Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Since 2600k is out, what to next???

I was going to upgrade my comp with an i5 etc, but with the recall and stuff and my impatience, I want to build something else. I was browing the amd stuff and was thinking about an x4 970 black build. I know wow performance will suffer...so should I wait for them to fix the sandy bridge or go ahead and get amd stuff instead???

10+ Year Old Account
    could probably still get an i5 sb and just exclusively use the 6gb sata ports assuming you don't plan on running with more then 2 sata drives
    if you need more just buy a pci-x sata card
    also use an old school ide dvdrom to save on sata ports pretty sure they can't tranfer faster then that anyhow
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-02-02 at 04:06 AM.

WAIT for sandy bridge! At the moment intel has no competition with the SB chipset, and the price/performance ratio is INCREDIBLE!
    Take my word, wait for it.

As its already been said just take advantage of the 6gbs and buy now or wait til after the fix and buy then. At the moment there is no argument SB is king and as of today no one else has an answer for it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    When do you think newegg will start selling sb processors and mobo's again?

15+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting that NewEgg pulled the CPUs from market when it's a problem in the PCH of the P67 chipset. They have no real reason to pull the CPUs themselves from the shelves.

15+ Year Old Account
    My guess is intel pulled everything to discourage people from buying the places that do have motherboards for sale still and then complaining, whining, etc
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Get a AMD combo for around 250, everything including the memory will work with Sandy Bridge. If you want to wait for the enthusiast portion of the i7 chips you may want to get a Quad Channel DDR3 setup instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    could probably still get an i5 sb and just exclusively use the 6gb sata ports assuming you don't plan on running with more then 2 sata drives
    if you need more just buy a pci-x sata card
    also use an old school ide dvdrom to save on sata ports pretty sure they can't tranfer faster then that anyhow
    Don't know if any SB motherboard even has IDE anymore. But an extra marvel SATA controller is usually present on higher-end boards (bringing up the total count of flawlessly working SATA 6Gbps ports to 4,maybe more if it has an marvell for eSata aswell)

Just because you can't get them on newegg doesn't mean you can't get them anywhere. Although I have noticed that the prices skyrocketed on places like amazon.com. If gaming is your primary concern, either pay the extra few bucks and order them on amazon.com (or any other website you can find them on) or wait until they settle this issue and start selling them again at normal prices. If you go with AMD build, you can expect to get 30-50% lower fps in WoW, depending on your settings and resolution.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely