Fire & Earth Elemental

Whenever I hear about people's rotation, I never see Fire Elemental mentioned anywhere. Does anyone have any tips on its usage beyond as a standard cooldown? Personally I love the Fire Elemental Totem since I get to use this bad boy twice in a typical raid fight, and he pumps out nice damage.

As for Earth Elemental, I tested on a training dummy and I see that it puts out about 700 DPS. Not a huge amount or anything, but is it not worth it so long as there's no other Earth totem required? Will it taunt either raid bosses or heroic bosses?

Thanks!

well if your enhancement the fire ele is not worth it because with searing totem going and getting 5 stacks then hitting for 50k lash lashes that will be WAY more damage then the fire ele (unless its an AOE part of the fight)

i think it would be a dps increase if your elemental but idk elemental so i can't speak on that

Rock elemental is not meant to be a dps increase in anyway what so ever...its mean to be like OH SHIT i need help or something of that sort...and yes it will taunt raid bosses (if they are tauntable)

Quote Originally Posted by hobson13 View Post
    well if your enhancement the fire ele is not worth it because with searing totem going and getting 5 stacks then hitting for 50k lash lashes that will be WAY more damage then the fire ele (unless its an AOE part of the fight)

i think it would be a dps increase if your elemental but idk elemental so i can't speak on that

Rock elemental is not meant to be a dps increase in anyway what so ever...its mean to be like OH SHIT i need help or something of that sort...and yes it will taunt raid bosses (if they are tauntable)
    I am Ele so I don't need Searing Totem.

Too bad on Earth Elemental, though. I was hoping it'd be like Army of the Dead, only usable when on the run and have nothing else to cast.

Yes its a dps increse over searing. Use it against add or during nuke. Overall you should use it once per boss.

Quote Originally Posted by goozen View Post
    Yes its a dps increse over searing. Use it against add or during nuke. Overall you should use it once per boss.
    Is it wrong to glyph for it and use it twice on a boss? Or are the other glyphs that essential?

Quote Originally Posted by dmiasek View Post
    Is it wrong to glyph for it and use it twice on a boss? Or are the other glyphs that essential?
    There are better glyphs for DPS, but I have heard of using the fire elemental glyph combined with the talent in resto that makes your totems last 40% longer (Totemic Focus) on certain fights. I've not played with it so don't know if it is + or - dps for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
    There are better glyphs for DPS, but I have heard of using the fire elemental glyph combined with the talent in resto that makes your totems last 40% longer (Totemic Focus) on certain fights. I've not played with it so don't know if it is + or - dps for me.
    See you would be able to spec into totemic focus but you would lose out on 2 in LS and increased runspeed. I can see how it might work especially in fights without alot of aoe. Does totemic focus increase fire ele duration though? cause that would means its up for what 2 mins 48 and only on a 5 min cd. Mine generally does about 5k dps single target in raids so thats a pretty big gain having it up often and for increased duration. Also it scales with gear. Guess it depends on fight how movement heavy it is as we already suck as moving as elemental.

But yeah in a normal fight popping fire ele at your highest point of spellpower will be a big dps increase over searing totem.
    I would like to hear more about fire ele glyphed with totemic focus (as a second spec for low movement fights or aoe heavy.)
    Last edited by Spongy; 2011-02-09 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
    But yeah in a normal fight popping fire ele at your highest point of spellpower will be a big dps increase over searing totem.
    I would like to hear more about fire ele glyphed with totemic focus (as a second spec for low movement fights or aoe heavy.)
    Fire Elemental takes a snapshot of your spellpower and uses that throughout its existence?

High movement fights would further increase the value of the extension on fire Ele's uptime.

You cant forget that it would also increase searing totems duration to 1:24 seconds meaning less GCDS wasted refreshing it.

Although the changes to fulmination would make lightning shield worth more point for point over the course of a fight and with the added movement speed increases and totem range the enhancement tree is more attractive.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yer, Fire Ele lasts around 2:50 for restos

So if you wan't ot try it, then try it

But remember that first tier in resto only offers survavibility talents. 15% more healing done to you, and 10% less damage while casting (cool bonuses, but nothing 'game changing').

Your healers will love you though

Fire elemental is an awesome dps boost if used correctly.. And that is when you have the most spell dmg buffs available from your abilities, trinkets etc. as it receives the your current spl power when the totem used and keeps it for the whole duration of the totem.

For example, i have DMC: volcano and the shrump of time, which are both spl power proccing trinkets, and it's most likely that they will stack in the begining of the fights.I'm combining these with orc racial and volcanic potion and than cast the fire elemental totem when all of these buffs are up. ( it'S hitting about 13,6k with all these buffs ) But as i said, it's all about timimg.I also use the glyph of fire elemental totem for long fights like nefarian, which helps a lot. I always carry some dust of appearances with me and change my glyphs accordingly.