Thread: Exorcism Bug

Exorcism Bug

Exorcism Bug (Moderate)

While casting Exorcism during a free GCD I sometimes proc Art of War.
    When the cast is complete. Art of War is consumed, but Mana costs, cast times and damage bonuses are not modified by Art of War.

Suggestion: Art of War transforms Exorcism into another spell to avoid consuming art of war when a basic exorcism is casted. After that spell is used or the WoO expires, the ability transforms back to Exorcism. Similiar to Moonfire/Sunfire.
    Processor (CPU) - Intel Corei7 Six Core Processor i7-6850K (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
    Memory (RAM) - 32GB HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3200MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card (Dual) - 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR
    Storage Drives - 1440GB HyperXSAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR|530MB/sW)
    8TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5900RPM, 64MB CACHE

are u trying to say that u actually cast exorism without AoW proc? because casting stops swing timer and its a major dps loss

Doesn't casting Exorcism without the Art of War buff interrupt your swing timer?

And why are you posting this here? Post it on the official forums.

Never hard cast exo unless the boss is unreachable, you have mana to spare, and you want to eek out that tiny bit of dps that doesn't really matter. Also, considering you can't auto-attack while casting exo... there is no way for this to actually happen.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really wondering how you're proccing Art of War while casting Exorcism since hard casting it stops your auto-attack, and casting Exorcism should consume any Art of War effect you currently have on you. Are you trying to say that Art of War is bugged and isn't doing anything?

Actually the swing timer isn't true. The swing timer stops after the swing is complete.

0.5Sec > Cast Exorcism (basic)
    1.0Sec > Melee Swing <- This is where Art of War Procs
    1.0Sec > Halt Swing Timer
    2.0Sec > Exorcism Basic hits
    2.0Sec > Swing timer resumes

This has to do with Client > Server Lag & Server processing Lag.

This is already been addressed to Blizzard and they are looking into the matter.

---------- Post added 2011-03-02 at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    I'm really wondering how you're proccing Art of War while casting Exorcism since hard casting it stops your auto-attack, and casting Exorcism should consume any Art of War effect you currently have on you. Are you trying to say that Art of War is bugged and isn't doing anything?
    Yeah the art of war is consumed and no damage boost, mana cost or instant cast (obv) is included in the cast, despite it consuming the Proc.
    Graphics Card (Dual) - 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR
    Storage Drives - 1440GB HyperXSAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR|530MB/sW)

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, that cycle is a huge DPS loss, so I have no idea why you'd ever hardcast Exorcism in melee range.

The swing timer stops after the swing is complete.
    Yeah, that's the point... your next swing happening faster is 100x more important than a low damage Exorcism. You should never stop your swing timer.

I mean, if it is a bug that requires technical changes to Exorcism and Art of War, I'd rather them not change it, in case they end up breaking something else because it isn't something people should be doing anyway.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-03-02 at 12:45 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Actually the dps loss is not cemented. Say your swing timer is about 3.1seconds next swing is in 1.6seconds You cast exorcism on that 1.6seconds, You will not lose dps. In short

If the cast time is shorter than the remaining time between swings. There is absolutely no dps loss.
    Last edited by Isolyphic; 2011-03-02 at 01:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's actually incorrect... I'm sitting here at a target dummy, meleeing, waiting 2.5 seconds, casting Exorcism, and then waiting at least 3 seconds after that for the swing to go off. I'm even using Quartz, so I can make sure I start casting at different times: 1 second, 0.5 seconds, etc - they all reset the swing timer.

Test it yourself by doing this:
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds.

You'll never actually swing at all.

Casting Exorcism remains a DPS loss. Normally, I wouldn't even mention this, but I really hope they don't mess with functioning abilities and talents to fix a rotation that is suboptimal.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-03-02 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolyphic View Post
    There is absolutely no dps loss.
    Halting your swing timer is a massive DPS loss, no matter how you look at it. You lose out on a possible AoW proc, the white damage from the hit, the Censure application/refresh, the possible bonus damage from SoTruth on a 5-stack refresh, bonus damage from Seals of Command, and possible trinket procs. I truly doubt a standard, hard-cast Exorcism has damage that can eclipse all of this.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    That's actually incorrect... I'm sitting here at a target dummy, meleeing, waiting 2.5 seconds, casting Exorcism, and then waiting at least 3 seconds after that for the swing to go off. I'm even using Quartz, so I can make sure I start casting at different times: 1 second, 0.5 seconds, etc - they all reset the swing timer.

Test it yourself by doing this:
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds
    Cast Exorcism
    Wait 1-2 seconds.

You'll never actually swing at all.

Casting Exorcism remains a DPS loss. Normally, I wouldn't even mention this, but I really hope they don't mess with functioning abilities and talents to fix a rotation that is suboptimal.
    Terrible arguement. Nobody uses a casted exorcism back to back. This is a poor method of testing.

Also another flaw, you will reset the swing timer after exorcism is casted. Not during the cast time however. Cast timer begins you still hit white cast timer ends swing timer reset. TIming it precisely with a swing timer clock would allow you to time this right.

And I'm testing this live in a heroic just now and my white is appearing during my casts. On one occasion the Bug occured for me

---------- Post added 2011-03-02 at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    Halting your swing timer is a massive DPS loss, no matter how you look at it. You lose out on a possible AoW proc, the white damage from the hit, the Censure application/refresh, the possible bonus damage from SoTruth on a 5-stack refresh, bonus damage from Seals of Command, and possible trinket procs. I truly doubt a standard, hard-cast Exorcism has damage that can eclipse all of this.
    There is no DPS loss when you do not lose any swing timer if the swing is exactly measured.

Timing this exactly is not for everyone. Some people are incapable.
    Last edited by Isolyphic; 2011-03-02 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Rewording

10+ Year Old Account
    Just tested it on a test dummy. No white hits during exorcism casts. And it is resetting the swing timer. If it appears that you are getting white hits during your cast, you are likely just seeing a lagging hit. Regardless, I'm going to agree with Simca and Hitsurugi here. Hard-casting exorcism is just plain bad.

Edit: Just tried it again and I can confirm my suspicion that you are just seeing lagging white hits. If you time the cast right, you can see the white hit while you are casting exorcism. However, this is just a lagging hit and not actually happening during the cast. Exorcism =/= steady shot

Terrible arguement. Nobody uses a casted exorcism back to back. This is a poor method of testing.

Also another flaw, you will reset the swing timer after exorcism is casted. Not during the cast time however. Cast timer begins you still hit white cast timer ends swing timer reset. TIming it precisely with a swing timer clock would allow you to time this right.

And I'm testing this live in a heroic just now and my white is appearing during my casts. On one occasion the Bug occured for me

---------- Post added 2011-03-02 at 01:49 PM ----------

There is no DPS loss when you do not lose any swing timer if the swing is exactly measured.

You're not getting it. The swing timer resets after every cast. So, if your attack speed is 3.0, you would have to wait 3 seconds before your next attack after hard-casting exorcism regardless of how perfect you think your cast was between attacks. Also, with a swing timer of 3.1 and a base cast time for exorcism of 1.5, you'd think fitting a whole cast of exorcism in between attacks would actually be rather easy (if it actually worked that way).

Have you even tried Simca's suggestion of hard-casting exorcisms ~2.5-3 seconds apart? You'll very quickly see that you are getting 0 melee hits. This is most easily done in a holy spec with denounce.
    Last edited by link064; 2011-03-02 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

If what you say is actually true (can't exactly test from the office), then you have the reflexes and the internet of a god. Timing this exact is nigh impossible when you take in to consideration the latency of any given user, as well as the awareness they require to not die in fire during a standard fight. You would have to be tunneling so very hard on this to get it right. Not to mention the fact that you would have to take in to account haste buffs and debuffs.

Again, I'm going to reiterate: Don't cast Exorcism without an Art of War proc.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    If what you say is actually true (can't exactly test from the office), then you have the reflexes and the internet of a god. Timing this exact is nigh impossible when you take in to consideration the latency of any given user, as well as the awareness they require to not die in fire during a standard fight. You would have to be tunneling so very hard on this to get it right. Not to mention the fact that you would have to take in to account haste buffs and debuffs.

Again, I'm going to reiterate: Don't cast Exorcism without an Art of War proc.
    And yet he claims he can do this. If what he says is true it would be a minor dps increase. Very minor. Post this on the blizz bug report forums.

This guy is obviously a bad. Just ignore the guy and lets move on to more pressing matters.
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    This guy is obviously a bad. Just ignore the guy and lets move on to more pressing matters.
    Oh yes, all those pressing matters we must attend to on the internet. Hurry, there is no time to waste! Someone is wrong on the mage forums! /facedesk

dont cast exorcism, problem solved
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced