Thread: Internet Help!

10+ Year Old Account

Internet Help!

So I might be moving into my Aunt's house for awhile. She uses a new linksys router all the way up in her room. She uses a wired connection into it, although I think there is also wireless internet throughout the house, i'm not sure if it is setup right considering she just plugs an ethernet cord into the router.

I will be moving into her basement which is realllllllly far from her room, 2 floors. How can I get a wired connection down there into my laptop using her ISP. I can buy my own router, or something...Also if there is in fact wireless, is there any way I can boost the signal so that is is strong all the way down in her basement?

Thanks!

You can run an ethernet cable down, or pray that the signal on the wireless is strong enough. Also I seriously doubt your aunt has a password on her router based on your description and if her wireless is not secured, lol. Seriously though fix it for her if it's not.

Only cost and performance effective way to "boost" a wireless signal on a home setup is really to buy a stronger router.

15+ Year Old Account
    next time you go over, try for wireless. if there is a password, the default login for most linksys routers is 'admin' or 'Administrator' and the password is either 'admin' or just left blank. from there you can either set up her wireless (after talking to her) or find what the password for the wireless is
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Well if you leave the router upstairs, you will most likely get a poor signal in the basement which means lower performance and speeds. What you could do is move the router downstairs one floor and hook up both computers wirelessly or go to your local retail store and try to find a wireless router that will give you a good signal down there. If it doesn't work, return it and try another one
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account
    HomePlug is imo the best sollution @ that situation.

Wifi would be possible with some sort of extra router/amplifier, but i wouldnt recommend wifi for Wow.
    Last edited by Azerox; 2011-01-24 at 06:50 PM.