to make WoW hurt your brain)
    Last edited by codsafish; 2011-01-06 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well leveling people is fun and lasts forever. i just try to have fun for the couple of months i play a year. i honestly dont know how people can play this all year round.

I know exactly what you mean.. I'm already leveling my Druid again because I'm bored of 85(Waiting to start raids ftl)... Cba to do PvP because you just get facerolled until you get gear, which.. you need to pvp to actually get..?.. and I'm already raid-ready PvE wise.

Levelling alts just doesn't get old, as you said.. You can get all reps maxed, all gear done, all raids cleared, Arena season over, all achievements etc.. Then what? New char and do it all again is the only thing you can do until new content comes out.

Alts, it's mah thing.

Im not entirely sure where you are going with this wall of text. If I kind of understood, I think the short version is should I level an alt or not. The answer is if you want too.

I would recommend it. I have one of each class, I've leveled every prof at least once. It fun to see the game through a different set of skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would PvP if everyone were allowed to wear the same gear. people with no lives i mean dedicated always own everyone.

The gear treadmill only exists at level cap so the lesson is... never level to the cap!

Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post
    i would PvP if everyone were allowed to wear the same gear. people with no lives i mean dedicated always own everyone.
    Uh, it has always been like that in mmorpgs. No lifers will always overgear/overpower you. Unless they're really bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I level alts when I'm not waiting for guildies to log on for something else to do. Currently at 2 85s, an 83, and a whole mess of alts in the 60-80 range. It gets somewhat old and I'd honestly rather sit on trade some days, but I do agree it's the one thing you can do forever.

Being an altoholic in Cata isn't really hard. It took me a couple days to level both my 85s, and if I actually put myself to it, it takes at most 4 or 5 days to go from 1-70. NR always takes me longer because it's such a bore. I know I need gear on my mage and DK, but some days I just say screw it and go level that 50 or something I haven't played in a while.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.