Deleted

Question Lore: Drakes of the N,E,S,W Wind - Anyone has info?

So as the title suggests, my question is about the Lore behind the Drakes of the Wind.

What kind of drakes are they even? "Protodrakes" "Netherdrakes" etc.

For example... Protodrakes do have lore surrounding them (Being like some of the first drakes in existence if my memory serves me well). I was wondering if there is anything that explains their origins? or what purpose they serve? What are the unusual markings on their bodies about? Etc etc.

Just got curious as they don't look much like the typical drakes within game.

PS, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I'd assume the stone drakes are more like elementals than true dragons, as they are made of stone and live in deepholm.
    Therefore it is probably safe to assume that the wind drakes are air elementals in the shape of dragons.

Drakes are drakes. They are dragons, not elementals. Are Emerald Drakes nature elementals because they are so closely tied to the dream? Not really. I'd say it's far more likely they're just infused with the power of the elements in which they are constantly surrounded. The earthen and frostborn are humanoid and the frost giants are still giants. Just having the traits of an element doesn't make something an elemental automatically.

Elementals are "elemental spirits" made of almost entirely pure energy of the element they represent. These drakes are not that in the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I'd assume the stone drakes are more like elementals than true dragons, as they are made of stone and live in deepholm.
    Therefore it is probably safe to assume that the wind drakes are air elementals in the shape of dragons.
    The Drakes of the Winds are not stone drakes though, they have scale covered bodies. They appear to be lightning-charged, and have spiked tails instead of club tails.

Good question I would love to see if anyone has anything on these magnificent creatures : )

I'm sure there is some ridiculous little story with how someone "found" them and sent it to you that you'll see if you complete one of the achievements that rewards one. For Frostwyrms I think it was faction leaders and for protos it was Brann and some bullshit about finding them as whelps or some crap.

Its mailed from Garrosh. Cant remember what it said. Stone Drakes are ugly anyways wtb exalted for phoenix already.

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe42 View Post
    The Drakes of the Winds are not stone drakes though, they have scale covered bodies. They appear to be lightning-charged, and have spiked tails instead of club tails.
    Hence the second sentence, the one you randomly decided not to read.
    Let me just copy and paste it from your quote.
    "it is probably safe to assume that the wind drakes are air elementals in the shape of dragons."

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    "it is probably safe to assume that the wind drakes are air elementals in the shape of dragons."
    What is the basis of that assumption? Based on the traditional definition of elementals, no, these are just drakes infused with elemental attributes. Elementals have a pretty tight definition that does not fit dragons.

edit: Keep in mind that the game classifies some things as elementals (specifically plants) that are not really elementals but for game mechanics purposes are best treated as such.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2011-01-10 at 10:07 PM.

They have markings similar to dragons from the Infinite Dragonflight.
    So if this is true then it has something to do with time traveling,

I was dissapointed in the lack of lore behind these drakes as well. I got the Volcanic Stone Drake yesterday, and having gotten several of these' achievement' drakes in the past, I was really looking forward to a little blurb in the mail about where it came from, or at least something. Instead of that, I got the standard "your bags were full so heres your item" mail.

"This was found in the twisting nether and discovered to belong to you." Or something to that effect.

For SHAME.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFoxIndy View Post
    What kind of drakes are they even? "Protodrakes" "Netherdrakes" etc.
    Storm Drakes

Deleted

Exclamation

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far.... well the valid ones.

Do they have something to do with the "Throne of the Four Winds" by any chance? I mean it really does sound connected... However, I haven't ventured into said dungeon yet, so I have no idea of the lore involved.

But then... the whole Al'akir thing troubles me. Al'akir + Drakes? o.O Hmmmm...

Then again, you do have a few drakes in the Vortex Pinacle. The ones who heal themselves within that rune casted on the floor.
    Last edited by mmoce9cda82a9d; 2011-01-10 at 11:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The drakes are most likely members of the Azeroth dragonflights that, somehow, ended up in the elemental planes and eventually became elemental creatures themselves, in the same way that black dragons exposed to the Twisting Nether's energies eventually became nether dragons.

It's also possible that they are naturally occurring creatures of the elemental planes. Flesh and blood elemental creatures are not unheard of - the Flamewakers of the Firelands are one example.