Survival best spec, along with best pet spec for ferocity.

Right now I use 3/7/31 http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kamahll/simple

I hear of hunters dropping the 3 in BM, and going into Careful Aim, and maxing out Serpent Spread.

Wondering your thoughts on this. I can see it being great on add fights, but once a boss is below 80% it seems useless, but then again; could say the same about Kill Shot glyph.

If anyone has input on this, then please post. I will also take spec advice for my PvP spec, the other one... Also look at pet specs. I'm torn between Wild Hunt or Shark Attack for DPS.

Currently I hold around 15-18k DPS in 5 mans, have done 20-22k in Baradin Hold 10 man. I have not raided other new content, we are waiting on more in guild to get geared.

Thanks for input, if you post

careful aim --> 60% krit is awesome.
    bosses have like what? 32m hp? a HUGE dmg boost at the beginning of a fight, pulling out 25k+ dps before it drops below 80%

i switch back and force btw one with nature and sic´em, but never drop careful aim

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenna View Post
    careful aim --> 60% krit is awesome.
    bosses have like what? 32m hp? a HUGE dmg boost at the beginning of a fight, pulling out 25k+ dps before it drops below 80%

i switch back and force btw one with nature and sic´em, but never drop careful aim
    Ah, might try it.

---------- Post added 2011-01-02 at 05:15 PM ----------

I'd have one point left over, keep in OWN, or put in Serpent Spread?
    Last edited by hakai; 2011-01-02 at 05:25 PM.

I agree on Careful Aim; you need that. If you're solely PvE I would also drop the points in Entrapment.

I put these point in Sic'Em (not One with Nature), but I can't really tell you why this would be better.

Not sure about Serpent Spread. I invested 2 points but it's a fair point that in most cases where you use Multi-shot the fight doesn't last that long so perhaps you don't need the additional 3 seconds.

careful aim rocks
    you only need 1 point in serpent spread 2 points is overkill for only an extra 3 seconds...
    Check out my spec in the armory

edit: oh and i use shark attack for the extra 6% damage to ALL attacks.
    Last edited by EvolutionXXX; 2011-01-02 at 09:33 PM. Reason: adding additional comment

Ive tested Shark Attack vs Wild Hunter with a ferocity pet it seems that the strate dmg inc from Shark Attack is btter than Wild Hunt since the only time that your ferocity pet will be over 50 focus is after is hasent been attack for a little or at the start of the fight.
    Am I right or wrong? Id like some other input.

Quote Originally Posted by XAmsterdamX View Post
    I agree on Careful Aim; you need that. If you're solely PvE I would also drop the points in Entrapment.

And put them where? There are no places for those 2 points that are a dps gain; they're forced "utility" points any way you spec 'em.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

I use the cookie cutter 1/9/31 build that seems to work pretty well as a 'general' pve spec. 1/2 Serpent spread, 2/2 Careful Aim and Sic Em. 0/2 Entrapment.

Even for pure pve, entrapment isn't a waste these days. Add control is a big deal in a lot of new raid content. In our 25s, we've got a mage swapping between arcane for 3% damage boost and frost for add control, depending on the fight. You could have a hunter swapping instead, easily enough. For Magmaw, we prefer to use two mages to have a ring of frost up for every parasite spawn. Entrapment can accomplish a lot of the same thing, though it's harder to target properly than a mage's spell. Still - it's not high on my list of priorities, and isn't in my base spec.

If I wanted Entrapment in a modified cookie cutter spec, I would probably go 0/8/33, taking the point from One with Nature and 1/2 from Sic Em to get 2/2 Entrapment. 1/9/31 with 0/2 Survival Instincts and 2/2 Entrapment is also viable, but I like the reduced disengage CD. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post
    And put them where? There are no places for those 2 points that are a dps gain; they're forced "utility" points any way you spec 'em.
    Black Arrow benefits from the resist reduction in Survival Tactics, as do the rest of your traps. This is a DPS gain, however minor.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Black Arrow benefits from the resist reduction in Survival Tactics, as do the rest of your traps. This is a DPS gain, however minor.

Black Arrow uses the melee/ranged hit cap, so if the rest of your shots are hit capped, so is Black Arrow. Bosses are immune to frost and ice traps, while the hit cap for both spells (traps) and your shots is the same (6%) against level-82's. So while I suppose Survival Tactics reduces the miss rate of your Explosive Trap against bosses by 4%, that's still not a DPS gain when current theory holds that Black Arrow is the superior "trap" for single-target dps.

Okay, I suppose if you drop an Explosive Trap under a boss with a bunch of adds at its feet.

Other than that single situation, Survival Tactics in PvE is merely a 4-second reduction in the Disengage cooldown. It doesn't affect Black Arrow if you're already hit capped (8%) and only improves boss DPS if you're popping an Explosive Trap under the boss' feet.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

Quote Originally Posted by hakai View Post
    Right now I use 3/7/31 http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kamahll/simple

I hear of hunters dropping the 3 in BM, and going into Careful Aim, and maxing out Serpent Spread.

Wondering your thoughts on this. I can see it being great on add fights, but once a boss is below 80% it seems useless, but then again; could say the same about Kill Shot glyph.

If anyone has input on this, then please post. I will also take spec advice for my PvP spec, the other one... Also look at pet specs. I'm torn between Wild Hunt or Shark Attack for DPS.

Currently I hold around 15-18k DPS in 5 mans, have done 20-22k in Baradin Hold 10 man. I have not raided other new content, we are waiting on more in guild to get geared.

Thanks for input, if you post
    No need to max out serpent spread, 1 point is more than enough you dont need the extra point for an extra 3 seconds.
    The careful aim talent is a waste for 80% of the fight think of it that way...
    I take efficiency only in the Marksmanship tree, the rest of the points are in BM.
    The only reason you would want to take go for the throat and sic em at all is if you take wild hunt and to be honest it is still wasted talents.
    Take imp kill command, one with nature, and frenzy 2/3. Then spec your pet into shark attack and you do more damage with your pet than you would with gftt and sic em. On high focus LnL procs go ex kill command ex cobra ex.
    I do have my other spec with careful aim but it really only does more dps then what i have said above if you have multiple targets above 80% health the whole fight and it only works with 1 of your shots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionXXX View Post
    No need to max out serpent spread, 1 point is more than enough you dont need the extra point for an extra 3 seconds.
    I take efficiency only in the Marksmanship tree, the rest of the points are in BM.
    The only reason you would want to take go for the throat and sic em at all is if you take wild hunt and to be honest it is still wasted talents.
    Take imp kill command, one with nature, and frenzy 2/3. Then spec your pet into shark attack and you do more damage with your pet than you would with gftt and sic em. On high focus LnL procs go ex kill command ex cobra ex.
    I do have my other spec with careful aim but it really only does more dps then what i have said above if you have multiple targets above 80% health the whole fight and it only works with 1 of your shots.
    Eh i don't think its worth specing Imp. Kill command for a time when you have high focus during a LnL. And i would stay in wild hunt because of Sic em. Explosive shot Almost always Crit so...that's my reason. And btw frenzy is a waste in my eyes

Ive downed the first few bosses in BWD, BoT, 4Winds, and BH so far. I must say that Entrapment is very handy in PvE raiding. Pretty much EVERY fight that has adds is made trivial with 8 seconds of snares + the slowing effects of the frost+snake traps placed perfectly(which isnt too hard after you learn the fights). Also, if you place them before hand(which is also easy to do after you learn the fights) you can do a quad trap as your CDs will be back up for 16 seconds of snares which is more than enough time to burn down the adds solo in all of the raid encounters that I have been in so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spec 1/9/31 and own the meters.

This logic tells me that the same waste for 80% of the fight is Kill Shot...

Take imp kill command
    you are advising to take Imp Kill Command. You want him to skip 60% higher crit chance (on first 20% of fight) for most commonly used shot and instead take 10% increased crit chance on ability that he may or may not use once per boss fight - an ability that by far doesnt hit that hard as Cobra Shot and is not affected by Mastery? That is not a good advice.

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 05:49 PM ----------

Why poeple say Entrapment has no use in PvE? I have only been at 5 raid encounters so far but Entrapment (4 + 4 secs of immobile adds) is golden for:
    1) Toxitron´s poison bombs
    2) Magmaw´s parasites
    3) Maloriak´s adds when there are 9 of them and tank kites