Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitiga View Post
    While the soul class development may superficially seem like a huge innovation, what new does it it fact bring? Nothing is my very best bet. What they've done is instead eroding the point of having different classes completely. Anyone can do anything. Just level one toon to max level and you are set to go, complete with 4 different class builds, everything you could ever hope to need. In my opinion, that takes out so much from the game. I have 3 lvl 85 toons in wow, and not one of them have followed the exact same level progression. I'm very grateful for that oppotunity to questing in the areas I never got to on one toon, or to relive partuculary funny quests.

Big raids are not necessarily a good thing. Wow started out at 40 man, and has moved down to 10.

If health is the only thing they got, we are back to Patchwerk tank and spank aka BORING!. An encounter that require proper execution instead of simply raw dps, wins on the fun-chart any day, and this is exactly where blizzard has the Ace in the sleeve. They know how to design these encounters we've come to love wiping on for hours on end. I can't wait to see what they've in store for us in the next tires of Cata.

As for the low graphics and glitchy realeses of wow, there are multiple reasons.

The graphics of wow is cartoonish pr design, to keep it in line with style of the game series as a whole. Also, making a game that require top-end hardware to run properly, cuts you off from a significant customer base.

Glitchy realeases are a simple consequence of having monopoly; you can afford to be sloppy. If this is something that becomes an issue, I'll bet we'll see blizzard tighten up.
    Hmm... Not quite clear on your thinking. So you would rather have 9 lvl 85 characters that individualy are good at individual things instead of being able to have one or two characters that can when needed be able to change to fit a suitable position in a group? Seems like alot of wasted time. And its not a shift on the fly change. you are not fighting a warrior type and he hits a button and now is a stealth type then a mage once he gets away blasting you with spells. honestly its obvious from your post you haven't been involved in any play of the actual game but have just seen commercials.

And big Raids are really nothing like you are posting them. You enter a area that has a rift and a button pop's up and asks if you want to participate. Click it and you are immediatly added to all the people that are also there that are fighting that rift. No Queing. None of that I wanna join can I! And participation and loot is handled not by a " Master looter" that is a person and could be biased. When that Rift or situation is over there is another pop-up that gives you random loot based on your participation lvl, If you were there for every stage of the Rift (( how long you were fighting ) and what not.

Please before you post something. Get some info.

It takes some aspects of WoW and greatly improves them, but it is far from better. I love the whole soul system for example and people being able to have multiple roles on 1 character.
    http://www.badomen.info/website/
    Bad Omen recruiting!
    7/13 heroic 25
    Lf:
    Death Knight (DPS)
    Holy Paladin
    Shadow Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassyn View Post
    World of Warcraft has a lot of flaws. Arrogant and flat out rude developers as well as the inability to listen to its community base. It has adopted the attitude that your ' addicted now take this crap and Enjoy it".
    Try to find any game, where the developers stay so much in contact with their playerbase as WoW does. I think it was about time they got a little "Ok, enough. We know what we're doing, so just trust us".

The WoW players are spoiled little kids. They got some attention and now that it's waning down a little, due to the MASSIVE (!!!!!) flaming of every single employee of Blizzard, whenever they changed the toenail colour of their favorite class, it seems people like Ghostcrawler has stopped writing on the forums.

But of course, every single of the 10 million players know better and more about the game than the developers. How dare they not listen to us. We pay money to play, so we own the right to be a part of the development process. Here's a heads-up for you: No we don't. It's their game, their rules. Always has been, always will be.

They chose to include us, to start dialogues and feedback about the game, even though they never had to. And look what they get for it. Endless flaming, hateletters, personal grudges and people demanding that "they do their job right". Yet they keep on doing it. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why. I would have closed down that part long ago, as their psych-bill must be through the roof. All for something that is a service and not something you see everywhere.

Overall, players need to learn some respect to those who actually gave them 6 years of enjoyment and doing a hell of a job every step of the way.
    Last edited by mmocede1c7ebf3; 2011-02-08 at 01:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Was in Beta 5 And 6.
    I was a level 20 Mage, I had all but the pvp Soul.
    (Here are some Pro's And Con's of the game)

The Pro's:
    1:An interesting new game mechanic, Random world Events, Rifts And invasions, And other non-rift related Events.
    2:Class combat and spec options = infinity.
    3:Fresh new Art style, The Tree's Rocks and plants look sharp, not blocks with painted sides, no 2 tree's are the same.

The Con's:
    1:Some UI Elements are taking a step back to the old wow "Not in a good way"
    First: the Pet Bar Button 3 is Stay, Wow now has "move to" And makes pet control fun.
    Second: The Bags Auction house and Armor preview windows need lots more work, They really suck.
    2:The engine used feels slapped together reused or old, The audio has no Quality options on the user side.
    And the video options go past Ultra by quite a bit in the options but barely change how it looks at all.
    3:Overwhelming at the start "Unfriendly to new mmo players" Within the first 2 minutes they replace your default armor with more lowbie loot
    Give you your first soul talent tree, and if your lucky you complete a few quests before a rift ruins your day.

Then if you live past this you have to deal with professions, Take Runecrafting "Enchanting" for one.
    Wow=Dust, Essence, Shard, Epic shard.
    Rift 1 of 3 kinds of dust Combine 5 to make that kind of Essence, Combine 3 to make First shard, Combine 5 to make Epic shard.
    Half the tooltips don't say you can combine when you can and need to.

And this is just the crap between 1-20.

When you get to the first town that sells goods and armor, you better wear leather because they don't sell anything else.

And Before you say, Graphics are better, Try this on for size.

Wow's stylized its supposed to look how it does thats the art direction.
    But The wow Water engine wins over rifts.

Rifts Water engine is between wow's old and new engines.
    But rift renders trees plants and Rocks better then wow.

If your going to Quit, pre-order the game and if your still liking it when your first month runs out then go for it
    But other then the beta I doubt that im going to keep into it by much.

When Bioware finishes Star wars That mmo will be Good.
    Then Blizzard will release Diablo and that other game Titan.

Deleted
    Hmm... Not quite clear on your thinking. So you would rather have 9 lvl 85 characters that individualy are good at individual things instead of being able to have one or two characters that can when needed be able to change to fit a suitable position in a group?
    In principle, yes. (though I'd not go with 9 characters, 3 is enough for me to fill every role)

And its not a shift on the fly change. you are not fighting a warrior type and he hits a button and now is a stealth type then a mage once he gets away blasting you with spells.
    No, I suspect it will be something akin to the dual spec feture of wow, eg. must be out of combat etc.

And big Raids are really nothing like you are posting them. You enter a area that has a rift and a button pop's up and asks if you want to participate. Click it and you are immediatly added to all the people that are also there that are fighting that rift. No Queing. None of that I wanna join can I! And participation and loot is handled not by a " Master looter" that is a person and could be biased. When that Rift or situation is over there is another pop-up that gives you random loot based on your participation lvl, If you were there for every stage of the Rift (( how long you were fighting ) and what not.
    Notice please: I did not comment on the formalities and procedures of Rift Raiding, I merely remarked that 1) Huge raids are not a de facto positive thing and 2) Tank and spank is boring

But from the description you've given, it seems more and more clear to me that Rift Raiding could very quickly become zerg-festing, free-epics boredom, like wrath heroics.

Honestly its obvious from your post you haven't been involved in any play of the actual game but have just seen commercials.(...)Please before you post something. Get some info.
    Have you ever jumped in front of a train? How can you then know that it would be very bad for you? That's right, from observing. Sure, you might miss a few details such as the exact points of extreme pain, or the exact time of loss of consciousness, but you can get a pretty descent overall picture of what's going on simply by observing from the sideline

I commented on the overall picture as I see it, from trailers, blog posts and reviews. You choose to pick on specific details, which I hadn't even mentioned.

Deleted
    I have been playing the beta in Rift and played wow for 6 years.
    Tried out Warhammer, EVE and other new MMOs. All of them seemed so flawed or boring...except Rift.
    It seems the Rift developers have taken notes from Blizzard. Take all the good stuff from the other products on the market, and improve them.
    The possibilities within the choise of class are almost endless, making for some so far unseen freedom in playstyle and versatillity.
    And Rift is one of the first MMO's to actually offer the possibility of beeing a pure buff/debuff class. You can mix match different callings or focus solely on one. The choise is yours.
    While some might thing this will lead to a complete lack of balance, such does not seem to be the case. Surprisingly enough even though this is beta the different classes etc seem rather balanced.

For the leveling part of this game. Well personally I have never enjoyed leveling more. I love endgame in wow, but i have allways hated it, and even with the cataclysm changes it still ends up a horrific grind.
    Rift seems different. While the leveling experience is rather linear, it still constantly evolves. Your not in the same area for long times (3-8 quests max).
    And if you dont like question? If you just wanna be part of huge ingame raid/party events? Well Rift has that too. The public quest system of Warhammer has been implemented in Rift. Implemented and polished. Rift events are happening all the time, in fact the invasions seem somewhat intelligent. You might have mobs spawning on top of your questgivers and chasing you around the map until they finally slaughter you.
    MObs griefing is bad? No not at all, it adds difficulty and pressure to the leveling experience and makes for a experience that seems alive and vivid.
    When you come to a rift event you get the option to join public group, you then get grouped up with the others who joined the event, and based on how well you did in the event you get your share of the lootspoils, exp and so on.

Is Rift the wow killer? I dont believe so. WoWs playerbase is far to big, and Rift has a very different approach to the leveling and the whole feel of the world. The lore demands more reading up/investigation on the players part. And so far the dungeons and quests seem alot harder and intelligent then the ones in wow. This will ofc lead to the fact that this game will not be to everyones taste.
    My personal point of view? Well im leaving WOW for this....

I played the rift beta. I'm pretty sure that given 5-6 years, it could be half as good as wow. Right now it makes most of the mistakes WoW has corrected over the years. It's like it's making them all on purpose.

Oh, and it's very unstable.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    I Was in Beta 5 And 6.
    I was a level 20 Mage, I had all but the pvp Soul.
    (Here are some Pro's And Con's of the game)

The Pro's:
    1:An interesting new game mechanic, Random world Events, Rifts And invasions, And other non-rift related Events.
    2:Class combat and spec options = infinity.
    3:Fresh new Art style, The Tree's Rocks and plants look sharp, not blocks with painted sides, no 2 tree's are the same.

The Con's:
    1:Some UI Elements are taking a step back to the old wow "Not in a good way"
    First: the Pet Bar Button 3 is Stay, Wow now has "move to" And makes pet control fun.
    Second: The Bags Auction house and Armor preview windows need lots more work, They really suck.
    2:The engine used feels slapped together reused or old, The audio has no Quality options on the user side.
    And the video options go past Ultra by quite a bit in the options but barely change how it looks at all.
    3:Overwhelming at the start "Unfriendly to new mmo players" Within the first 2 minutes they replace your default armor with more lowbie loot
    Give you your first soul talent tree, and if your lucky you complete a few quests before a rift ruins your day.

Then if you live past this you have to deal with professions, Take Runecrafting "Enchanting" for one.
    Wow=Dust, Essence, Shard, Epic shard.
    Rift 1 of 3 kinds of dust Combine 5 to make that kind of Essence, Combine 3 to make First shard, Combine 5 to make Epic shard.
    Half the tooltips don't say you can combine when you can and need to.

And this is just the crap between 1-20.

When you get to the first town that sells goods and armor, you better wear leather because they don't sell anything else.

And Before you say, Graphics are better, Try this on for size.

Wow's stylized its supposed to look how it does thats the art direction.
    But The wow Water engine wins over rifts.

Rifts Water engine is between wow's old and new engines.
    But rift renders trees plants and Rocks better then wow.

If your going to Quit, pre-order the game and if your still liking it when your first month runs out then go for it
    But other then the beta I doubt that im going to keep into it by much.

When Bioware finishes Star wars That mmo will be Good.
    Then Blizzard will release Diablo and that other game Titan.
    Oeverwhelming? A rift cannot get opened in your area during the first 2 minutes, The first rift is introduced at the end of the starter zone, cons, you get new loot in the first few quests, oh like every MMO then?

Runecrafting, all mats can be combined to the next highest level, they can also be transmuted to similar level mats at a cost of 2+reagent for 1, the fact that you can upgrade your enchanting mats to the next level item rather than have to runebreak armor of that level is a massive positive over wow. I am Butcher/Outfitter/Runecrafter which meld together incredibly well for a rogue/mage or cleric caster, I can level my profs with one set of mats, leather plus any spare cloth I get while questing.

The different quest hubs do sell different armors, but this is beta, feed it back and I am sure they can move stuff.

I can't dispute your other statements as they are opinion and I respect that, and your right to dislike/like those things

---------- Post added 2011-02-08 at 01:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry View Post
    I played the rift beta. I'm pretty sure that given 5-6 years, it could be half as good as wow. Right now it makes most of the mistakes WoW has corrected over the years. It's like it's making them all on purpose.

Oh, and it's very unstable.
    That is amazing, I think almost the exact opposite, and the game has not been unstable for anyone I know so maybe your PC is the issue?

I have played WOW For Five years now and made quite a few friends. I have played the Rift beta's and I foresee a lot of people being pulled away from wow. Maybe not initialy but in time I see it doing quite well.

World of Warcraft has a lot of flaws. Arrogant and flat out rude developers as well as the inability to listen to its community base. It has adopted the attitude that your ' addicted now take this crap and Enjoy it".

The content in Cata honestly in my opinion offers very little substance. While playing Rift I noted a few things. I saw people that didn't do instances but just ran from Rift to Rift enjoying the devastation and play there. Lvling and such that way. this might not appeal to alot of WOW players that are use to Doing repetitive quest after quest. Honestly the more I think about it WOW has only like 10 different types of quest just rephrased. Kill this many of that. think of how many quest you have every day like that. Only thing that might change is the number and what you kill. Rift seemed to during the beta offer a few different way to ACTUALY progress your character via other means.

The ability to customize your character so much also if it works as it seems to will be great. It will allow more then the current wow set up where every class has only one viable spec to do what its suppose to do.

Speaking also from personal experiance the professions seem to have more substance and offer items that are unique in make and use. WOW has a VERY bad habit of not making their professions offer anything at its maxed state that you wont get out of a heroic Instance run. so the benefits of maxing these professions are very minimal. Though its cost to is substantial.

WOW also refuses kicking and screaming ot listen to its community and if Rift does that it will definitely move forward. No more saying to your subscribers " Working as Intended " as thousands complain about a issue with the game. then if its working as intended why two three weeks later it has to be "hotfixed" as you all of a sudden realize it was incorrectly doing this or that?

In summery. Rift has everything in my opinion to stagger the giant that is WOW. Will everyone start closing their accounts and leaving WOW. I personally don't see it happening anytime soon. But i do see Rift unlike Aion and a few other games of late going a lot farther towards being competative. Me? My preorder is in and i have told everyone in my guild to check the game out. Blizzard has alot of people upset with them currently and I think that will make it alot easier for people to just throw their hands up in flustration and check this game out.

---------- Post added 2011-02-08 at 12:03 PM ----------

Very informative and to the point. where is the One up Button!
    lol? forgot to change your log in?

not like we needed proof that a lot of these posts are coming from the few same people, thanks for making me laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    some major flaws with rifts. you can't really make them too tough or else some moron can run in and aggro them all and wipe the raids... so I can see that being faceroll. nothing like scrubs ruining things for other people.

so you have a nice raid boss from a rift your guild is killing then oh wait, baddiefoo comes running through the other side aggro'n a ton of mobs onto your heals, oh noes!! wipe. Was a cool concept but i just don't see it working out as they intended. At least WoW is smart enough to make it to where you can't ninja world bosses because of the heals per death they get.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Deleted
    Are we really in this mess again? The particular mess that appears everytime a new, hyped MMO is coming out? Haven't we heard the same stuff people have spoken here atleast six times before? How they swear this next MMO will be better than the last let down? Yes? Indeed, it's another one of them.

Look, if you seriously think a MMO that basically copypastes the years old MMO-scheme is going to beat any of the oldies that are doing strong right now isn't truly in their senses. AoC, WaR, Aion and Rift now haven't had any real innovations to the MMO-scene and thus inevitably failed. It's the same old exp & quests system everywhere.

You may shout that WoW is using that same scheme and copypasted the best things from MMOs. Yes, Blizzard does that, but Blizzard had that one big innovation that seperates 'em from the rest.

World of Warcraft was the first casual-friendly MMO. Ever. That combined with it's immersion and ageless graphics has netted Blizzard it's golden goose.

And no MMO without big, structure-shaking innovations is going to overthrow it.

10+ Year Old Account
    everything that isent wow isent worth playing... i wanna play wow...
    wanna be the races from wow the classes from wow the world from wow =) something that isent 1 off those 3 things isent worth playing

The funny thing is that the people defending Rift so ardently now will also be the ones, four or five or six months down the road, to be frothing at the mouth as they tear down Rift before those who enjoy it and quit the game in anger that it did not live up to its shiny new packaging. Then when you ask them: "If you do not enjoy it, why not just go away and do something you do enjoy?" they respond about educating people about the fail. People gotta know man, people gotta know.

I view games like Rift as a nice vacation. That new-game feeling is the best.

Deleted
    Damn, there is way too much hate between people who like Rift and those who don't. I personally play both (with mostly Rift during the beta days, obviously) and while I'm sure it's not a "WOW KILLER OMG" like people scream at every second MMORPG that doesn't SUCK, it's an enjoyable game. There are pros and there are cons and considering that Rift is still in beta, I'd have to say there's a lot of potential. To the people who think that Beta has even 50% of the finished product in it, I would suggest you checking the Patch Notes just for the last Beta to Beta, they're about 4 pages long. So, while Rift may not be as awesome as WoW in some aspects (yet?), it is fun in others and many people will go play Rift for that reason. Neither is definitively "better", just each is good in its own thing (ex: Rift = Lots of world events - Rifts opening, Tears appearing, Invasion events // WoW = More controlled PvP & PvE balance - less options so easier to balance them unlike Rift's hundreds of Soul combinations resulting in Fire Mages and Physical Ranged combos to totally dominate in current PvP and etc. etc.).

So, if you want to post a screenshot to show off something nice in the game - go ahead. But please atleast try to not hate and compare on every 2nd sentence.

Deleted
    Rift is good game, but not good enough. Biggest mistake Rift has are Rifts alone. It just gets boring over time. I mean every single rift has same scenario, adds, adds, boss, adds, boss in same Rift enviroment. Warhammer public quests were much better cause of variety and actual fun factor.

Another problem i see there are Graphics. Engine they are using is actually older then WoW engine, only little enhanced. Everything is shining, blurry. Overall it looks nice, but it sux in pvp and pve endgame.

Anyway, I think its gonna pay for itself and make some nice profit for devs. 50e/$ for game 60e/$ for collectors(and ive seen lots of people on turtle) 13e/$ per month. Im sure over 1 mil, maybe 2 mil people will buy the game and pay for 2-3 months. Thats pretty cool money with huge profit, cause i cant see this game development cost more then $50 mil. Game will die after 6 months and devs will abandon it after 1 - 1.5 year, cause theres no point to invest more time and money to game that have already made huge profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    Rift is good game, but not good enough. Biggest mistake Rift has are Rifts alone. It just gets boring over time. I mean every single rift has same scenario, adds, adds, boss, adds, boss in same Rift enviroment. Warhammer public quests were much better cause of variety and actual fun factor.

Another problem i see there are Graphics. Engine they are using is actually older then WoW engine, only little enhanced. Everything is shining, blurry. Overall it looks nice, but it sux in pvp and pve endgame.

Anyway, I think its gonna pay for itself and make some nice profit for devs. 50e/$ for game 60e/$ for collectors(and ive seen lots of people on turtle) 13e/$ per month. Im sure over 1 mil, maybe 2 mil people will buy the game and pay for 2-3 months. Thats pretty cool money with huge profit, cause i cant see this game development cost more then $50 mil. Game will die after 6 months and devs will abandon it after 1 - 1.5 year, cause theres no point to invest more time and money to game that have already made huge profit.
    1. The graphics engine regardless of age, simply squashes WoW. This cannot be contested.
    2. The Rifts in beta were increased in frequency. This will not happen in the retail game, as often as does in the Beta.
    3. The blurry text and nameplates (at a distance) are a bug they are working on fixing.
    4. The PvP is not balanced yet, because this is a beta.
    5. You have no opinion on endgame content because the highest level cap so far was 35, (in beta 6). Endgame will not happen until 50.
    6. There are already more than 1 million pre-orders.
    7. Your predictions for profit and development cost are based on your personal fabrication of facts. Trion has released no information regarding its 'corporate backing' nor the development costs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuckmouth View Post
    WoW fanboys.... give me something WoW has that Rift does not?

Please say lore because you know WoW threw lore out the window with Cataclysm.
    ... This is a clear piece of evidence that you haven't been reading up on the lore of WoW.

Deathwing is the former Neltharion the Earth-Warder. He was driven insane by, well i think it was the old gods, so now he has come back to lay his revenge upon the world of Azeroth. That was only a very, one-line short recap of what the lore is, to get it, read some books and some lore on WoWhead or such.

So, by these above facts, i recommend you to take out the finger from the inside of your nose, and begin reading up. They built the history up around Deathwing because of this lore, and continued to build on it. The end. Nothing thrown out, just a extend. There is a slight difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post

Well With Rifts, if the worst comes to the worst, and you don't need the planarite and the epic level appropriate BOE loot, you can always hang out in the city and troll trade/general like WoW players do.

The ancient gamebyro engine which supports PhysX, SLI and Crossfire as well as DX11 did pretty well in Fallout NV iirc, are there companies bashing down blizzards doors to use its engine? Honest question as I don't know, maybe they are? Out of those technologies I listed which 1 of the 4 does WoW support?

As nobody has seen PVE and PVP endgame yet (Bar alpha testers under NDA) I gotta call BS on that, however, the Port Scion PVP looks very interesting with its PVE objectives, might even get me PVP'ing properly again.

---------- Post added 2011-02-08 at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    ... This is a clear piece of evidence that you haven't been reading up on the lore of WoW.

Deathwing is the former Neltharion the Earth-Warder. He was driven insane by, well i think it was the old gods, so now he has come back to lay his revenge upon the world of Azeroth. That was only a very, one-line short recap of what the lore is, to get it, read some books and some lore on WoWhead or such.

So, by these above facts, i recommend you to take out the finger from the inside of your nose, and begin reading up. They built the history up around Deathwing because of this lore, and continued to build on it. The end. Nothing thrown out, just a extend. There is a slight difference.
    Yeah they were writing most of that cata lore about eh same time as Rift's lore was being written

Deleted
    ---------- Post added 2011-02-08 at 07:21 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Yeah they were writing most of that cata lore about eh same time as Rift's lore was being written

This statement would have been fine, if not for one fact.

Neltharion the Earth Warder have he's own debute in one of the first books ever written regarding WoW, because he is part of one of the dragon aspects at that particular time.
    Them building forward on that, compared to Rift's lore.. Well to me, it's story taken from WoW's lore, if the said dragon in Rift exists for this time being or will be existing.

But oh well, i've been reading, so basically that also gives you the right to call me a "bookworm". xD

Just thought Id pop this in here, Ive created a new youtube channel which will be covering a lot of different elements off Rift
    Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBzHxAvs2A

Would love some feedback on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashiok
    I love you guys. Like, seriously. If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting, and I appreciate you caring.
    Even if you're going kookoo-bananas.