Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't really tell anyone I play it, outside RL friends that play too, but it's not because I am embarrassed, it's because the people who usually want to talk about it generally aren't even level capped and are running SM :P

But yeah, generally it's not something I like to talk about a lot with friends who play anyway, we generally talk about cars or something more exciting, or even philosophy!

I'm not a high school kid I'm way past that stage. So definitely not. When you get older you realize it's not a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
    i have never heard of any1 going thru rehab or a divorce b/c their spouse paints too much, or is too involved in their workout, so as far as claiming wow is just a "hobby" is not a good cover up. Some people have a real hard time disconnecting the game from their real life. i do not admit that i play wow b/c of all the negative media about video games, specifically wow. dont ask dont tell imo. id be even more embarrassed to admit that i play wow if i was single and not athletic.
    Any addiction can cause a divorce, or require professional help to break. The only reason video games are standing out is because it's a new area of addiction combined with sensationalist reporting. It's really no different from someone who can't walk away from a slot machine.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Wow is fucking nerdy. I don't broadcast the fact that I play.

I'm not embarrassed that I play. I really don't give a flying fuck what people think of what I do with my spare time.

That said, I also don't talk about it, but that pretty much holds true for most of my personal activities. I'm not a social person by nature, and I really dislike talking about myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Stop looking for sense in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
    i have never heard of any1 going thru rehab or a divorce b/c their spouse paints too much, or is too involved in their workout, so as far as claiming wow is just a "hobby" is not a good cover up. Some people have a real hard time disconnecting the game from their real life. i do not admit that i play wow b/c of all the negative media about video games, specifically wow. dont ask dont tell imo. id be even more embarrassed to admit that i play wow if i was single and not athletic.
    People go through counseling for television addiction as well. It's exactly that, though, it's addicting. Luckily, most people have too busy a real life to get caught up in a full-on WoW addiction, but there still are plenty of people that do, and it's a problem. I also think the body shape and relationship status is a stigma of all games though, not just WoW. If you're fat with no girlfriend and you talk about socially acceptable games like call of duty, people will still see you as a fat gamer. Substituting WoW in for CoD in that situation wouldn't necessarily hurt the view you give people any more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were not in High School anymore the fact that people are embarrassed about what people think of them is odd, but I guess that is how America is nowadays. I myself am not embarrassed that I play WoW, i tend not to bring it up in conversation but when it does my reply is often "Nefarien is such a bitch fight"
    My name is Legion, for we are many

10+ Year Old Account
    6 years ago, yeah. But nowadays, it's no big deal.

If you're embarrassed about doing something you like, you obviously have psychological problems. If you're not secure with who you are, then you should seek help.

I dont think its anything to be embarrassed about. However I do think that playing the game too much is.

No. I tell people if they ask or something. I recently quit WoW anyway. But for the 5 years I played it It came up plenty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    "Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

There was a girl in school who was pagan and loved charmed and would go into these tangents about orbing all over the place like it was possible.
    This made me chose not to start speaking WOW to non wow players, EVER. ( cause you do sound insane talking about it to folks who don't know)
    I tell people I play the game, but man I don't have a loregasim if i can help it.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll tell people if they ask. It's not something I'll spontaneously bring up in conversation.

One of the last restaurants I cooked in, there were 2 waitresses who also played WoW. So on slow evenings, we would routinely nerd out at the Kitchen/Dining floor window. Even though I got a lot of flack for it from the other cooks, it's not a big deal.

I'm not ashamed of it at all. It takes much more brains than watching sports on the telly.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jho369 View Post
    1. If you were a multi-millionaire, you wouldn't be playing WoW
    2. My first rule of WoW is I do NOT talk about WoW
    ^this... but perhaps i would play... in my plane :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't mention I play it. If someone mentions it I won't jump into a conversation about WoW; that's just plain nerdy. If somebody asks me I'll tell them I play. But I won't tell them how many achievement points I have(piece of me dies whenever I look at it) or what my ranking is(Raiding progression/Arena rating). I'll tell them I just play WoW and PvP occasionally, if they really want to know more they can talk to me over WoW.

I'm a nerd and a gamer and damn fucking proud.

Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    Are you embarrassed to tell people you play an online role playing game? Is it worse that the game you play is WoW?
    Never.. I even go to work in random WoW shirts! I don't give a crap if people think less of me because of a computergame, that says more about them than me.

I used to not care and if people asked what I did in my free time I mentioned WoW among other activities and hobbies. Now even though I play a lot less, I don't bring it up unless I'm reasonably sure the other person plays. I've gotten way too much flack about it from people who don't even play, have never even seen it, and know nothing about it. My younger cousin started spreading it around in my family that it was an evil game that took over people's lives and I was going to ruin my life by playing it. I could live with my mom thinking it was dumb, but with crap from the rest of the extended family about it too, I NEVER mention it now unless I have to.

everyone i know knows i play wow, and i will pwn their ass if they go horde. Psh, stop being wimps and own up to what you love to do. it's the american way. BE A MAN. Or a woman (though half of you who claim to be women are probably men anyways) Gamers are main stream right now. 11 million people can't all be wrong.

Deleted
    I wont talk about wow but if sum 1 ask if i play wow i will say yea.