Strange Magmaw Logs

Magmaw 25N Logs

I was browsing around on logs are came across some incredibly high dps numbers for Magmaw. Even stranger was when I noticed the tank doing 20% or more of the total raid damage. It was my interpretation on this fight that the tank should NOT be damaging/holding threat on the Parasites when they spawn. Is this just an attempt to push dps numbers up the WOL chart or is there truly a better method on this fight to deal with parasites that doesn't involve your ranged killing them?

well might be dk kiting the worms? i mean there is a tactic to ignore the adds and let dk to aoe the worms alone works like a charm for 10 man at least

10+ Year Old Account
    @ mrgreenthump

Seems from the logs the warrior is just AoE tanking them, I'm curious on the reasoning for this strategy as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

The warriors are just plain tanking the parasites, getting meleed by them and spawning loads of extra parasites. The frost dks are kiting with howling blast.

We have our Prot Warrior gather them all up while everyone just AOE's them down. They die in a matter of 5-10 seconds, and the Warrior ends up doing a crapton of DPS.

If you looked at some of the first DPS rankings for this fight, I believe a Protection Warrior was (And maybe still is) at the top with around 20k.

If we don't have a dk to kite the worms, usually one of our paladin tanks gets all of them and just aoe's them down, I put out ridiculous damage numbers when I have to do this, because I'm constantly hitting many, many worms.

I thought the typical strategy just involved slowing them (traps, etc.) then ranging them down, but it seems to be a valid strategy using a tank with a bonus of pushing some crazy high dps numbers. The warrior tank at the top of the list pushed 53k dps which is plain silly!

I am guessing this wouldn't be a viable 10-man tactic? Since they might not be able to spare the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its still viable in 10 man presuming your healers can handle healing through the debuff on the main tank, since it is possible to tank him with just 1. One big thing with warrior tanks tanking the adds is that every time they kill one they can use victory rush for a free 30 percent heal (with glyph, actually even higher with talents but I dont feel like figuring it out). So they dont even need healing after the worms start to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelbak-Illidan View Post
    @ mrgreenthump

Seems from the logs the warrior is just AoE tanking them, I'm curious on the reasoning for this strategy as well.
    Generating 40k dps prot warrior logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Generating 40k dps prot warrior logs.
    More like why aren't our damn DKs online bah!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningStick View Post
    I am guessing this wouldn't be a viable 10-man tactic? Since they might not be able to spare the tank.
    A lot of 10-man guilds use 2-tanks.

It helps healing to tank swap anyway due to the huge armor debuff and do you really need another melee DPS? The enrage timer is supposedly 10 minutes... our kills (with 2 tanks) have been WAY faster than that - around 8 minutes usually.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

We have always just used 1 tank on our 10m kills. Our regular tanks is prot warrior and paladin, Paladin changes into his ret offspecc. And the warrior tanks the boss. For the first and second mangle he uses one of his own CD's, the third one he calls out for Pain Suppression from our priest. By that time the warrior has a CD ready again. The boss is usually dead for us shortly after the fourth mangle.

Healing has neven been an issue apart from our first tries.