Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Concerning Magmaw and unbalanced raid

Recently, my raid has started in on the new content, and we are struggling with killing the adds in magmaw. My concern for our raid is simply that we have too much melee dps on this fight (3 for our 10man), while our range, a lock(myself) and an arcane mage, are left dealing with the adds. Does anyone know a strat for Magmaw that uses more melee in it or is this combination for our raid just bad? I've listed our last set up for further information below

Tank(2):
    Paly, Prot
    DK, Blood
    Melee(3):
    Rogue, Assassination
    Rogue, COmbat
    Warrior, Arms
    Range(2):
    Lock, Affliction
    Mage, Arcane
    Healer(3):
    Druid(Resto)
    Priest(holy)
    Priest(Disc)

any advice would greatly appreciated, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    We just have all the DPS/healers stack where melee usually stacks and have 1 tank grab all the parasites. It's surprisingly easy.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

either you switch from affliction to demo to bomb the shit out of them, or you go with a 1-tank-strategy and let you blood dk go frost for the adds.

edit: oh yeah, or what Shamslam said :3
    its also do-able
    ››yeah, here used to be a signature once. I've must lost it somewhere in the twisting nether... still waiting for the mail from the postmaster.

My raid uses only one tank, have your offtank go frost dps, and spam howling blast on the adds, spec into chillblains for the slow. Not having a frost dk or hunter to slow the adds would make that fight super hard, imo. Good luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you got a warrior tank just let him tank all the adds and you can almost completely ignore them. If you got fire mages let them dump their blastwave on it on cd ( for the haste buff ) and you should be fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    My raid uses only one tank, have your offtank go frost dps, and spam howling blast on the adds, spec into chillblains for the slow. Not having a frost dk or hunter to slow the adds would make that fight super hard, imo. Good luck.
    Unless you use the tank tanking them method, which is slightly harder on healers but still very dooable :P.

You don't have any aoe snares from what I see.
    A hunter trap, frost DK, shammy totem or something to that effect would
    greatly help.

From what I hear, people also do it by tanking them, but mehhhh.

I found it fairly easy to keep the adds controlled as a mage specced frost into cone of cold. Arcane doesn't have great aoe dps.

Have your mage spec frost for this fight and fire for nearly every other fight. Arcane is the weakest dps spec now.

No mater what comp you have, you can down a boss, use you're imagination and anything can get done.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Wow, of all the terrible raid comps.....

Arcane mage, combat rogue, arms warrior. Why are they playing lesser specs?

Deleted
    Yeah, The Mage should go either fire or frost since arcane isn't that good of dps anymore and you as a warlock should go demo and use you're 40k AoE dps to kill the adds =)

Fire Mage
    Fury Warrior
    Demo Lock
    Frost DK tank

Try again

1st...you should only have 2 melee MAX. we had ranged excluding our hunter, stacking up with melee. Hunter standing out to take the pillar but moving away from it ofc. then ranged switch to the adds. this reduces the chance people get hit by pillars, by letting the hunter taking all the pillars. also your ranged and healers must stack really close to the melee dps if not you'll most prolly get pillared. and yeah kill adds as they spawn. as a boomie, i usually pre-plant mushrooms, boom them, starfall and hurricane. as a dest lock, i SF them, and RoF. as a demo lock, i lolmovingfelfire them.

Goodluck (:

If your guildies aren't willing to spec for the encounter (your lock could go demo and practically solo the adds), then just tank the adds.

I tanked the adds for our alt-run last Sunday on my prot paladin.. They don't do that much damage and I was able to kill plenty of them while putting out plenty of self-healing. Position EVERYONE except the OT in melee range and the OT will always be the target for the pillar. All of our DPS focused 100% on the boss. Healers had no problem keeping either tank up.

You want to learn how to handle the adds eventually, as that skill is very useful on Maloriak and Cho'Gall, but feel free to just tank the adds for now. Also, realize that a balanced raid is required for some fights. This is not WotLK.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    No mater what comp you have, you can down a boss, use you're imagination and anything can get done.

Okay I want to do it with 10 resto druids.

Once one of your ranged establishes initial aggro have your rogues peel off and FoK/ToTT to them with deadly poison on their thrown weapons. Should help DPS and control. The Adds have a regular aggro table, the rogues can get up close and personal as long as they are misdirecting.

Also until that big worm is impaled killing those little buggers is priority anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    Okay I want to do it with 10 resto druids.
    Hey mr strawman, I doubt he meant literally any comp so much as any comp composed of 2 tanks, 2-3 healers, 5-6 dps

Deleted
    If you go demo and the mage goes fire you should be fine on adds