Poll: What raid boss damage mechanic do you dislike the most?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What Raid Boss Mechanic do you dislike the Most?

What Kind of Raid boss damage mechanic do you dislike the most? This applies to both sources and potential sources of dmg

Fire
    Tank Swapping
    Adds (tanked)
    Cleaves & localized boss aoe
    Debuffs
    Chain lightning or meteor (non-split)
    Random dmg spikes
    Interupts
    kiting
    Other

Honestly I probably dislike random spike dmg the most like anub's frost orb.

Being punted back or thrown into the air, especially if you are forced to take fall damage afterward. Every boss that does this makes me want to tear my hair out.

I generally hate anything that can reduces peoples HP to 0.

That's just my somewhat biased opinion as a healer though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not really a "mechanic", but one thing that really annoys me is any kind of RNG that can wipe you or make things nearly impossible . There's no skill to that, it's just luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    Being punted back or thrown into the air, especially if you are forced to take fall damage afterward. Every boss that does this makes me want to tear my hair out.
    /agree

I also dislike boss self-healing mechanics (anub, saurfang, i'm lookin' at you)
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Localized AoE. My main is melee DPS, and it really annoys the crap out of me when I have to sit out or bring a caster alt because of this. A lot of boss fights in Cata have splash damage on the melee, short-range AoE, etc. You're almost forced to stack casters for these fights, because every melee is a guaranteed drain on healer mana, through no fault of their own (or in other fights they can avoid the damage, but it requires so much movement that their DPS is in the toilet).

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate any boss that creates a situation where healing is reduced to zero.

Loetheb...the Soul boss thing in black temple. Even the stupid puppies leading up to Putricide.

I raid as a healer. Any mechanic which makes me useless makes me feel....useless. I get the reason for fights like that and I even agree it is quite creative, but it just makes me feel useless and then healing becomes this awkward mess.

Knockback, and mechanics where you have to stop dpsing, specaly when you need for an ability to hit b4 you push it into next phase, PP hc any1 ?
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Being punted followed by what feels like a stun...(Sulfuron Harbinger)

And localized AOE

Also, i remember kiting Chow on Gluth on both 10 and 25 man as a ret paladin in prot gear in Wrath, that was fun stuff.
    Last edited by Mancowski; 2011-01-24 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added thing. THING

Pure RNG mechanics. For example, on H LK. Every once in a while (not often, maybe once every other week), we'd be going along and all of a sudden somebody would just drop dead to a one-shot. Either the person with the plague or the OT. Always for the same reason - failed dispel. Not a dispel we didn't cast in time, but one that failed outright. So incredibly frustrating. We make enough mistakes on our own without needing Blizzard to throw random "sorry, you lose" at us.

Not really any particular mechanic that bothers me, in current content though one fight sticks out in my mind, elementium monstrosity. Only one thing on that fight that irritates me, those god damn winds bouncing you all over the place, the amount of times i taken wind buff only to be bounced right into a grounding one right after...

If everyone that voted on this would have heald halfus hc, they would all pick random dmg spikes.

I hate when a fight drastically favors ranged or melee.

Atramedes is a great example, "air phase" melee can do what... run and hide or the few of us with some ranged abilities get to do 15% of our normal dps

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate knockbacks, thrown into the air or any movement slowing (where movement is required to stay alive). Blargh! Those bother me!

edit: and as said above I hate "air phase".

Halfus drakes being random.
    I hate being unprepared...

I know this is a different response then the rest of the posts but I like all of those things being present it makes the fights more challenging, it wouldnt be as fun if it was a face roll, and you wouldnt feel as proud to sport some epics if you saw the same person next to you wearing the same item along with a bunch of greens.

OT: i guess i would have to chose interupts, i dont mind them its just 3 sec casts that need to be interupt is a little much, maybe more like 5 secs cause unless you have an ehance shamman its a lot harder.

Any ability that has RNG timing such that, coupled with another ability, can two-shot someone in a tenth of a second.

Hell, any ability that has RNG timing where the difficulty of the encounter lies on when those abilities go off.

For example: Pillar of Flame on Magmaw. Sometimes it gets cast once between head-down phases, sometimes it gets cast twice. The fight's pretty decent in one, downright obnoxious in the other.
    Another example: Valkaries and Defile on Lich King. About 10% of the time the normal order would reverse, so the raid would be stacked up for valkaries only for defile to land in the middle of everyone. Bam. Wipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst mechanic is huge damage spikes.

I cannot stand healing mechanics that bosses have. Not to many bosses have them thankfully, but I loathe the ones that do.

Deleted
    interrupts , seriously in 25 man its easyier but in 10 man with a group with not alot of interrupts its a pain ;/