Overheating GPU problems

Hi all, I'm using a GeForce 9500 GT and over the past week or two whilst playing I'll get a sudden FPS drop from 40-50 to 2-4, that lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and occurs between every 10 and 45 minutes. After some searching I found it's likely due to overheating. I downloaded HWMon and for the first 5 minutes that my PC is on it will stay at around 43 degrees, then it will rise up to 75. This is while idle, when I tested with WoW earlier it was between 75-105.
    I haven't dusted it properly yet, I'll buy a can of air to do so tomorrow. I dusted what little I could without being worried about damaging anything, but that didn't drop the temperature at all. Hoping when I dust it properly it gets sorted, but I was just wondering if there's a way to check if the fan still works if it doesn't. I can't have the case open and have a look as the fan is in the bottom of the card.
    Any help's greatly appreciated
    Last edited by blackvivi265; 2011-01-14 at 06:49 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Start simple, dust it out properly.
    Then run this program Speedfan 4.42 if you can't have the case open. That will monitor your temperatures. Make sure you dust out the whole PC and not just the video card. Your CPU overheating can account for a sudden drop in FPS also.

On what quality settings do you run? On my 9500 GT I get like 15 fps on lowest ANYWHERE that has more than 3 people showing up on my screen. When im in the middle of nowhere (ex: middle of Badlands) I get to about 40. Kind of an old card, but anyway...

DO NOT use compressed air. I read that it can blow rust, oils, and moisture into your system which will kill it. Use Canned Air instead, look for the brand name "Dust Off"

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Start simple, dust it out properly.
    Then run this program Speedfan 4.42 if you can't have the case open. That will monitor your temperatures. Make sure you dust out the whole PC and not just the video card. Your CPU overheating can account for a sudden drop in FPS also.
    Yeah I'll make sure to dust the whole PC, it looks relatively clean but yeah will do. Doubt that it's the CPU, it ranges from 27 degrees to 52 from what I've seen.
    I'll try Speedfan once I've cleaned it though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    On what quality settings do you run? On my 9500 GT I get like 15 fps on lowest ANYWHERE that has more than 3 people showing up on my screen. When im in the middle of nowhere (ex: middle of Badlands) I get to about 40. Kind of an old card, but anyway...
    Yeah it's an old card but I can't upgrade it currently. Will do once I can though. I'm currently running with settings on fair. It's always seemed to run fine on good though for the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    DO NOT use compressed air. I read that it can blow rust, oils, and moisture into your system which will kill it. Use Canned Air instead, look for the brand name "Dust Off"
    Yeah my mistake, didn't mean compressed air. Oops. Thanks though

Check your Vsync option as well. With Vsync off my 285GTX gets up to about 75c but with Vsync enabled (thus keeping my framerate in line with my refresh rate) my temps hover around 60c under load.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Canned air is compressed air. What you probably read was in reference to using an air compressor which when not properly maintained will backup moisture into the system, causing the actual compressor itself to rust inside, which would allow rust particles to transfer to whatever you are spraying.

If the air compressor is properly maintained though it is fine.

I've always just used my compressor, works like a charm.
    What you should have warned him about, is that he has to fixate the blowers while he's dusting them off or he'll break the bearings