Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Will i get a performance boost?

Currently have 2GB 1333mhz RAM Single Channnel.
    While playing WoW the usage is at about 80% and even up to 90% when playing something like GTA IV.
    Im using Windows 7 64. my RAM usage is about 620-700MB Idle.

I just ordered 2GB more RAM @ 1333mhz. So ill have 4GB Dual Channel.
    Will i get better performance in games? Even now theyre only using 80% But if i have more RAM. Will they use more?
    Only program i have open while playing a game is either Winamp or Skype. And never together.

specs here btw: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1624155
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-02-02 at 04:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Considering my laptop can barely do anything now on 2gb versus the 4 it used to have, yes.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Lol i know about your "Multitasking sessions"
    I dont have 40 tabs of net browser open as i play.

15+ Year Old Account
    It can barely run WoW with nothing else open though...

Deleted
    Weird that i can at 25-30 frames in Orgrimmar and 60 in leveling zones. :/ But yeah i hope i can run with higher settings then.
    I dont raid. I got this PC just on Cata launch and never had the chance to even test a 25 man raid.
    Current settings: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/949...3011144554.jpg

My machine has never had 2gbs single channel but I did have 2gbs in it while my faulty OCz memory was getting RMAed.

The difference between 2gb and 4gb is huge. I can imagine going from 2gb single channel to 4gb dual channel would be even larger.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    GOOD! Looking forward. Thanks.

Wouldn't 2 GB of RAM already be operating in dual channel, unless the RAM was designed to be single channel? If you have single channel only RAM in your rig and you put dual channel RAM in there alongside it, the system will only operate at single channel. If all modules are designed for dual channel operation, then it should be fine.

WoW's best snack is RAM so yes you would see a noticable performance boost

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nejji View Post
    Wouldn't 2 GB of RAM already be operating in dual channel, unless the RAM was designed to be single channel? If you have single channel only RAM in your rig and you put dual channel RAM in there alongside it, the system will only operate at single channel. If all modules are designed for dual channel operation, then it should be fine.
    You kind of need two sticks to run dual channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    You kind of need two sticks to run dual channel.
    Alright, this makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking there were two 1 GB modules. =/

Best things to update if $$$$ isn't an issue

Video Card
    CPU
    Memory (4g should be enough)
    Power Supply to support any med to high end video card

Buy in that order if you want a good machine

If $$$ is an issue, upgrade to win7, disable windows services and startup programs, remove uneeded mods, use Addon Control Manager or w/e it's called.

Deleted
    Sherloc. Your sherlocky name doesnt fit you today.
    For other games, Yes the video card upgrade will usually help. But for WoW its the CPU.
    Theres no specific order to upgrade if you want better performance. There are always bottlenecks.
    And if you plan on upgrading video card you should swap upgrade number 1 and 4 the other way round.

And yes $$$$$ is an issue. But if you'd had read my post i mentioned that im already running Seven x64.
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-02-02 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Sherloc. Your sherlocky name doesnt fit you today.
    For other games, Yes the video card upgrade will usually help. But for WoW its the CPU.
    Theres no specific order to upgrade if you want better performance. There are always bottlenecks.
    And if you plan on upgrading video card you should swap upgrade number 1 and 4 the other way round.

And yes $$$$$ is an issue. But if you'd had read my post i mentioned that im already running Seven x64.
    Generally yes, and in your case yes probably. But Geforce 9600 GT? Meh ;P

9600 GT could certainly bottneck you out in the open new shiny world if you like playing with shiny settings like high res textures, ground cluttering, particle density and liquid details on max. Try monitoring GPU activity while flying in uldum.

but wth luxury is luxury. Going to 4 GB of RAM should improve your computing experience quite a bit and is fairly cheap.

Deleted
    This GPU easily runs BC2 on Medium with 4x AF easily with 40 fps

Deleted
    AF really barely uses anything, its AA that is the hog. I run a 9800 GT can run with everything on ultra, 16x AF, but shadows on med and only 1x AA though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    This GPU easily runs BC2 on Medium with 4x AF easily with 40 fps
    If you would OC that cpu of yours a bit further you might get some decent performance boost aswell.

Deleted
    No one never said that AF is the shit. Just added it to what settings i run Bad Company 2 on. Didnt include AA cause its obviously on 1x

If you would OC that cpu of yours a bit further you might get some decent performance boost aswell.
    Ive overclocked it from core 650mhz to core 680mhz and memory from 1008mhz to 1085mhz.
    Thats pretty light right? Should it try and OC it more?
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-02-02 at 07:57 PM.

The general rule of thumb is that with any increase in RAM you will see an increase in performance, until you start talking about very high numbers (going from 10gb to 12gb, for example).

I know personally, I was running 6gb and had a power surge, it fried two of my RAM sticks, which put me down to 2gb, and it was like my computer was switched out with one from 1999.

Deleted
    The general rule of thumb is that with any increase in RAM you will see an increase in performance, until you start talking about very high numbers (going from 10gb to 12gb, for example).
    Well yeah. But even 4GB vs 8GB gives no performance increase unless you're a heavy multitasker.