Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    then we can start negotiating with our pets. before thats its just guessing and assuming in therms of "i guess they dont want painfull stuff like any other animal" etc.
    Rights only belong to those who can articulate the need for them? I don't think that's right...

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Rights only belong to those who can articulate the need for them? I don't think that's right...
    You're right. They belong to all sentient beings, regardless of the ability to express them. Still doesn't mean a cow has a "right" not to become my dinner and/or shoes.

PETA has been known to encourage students to use (and taught them how to make) bombs. At least I saw that on Pen and Teller's if that's a legit source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    You're right. They belong to all sentient beings, regardless of the ability to express them. Still doesn't mean a cow has a "right" not to become my dinner and/or shoes.
    Sure, I just don't see a group that tries to encourage people to not eat cows as being equivalent to not letting you consume what ever you want. PETA has no legislative power and a weaker lobby arm than the food industry. All they can do is encourage and try to persuade, which I personally choose to ignore. I don't understand all this negative vitriol towards a group that just wants to help animals.

---------- Post added 2011-02-02 at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    PETA has been known to encourage students to use (and taught them how to make) bombs.
    So does the library...

I actually researched PETA for a college class of mine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about preventing animal cruelty and I myself am a wildlife conservationist. But here's some interesting tidbits I found about PETA.

- According to their own records (which they tried hard to not reveal) they do indeed kill roughly 80% of the animals they supposedly save. As Ingrid Newkirk put it "…sometimes the only kind option for some animals is to put them to sleep forever.”
    - The "Bird Flu Kills: Go Vegetarian" campaign made me laugh as you can't get bird flu from ingesting infected animals or eggs.
    - The "Holocaust on your plate" campaign is just downright horrid. They compared side by side photos of Jews that were killed in concentration camps to pictures of livestock and then have the audacity to say we treat livestock the same way the Nazi's treated the Jews in WW2.
    - The FDA requires all medicines to be tested on animals before being approved. Various medicines that have been developed through animal testing includes, but are not limited to: insulin, pain killers, penicillin, streptomycin(an antibiotic drug which was the first to cure tuberculosis), anti-inflammatory drugs, anticoagulants(anti-blood clotting drugs, which are useful in prevention of pulmonary embolism, heart attacks, and strokes), chemotherapy, and cyclosporine(an immunosuppressant drug); just to name a few. If PETA had their way we wouldn't have said medicines nor could we safely develop more.
    - PETA does in fact support violence. Bruce Friedrich, PETA’s vegan campaign coordinator had this to say at the Animal Rights Conference in 2001:
    "If we really believe that animals have the same right to be free from pain and suffering at our hands, then, of course we’re going to be, as a movement, blowing things up and smashing windows. I think it’s a great way to bring about animal liberation. I think it would be great is all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses, these laboratories, and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow. I think it’s perfectly appropriate for people to take bricks and toss them through the windows… Hallelujah to the people who are willing to do it."

TL;DR: PETA is a horrible organization who supports violence and makes offensive untrue claims. All the while claiming to save animals when they themselves kill a lot more animals then they supposedly save. So the next time you’re considering to support this zealous organization, please, have some common sense and just say no to PETA.
    Last edited by Flagellum; 2011-02-02 at 04:39 PM.

PETA is a terrorist organization. end of story

"Don't be a fool Jimmy, If a cow ever got the chance, he will eat you and everyone you care about!"

youtube.com/watch?v=bps-xbo8wnA

PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
    --Glamour, January 1990

Hypocrisy much?

Quote Originally Posted by Desminn View Post
    true that....tell a vegitarian (that is one for the sake of "saving animals") the next time your at a store how thankful the ground beef is that the vegitarian saved its life.
    This comment and the one that quotes it are a new low for the community of this website.

Its called offer and demand. If the meatvendor has to throw away rotting meat, thats a huge loss for him, so next time he will order less meat. The slaughterhouse will in turn cut down on the killing because it cant get its meat sold anymore. Thus in the end saving animals.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unkn0wnerr0r View Post
    Man I hate to tell you but everything on the internet isn't true. Sometimes there are things posted that are just lies. I'm not saying this is one, I don't know enough about peta to know. If I wanted to know though, I would go to more than one website. I would look up financial information about them etc.

I would start by looking at something like this:

http://www.peta.org/about/learn-abou...al-report.aspx

Then I would move on to Ingrid Newkirk, you should be able to find plenty of information about her. Then follow that with the other directors.

My point is that you should not base something on one internet page. If you feel strongly you should go find information. There is tons of it available by law for you to look at.

Personally I don't eat meat, I won't ever try to force that on someone else. The idea of forcing someone to conform goes against the very ideas that America is based on. That said, I survive quite well without taking from animals. I know many others that do as well. Your argument is invalid, and is not founded in fact. It is founded in opinion, and you should express it as such. If you prefer to eat meat, then say it like this:

I prefer to take the life of an animal in order to make my meal more enjoyable.

Now that's your right in most cases. You are killing something to please yourself. I won't say it's some "evil", I just disagree with it. Saying we MUST kill to live though, that I just can't agree with. You don't even have to kill all plants to harvest from them. Anyway I don't want this to turn into some debate over being a vegetarian vs meat eating. That's not even an argument that I think should happen because it's a personal choice. I just wanted to clear up that you are wrong and we don't have to kill animals to live. Hell, people in a coma are still alive..

Moaradin you know I like ya man. That said I consider talking with you a pleasure, therefore I have to go there.

Animals also see nothing wrong with rape. Should we then make it legal that if a man can hold down a woman he has the right to breed with her? I am fairly certain you will say no. To which I will reply why? If we live by the law of us all being animals and anything they do is o.k., then shouldn't we be able to. No, because we are better than that. We have laws preventing someone stronger from coming into your home raping your wife/daughter and declaring your house as their own. Humans have tried desperately to move away from that chaos.

The human body, as well as the body of every animal needs meat. I wish you good luck with your body when you're well over 60 if you're a vegetarian.

People Eating Tasty Animals?
    Last edited by Sockie; 2011-02-02 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Nom nom nom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagellum View Post
    According to their own records (which they tried hard to not reveal) they do indeed kill roughly 80% of the animals they supposedly save. As Ingrid Newkirk put it "…sometimes the only kind option for some animals is to put them to sleep forever.”
    That's not unique to PETA, but is part of animal control. 80% of pets do not get adopted, so they get put to sleep. If PETA's cause was more effective, these animals would be adopted instead of killed. But, then again, for some reason when ever I see this stat mentioned, I never hear anyone say that pets should be adopted to lower the number. In fact, this stat only comes from those who oppose PETA, making people less likely to actually go to PETA and adopt, thus directly contributing to keep the 80% statistic as high as it is. I don't know why people do this, seems pretty cruel to me...

Here are a few more sites, made by the people who made the PETA site you linked:

http://www.alcoholfacts.org/
    This site actually demonizes mothers against drunk driving and wants more lenient laws, less regulation for driving drunk and believes that mothers against drunk driving are bad because they try to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

http://www.mercuryfacts.org/
    This site tells you that mercury found in fish is harmless and that women who are pregnant should be encourage to consume fish and anyone who tells you otherwise it tries to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

http://cspiscam.com/
    This site tells you that Center for Science in the Public Interest is bad because it tries to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

http://www.animalscam.com/
    Another site attacking PETA because they try to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

http://obesitymyths.com/
    A site that tells you that obesity is not so bad, and everyone who tells you different is bad because they try to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

http://sweetscam.com/
    A site devoted to telling you that corn syrup is not bad, but is just like "real sugar", and everyone who tells you different is bad because they try to regulate what you can eat, smoke or drink.

These are all sites created by Center for Consumer Freedom, which is funded by the alcohol, tobacco and food industry. It is part of the lobby on Washington, which spends millions a year to convince people that regulations are bad. If you want to donate money to these multi-billion dollar companies, you can do so here http://activistcash.com/. Hurry, these wealthy companies need your help so they can sell you more stuff. Even a small donation will go a long way...

The fish site is hillarious. Especially when you see that villages in Japan who survive of strictly fish are dieing because all children are born with healthdefects linked to poisoning and mercury.

Humans have a code about how we treat other humans, we like to think we are civilized and we call these human right's. A dog does not have a code about how it will treat another dog, it may be friends with it, or if it pee's in the wrong spot in the park it may kill it. Also I'v seen about as many dogs stop a robber as I have shark attacks in real life.

There are some methods of making food that we don't need, that should be stopped, like how you make foie gras.

You should care about the food you put in your body tho. That should extend to how something lives before you eat it. You don't want someone cutting corners when they build the house you live in, or when they build a car or buss, why your food?

You should respect what you eat. Its allowing you to live, and also respect yourself. Should you burn the world because some red food dyes are made form beetles? NO, but you know something dies every day so each of us can live.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2011-02-02 at 04:50 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do not know much about them, but creating a thread, because you found a SINGLE URL ON THE WEB shows that you are not critical with your analysis... That's the most common way for wrong knowledge to spread.

I do not say that this page is wrong, spreads wrong information or whatever - just wanna say that one source is not always the truth...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helic View Post
    A dog does not have a code about how it will treat another dog, it may be friends with it, or if it pee's in the wrong spot in the park it may kill it.
    That's not true at all. Dogs are pack animals and are community dependent. Dogs also need a reason to kill, they do not do so for fun. In fact, an extremely limited, amount of animals kill for fun.

Sure, I just don't see a group that tries to encourage people to not eat cows as being equivalent to not letting you consume what ever you want. PETA has no legislative power and a weaker lobby arm than the food industry. All they can do is encourage and try to persuade, which I personally choose to ignore. I don't understand all this negative vitriol towards a group that just wants to help animals.
    So does the library...
    My problem with PETA is the invasiveness of their methods and the fact that they try to shove their ideals down everyone else's throat. They have no power to enforce anything, but that doesn't stop them from waging shock campaigns. For example, this, aimed at children:
    (yes this is real)
    They also collaborate with domestic terrorists and thugs like the ALF, which makes them just as bad as far as I'm concerned. Their batshit-insane leader is an outspoken advocate of "direct action" (force and violence) to get their way. They also go into shelters and "adopt" dogs and cats just to euthanize them on their own terms.

The crackpot who runs the group has openly admitted that it's ok for millions of people to keep dying to aids and cancer even if the answer could be found by animal testing, so yeah, I have a huge problem with them, and I would host a god damn party if I heard that she was dead.

And the library encourages people to make explosives? That's a new one.

I'm opposed to animals being treated cruelly or killed for amusement or needless reasons, but they are animals, not people, and the line is drawn there.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2011-02-02 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    There are some methods of making food that we don't need, that should be stopped, like how you make foie gras.
    I disagree whole hardly. If you don't want people to make good duck liver, encourage people to not eat it. Just stopping production is prohibition and does not work. It will in fact lead to worse treatment of animals as the conditions for animals, when they become a black market commodity, is worse than it is when it would just be available to all.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnLag View Post
    PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
    --Glamour, January 1990

Hypocrisy much?

TL;DR She should commit suicide to set an example
    I think I managed to highlight your point a bit. She would die if she didn't take insulin. There has to be a limit where you say, this is the only thing that can keep me alive, it is against my principles but I would die if I didn't take it.