Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[MoP] why isn't anyone QQing about flame orb?

title says all. or at least it says most of all.

why isn't anyone angry at the removal of flame orb? they took your orb and gave it to frost!

don't you think that orb is cool? don't you think the blood mages in icecrown citadel were awesome with this spell? do you really not care if it's gone?

I don't know why they removed it. if it was broken, couldn't they fix it? if they didn't want fire and frost feel the same, couldn't they give frost a "frozen cube" instead of an orb or something? I mean, fire got an orb first. they should have the right to keep their orb!

I have a fire mage and I think this is the coolest spell she has.

my main is a demo lock and his coolest spell is metamorphosis (IMHO). if blizz were to remove my demon form and give destruction a "chaos form", I'd get a tad angry.

why aren't you guys angry?

get angry!
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire orb is pretty cool but I personally won't be losing sleep over it moving to frost.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Did Fire get an Orb first?
    I'm pretty sure Frostfire Orb as a talent was introduced in exactly the same patch as Fire Orb.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Did Fire get an Orb first?
    I'm pretty sure Frostfire Orb as a talent was introduced in exactly the same patch as Fire Orb.
    frostfire orb, yes. frozen orb, no.

frostfire orb was a talent to turn flame orb into a half fire half frost orb. it wasn't a pure frost orb, but merelly a "frostified" flame orb so as frost could benefit better from it. plus, you had to talent for it while flame orb was baseline. you just can't compare them.

I wouldn't mind it if both specs had an orb, but taking fire's toy from them just to dye it blue and give it to frost is just mean, no matter how you look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, they removed the Orbs? I was certain that each spec had its own orb, at least in early beta.. Fire had Flame Orb, which shot fire and exploded, Arcane had an Arcane orb, which pulsated out damage, and frost had a frost orb, which snared and did low damage.

We need orbs for all specs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Wait, they removed the Orbs? I was certain that each spec had its own orb, at least in early beta.. Fire had Flame Orb, which shot fire and exploded, Arcane had an Arcane orb, which pulsated out damage, and frost had a frost orb, which snared and did low damage.

We need orbs for all specs!
    yeah, they kissed flame and arcane orbs goodbye and stick to frozen orb

Beta mages only asked about reducing fire random numbers, and that is what we get. Probably Flame Orb was considered too random, and considering how unimportant it was, Blizzard took the easy way.

I suppose that a big amount of mages chose the spec because its numbers, not because it's the gameplay they like. So fire has been forgotten, because beta mages has been focused on frost, the flavored spec. In fact, fire gameplay has been reducing to mindless, and now seems a frost recolored option for "respecing mages". If after a patch fire numbers become high, frost mages will be red. If not intentionally, that is the design that beta mages asked for.

So if you like to be a fire mage, play a destruction warlock.

It was a spell that you cast once every minute so gameplay wise we aren't missing out on much. Also, mechanically it never worked how we wanted it to (ie AoE rather than just single target). What we've lost above all else is mage flavour, which is a shame for Fire because that spec is almost devoid of visual flair without the Frostfire glyph.

Deleted
    A bit annoying that Flame Orb is being removed. With that said...

I mean, fire got an orb first. they should have the right to keep their orb!
    Technically, "Mages" (Sorceress) got Frozen Orb first as a Diablo II end-tree talent. Maybe Blizz wanted to make a subtle call to that or, as the previous posters have said, the ability was more trouble than it was worth.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    frostfire orb, yes. frozen orb, no.

frostfire orb was a talent to turn flame orb into a half fire half frost orb. it wasn't a pure frost orb, but merelly a "frostified" flame orb so as frost could benefit better from it. plus, you had to talent for it while flame orb was baseline. you just can't compare them.

I wouldn't mind it if both specs had an orb, but taking fire's toy from them just to dye it blue and give it to frost is just mean, no matter how you look at it.
    So something that does minimal damage and is used on cooldown with no regards to any other talents or spells versus something that does minimal damage but has a 15% chance to proc fingers of frost and 15% chance to proc brain freeze each tick...

Which one was more useful and integrated into the spec again? Oh right, the one they kept. Then morphed entirely into something new, with has ties to what it did originally for the spec. No one's really worked up about it because it didn't do anything for fire/arcane that's really worth mentioning. There were some tears when the change originally happened, but people seem okay with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Runasutaru View Post
    Technically, "Mages" (Sorceress) got Frozen Orb first as a Diablo II end-tree talent. Maybe Blizz wanted to make a subtle call to that or, as the previous posters have said, the ability was more trouble than it was worth.
    This, IMO.

And let it be said the Sorceress' Frozen Orb looked a hella lot cooler than the wow version, also IMO.

Flame Orb was cool, but so was the Zulian Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    So something that does minimal damage and is used on cooldown with no regards to any other talents or spells versus something that does minimal damage but has a 15% chance to proc fingers of frost and 15% chance to proc brain freeze each tick...

Which one was more useful and integrated into the spec again? Oh right, the one they kept. Then morphed entirely into something new, with has ties to what it did originally for the spec. No one's really worked up about it because it didn't do anything for fire/arcane that's really worth mentioning. There were some tears when the change originally happened, but people seem okay with it now.
    they could always make it more useful instead of cutting it.

frankly I don't give a flying damn about performance in a game. I just want things to look cool because that's what amuses me and I play games to be amused. they took a very cool spell from my fire mage and I didn't like it (even though I barelly use her for fighting anything). I'm just surprised by the fact that it seems nobody else cares.

mage players are funny. when warlocks were getting lots of new toys they were there in the wl forums QQing about how mages weren't getting anything cool, but when blizz takes something cool they already had from them they do nothing at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    im sad its going , was my buddy , and it looked cool when lotsa mages used it at once

i personally hated flame orb, it was boring, kinda weak, and if it hit a pebble on the way to your target it destroyed itself. the only time i really used it was when i had to move, other than that despite what sims said... for me it was a dps loss.

this is the part where people are supposed to tell me im bad and didnt push a button hard enough to make it do proper dps right?

personally i hate not having it as arcane, but seeing how bad the synergy bethween level 90 talents and arcane are in raiding.. i wont be arcane anyways come MoP

15+ Year Old Account
    I only miss the ICC version of the spell, all other forms suck.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Arcane has no burst capability anymore anyway.

Deleted
    I guess the other specs were too involved and didn't need the hassle of an extra button.

Deleted
    its gone ? didnt notice....o wait i didnt use it

10+ Year Old Account
    it was a spell that had no particular synergy with Flames MO which is all about interesting DoT and proc mechanics. it was just a button to push. Same for Arcane. it's no great loss.