Poll: Paralysis or Shadowy Apirition?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb Paralysis or Shadowy Aparition?

Hello all shadow priest!
    I have PvP question:
    Which talent is more handy in PvP environment?
    Paralysis or Shadowy Aparition?
    Im using Paralysis because slowing demolishers and melee players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mind spike kills your dots and constant pressure, you have to Mindspike 3 times for a crit, and then you still have a good chance it will be dodged, parried or blocked.

Shadow Apps are good for keep people in combat, they hit for a decent amount and occur naturally.

I have both........

Deleted
    Paralysis is pretty useless. It is unreliable, gcd costly and you have just lost all your dots. You'll never find anyone who does arena using it.

While Shadowy Apparition can be useful since it causes the enemy to move instead of casting and it acts like broken pets, following around rogues if they vanished.

Also, apparitions can proc a lot from kiting melee so pretty much guaranteeing they will be hit - so bit of extra damage there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    Mind spike kills your dots and constant pressure, you have to Mindspike 3 times for a crit, and then you still have a good chance it will be dodged, parried or blocked.

Shadow Apps are good for keep people in combat, they hit for a decent amount and occur naturally.
    I agree. Im thinking of changing to Shadow apps. Gues its also better for arenas.

Emh... I have a different thinking..

I use both paralysis and shadowy apps. And it works fine in both bg and arena. Why not have paralysis?

Its good both for the nuke and keeping others from getting to ure healer if needed. I have 2/2 paralysis and 2/3 shadowy apps.

I simply love it. For me it works at least... But thats just probly me..

Btw, how can it be dodged etc? Ive never seen it happen with me as it is a spell..
    Last edited by Winternight; 2011-02-07 at 04:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winternight View Post
    Btw, how can it be dodged etc? Ive never seen it happen with me as it is a spell..
    The procced debuff for Paralysis is physical. That means its subject to melee hit chance and stats including expertise. It's a bit like elemental shaman's Earthquake proc except at least that one has multiple ticks if you keep standing in it (though that one may have been fixed by now).

So, yes, it can be dodged, parried and blocked. If you have ever used it regularly while questing, you would have eventually seen this.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-07 at 05:39 PM.

You could go either way really. I like both.

Mind Spike combined with Paralysis is good in certain situations and can apply a ton of pressure, if not more, to your target.

For example... a rogue partner beating on your target, while getting mind spiked, only to come out of a stun and go into a root, can be pretty devastating. In addition, if you actually have the time to set up an instant crit, it's quite nice for when you are about to be focused.

These days, in pvp, I've come to not rely so heavily on my dots. Sure they can be great, but only if they are left alone, and most of the time people can use defensives to get through them, heal themselves throught them, or just outright dispel them with next to no consequence, save for a diminishing return fear.

As for shadowy apparition... well they're nice when they work. One could argue that when you're being chased they are great, but you have to think more about the situation at hand. Priests are never "Chased" for that long, only long enough to get snared indefinitely or stunned until there is no tomorrow.

This entire discussion might change though when the patch hits. With the 4P Priest set bonus being changed to the godly "Removes snare effects" and Mind Blast dealing a shit ton more, priests might change the way they handle things.

PS: Has anyone else considered a spec with improved inner fire? Having your resilience, shadow form, AND your Inner Fire all help against spell damage could make you the perfect anti-caster.
    Last edited by Direshadow; 2011-02-07 at 05:33 PM.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post

Paralysis can be dodge, parried or even blocked? LOL WTF.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Paralysis can be dodge, parried or even blocked? LOL WTF.
    YES.

Paralysis

Or you know, actually use it yourself more than once or twice ...

I also don't think i've ever had my mind spike or paralysis be dodged or blocked before. Not yet anyways.

If it has, that's most likely a bug.... a big one.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have 1/2 para and 3/3 shadow apps.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    i have 1/2 para and 3/3 shadow apps.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary
    No improved SW:P?

What heresy is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    I also don't think i've ever had my mind spike or paralysis be dodged or blocked before. Not yet anyways.

If it has, that's most likely a bug.... a big one.
    It's not a bug, it's the game mechanics, "Working as intended". Paralysis is a Physical effect, and thus, subject to being parried/dodged/blocked. It gets parried/dodged/blocked at least 5 or 6 times when I go around Tol Barad Peninsula doing my 6 dailies.

Why blizzard isn't fixing this is beyond me...I hate getting a MB crit and seeing "PARRIED"...All I see is trollface.jpg and "Problem?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    No improved SW:P?

What heresy is this?
    6% is not that much really... I dont use it either. I even dont have twisted faith. The problem is, that ure dots is always dispelled or something... Rather go something else

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winternight View Post
    6% is not that much really... I dont use it either. I even dont have twisted faith. The problem is, that ure dots is always dispelled or something... Rather go something else
    ya, only reason i picked up twisted faith was cuz i use the spirit gear for my disc offspec.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

http://wowtal.com/#k=_5F5rt9x.aei.priest.-bgypB

Imo the optimal spec atm. on tuesday, i'll probably switch shadow apps to imp-MB for more burst.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    http://wowtal.com/#k=_5F5rt9x.aei.priest.-bgypB

Imo the optimal spec atm. on tuesday, i'll probably switch shadow apps to imp-MB for more burst.
    No masochism?
    I have it and still have to use dispersion to get mana some times when I'm not the one getting focused.

Quote Originally Posted by shiryo View Post
    No masochism?
    I have it and still have to use dispersion to get mana some times when I'm not the one getting focused.
    and sin and punishment vs paralysis is basically saying

playing with dots vs playing without...

and good luck spamming MS when ur kiting in arena

ya know, i've heard the choir preaching about mind spike's badness for a while now, but i gotta say, my personal experience hasn't backed that up.

people complain that mind spike removes dots. well yeah, on the target you've dotted, but if you mind spike something else it's not a problem is it? i can't claim to be tremendous at arena, but i've had at least some measure of success spike-spike-mbrooting healers while their buddies have my dots rolling on them; helps alleviate pillardancing. it's also lovely on battleground flagrunners or their healers to separate em.

& yeah, correct me if i'm wrong, but the parry aspect just relates to whether the root effect is applied, and is independent of the spelldamage. ...correct? though i suppose that means we have the extra difference of spellhit over meleehit, even if it really is intended to be parryable, which is unjust but hardly renders it useless

when we get crit levels that make a two spike blast a reliable root, i bet it'll see a lotta use.