Thread: Guild Wars 2!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I said that for Aion, 2 weeks later, oh hai WoW, you look so good compared to the pile I just swam in.

I'm definitely going to be playing it. I loved the original Guild Wars and GW2 looks to be a massive improvement. I can't wait!

Just a quick question: Is it going to be a big massive open world or are we looking at instanced/zones world, as soon as you exit the town/city like GW1.

Deleted
    I'm just afraid that this game will run out of useable skills. That's the part I loved in GW, there were so many different builds. On that video it seemed like elementalist had like 20 skills, 5 for each attunement.

Quote Originally Posted by nobu View Post
    Just a quick question: Is it going to be a big massive open world or are we looking at instanced/zones world, as soon as you exit the town/city like GW1.
    I'm hoping for instanced zones. I liked that about GW1.

I'll look into it, and most certainly play a free trial. But I'll be short-eared if I'm caught paying 60$ for a game that I probably won't play after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I'm hoping for instanced zones. I liked that about GW1.
    The only instanced zones are dungeons.

The only thing I didn't like about the original was how I didn't feel like it was polished enough. And WOW, that looks absolutely amazing.

Two words my friends: Charr Necromancer.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

The sole fact that you can play as Charr makes me interested in the game. I fell in love with the race the very first time I fought them. They're like the Worgen of GW, only more awesome.
    Their appearance and personality beat the living snot out of the boring archetypal races that you get from the others.

as long as its a pick up and play game like almost all console RPG's are, then ill likely buy it. but if theyre trying to go after the traditional MMO style, or is Anything like GW1. then i wont play. even if i buy it, i probably wont play it long. there seems to be so much built in fail already, like the previously mentioned burning goldshire example.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Have been looking forward to this since I saw this same content, like 6 months ago when they went to... somewhere... germany perhaps? Some kind of big exhibition... Didn't bother watching the whole clip, since it started out exactly the same...

Nonetheless... The game looks good, looks like it'll play well, advance well, etc... Much better than some of the steaming pile aspects of the first (in other words, they learned some things... no surprise). And I'm glad they're actually making this one a massive...

Also, they love scaling, so I'm happy : )

-Alamar

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, don't feeling like wasting 60 bucks till I know its any good.

Pretty much every review I've read so far has been positive. I'm glad it's not going to be "kill x of this and y of that".

Only thing I didn't like about the original GW was that it felt more like a co-op RPG compared to an MMO. Everything was instanced and you barely ever ran into other players.

Probably going to try out the Norn first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully they don't go crazy with graphics and forget gameplay (hello Aion and Final Fantasy 14). So far the only game I played that had a chance to beat WoW was Warhammer Online because it introduced many awesome things WoW didn't have at the time. But its release date was during WoWs prime and it just wasn't as smooth as WoW. I'll probably be putting down WoW for a while, I have a really hard schedule in college this semester and Cata just isn't drawing me in. Its fun to do Archaeology and dailies, but it seems everything is trying to push for getting in a guild and playing a lot to get in close with them then raid and or do rated BGs. So I'd welcome any other game to play, Star Wars Old Republic looks good but has been "Coming Soon" forever, and I doubt DC Universe will do much more than City of Heroes did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Hell yes, i defo get it!
    Love GW 1 and will get GW 2 if only to support a good Dev. Team
    Quiting wowo over it for shure not, but maybe taking a break for 4-8 Weeks, depending on the state of wow at GWs release Date

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Anyone going to play Guild Wars 2 when it comes out? I used to shrug it off and think it would be garbage, but after looking at some game play I was shocked, if it is as good as it looks I might quit WoW for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgB9-1mysM
    If you watched that video and you wanted to play... there's something wrong with you.
    There's a lot wrong with it...
    - the way it was filmed -> it was bad... just bad a handcam held by someone probably masturbating, the people that made the game couldn't even bother to do a decent video of the game
    - they probably filmed it with a handcam because not even their computers can handle filming it and having a stable framerate at the same time so it means people with outdated PC's like me won't be able to play it even if they want
    - there's no lore, quest text, nothing... they see it as a good thing but it won't be since most people actually enjoy reading and getting some solid info about what they are doing
    - classes aren't so unique, oh look I can change from a tank to a melee to a ranged in combat and so can everyone else; and I only have 5 skills wohoo
    - there's shared group everywhere and it's for everyone near, they actually belive the community will be so helpfull with eachother and it would be great to be like that but it just isn't some people will just come for the loot and take it... don't tell me they are stupid enough not to realise that the same people who tag creatures will just come take your loot and XP without helping and leave
    - creatures scale with the number of players, what? again, they don't realise how bad the average gamer is, people will just come to increase the difficulty and let someone die to enjoy it or there will be AFK players and everything else

TL;DR - It's a bad design for a game to base it around the community helping eachother, it will die... fast and horribly.
    Last edited by mmocc6bc6f6fc2; 2011-01-09 at 08:21 AM.

=) I can't wait for this since I enjoyed gw1 quite a bit, but I probably won't quit wow for it..more than likely I'll just play both. To be honest if there had been more expansions I might still be playing guild wars.

edit: Also, as for the lack of quest text..this makes me said and happy at the same time.. Gw1 had some *great* quests that were really well written buuut... I will also honestly admit that half the time there and in wow I barely skim the text these days. I think if the way they want to present quests works as intended it will be a rather neat system.
    Last edited by nysha; 2011-01-09 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago View Post
    If you watched that video and you wanted to play... there's something wrong with you.
    - the way it was filmed -> it was bad... just bad a handcam held by someone probably masturbating, the people that made the game couldn't even bother to do a decent video of the game
    - there's no lore, quest text, nothing... they see it as a good thing but it won't be since most people actually enjoy reading and getting some solid info about what they are doing
    - classes aren't so unique, oh look I can change from a tank to a melee to a ranged in combat and so can everyone else; and I only have 5 skills wohoo
    - there's shared group everywhere and it's for everyone near, they actually belive the community will be so helpfull with eachother and it would be great to be like that but it just isn't some people will just come for the loot and take it... don't tell me they are stupid enough not to realise that the same people who tag creatures will just come take your loot and XP without helping and leave
    - creatures scale with the number of players, what? again, they don't realise how bad the average gamer is, people will just come to increase the difficulty and let someone die to enjoy it or there will be AFK players and everything else

TL;DR - It's a bad design for a game to base it around the community helping eachother, it will die... fast and horribly.
    -First off, this was not an official film by the company making this game, so it doesn't really reflect the quality of the game.
    -I agree with you somewhat on that one, but if you watch other videos, the npcs do a good job of explaining what's going on if you bother to pay attention to them.
    -There are not just 5 abilities per class. Those 5 abilities are based off of particular circumstances depending on class. There are also 5 other abilities that the player gets to choose. As far as all classes being able to perform all roles, that's the same as say a paladin or a druid in wow, they can, but if not properly specced or geared they will not excel at it.
    -How much xp the player gets is dependent on how much they actually participated in the event. They have to actively participate in order to reap the rewards. If everyone is participating enough, everyone will get the same rewards.
    -This one is a potential problem, but overall I think the idea will work. Every game is going to have problems due to players abusing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago View Post
    - they probably filmed it with a handcam because not even their computers can handle filming it and having a stable framerate at the same time so it means people with outdated PC's like me won't be able to play it even if they want

Sounds like someone has some angst with the current WoW community.

OT: Totally stoked to try out a Warrior when the time comes.