Thread: Anti virus help

Anti virus help

I recently formated my pc but now im trying to download and instal microsoft secerity essentials. But every time i click download i get a mesage: your current security settings do not alow this file to be downloadwd. Im on the MSE website it self and im 100% sure i hav a virus or some crap called screen.grab.exe so im realy frightend atm.

Plz help and tell me what i can do to get it installed

Can try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ , might work better when Windows started in safe mode.

How do you know you have virus of that name?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

www.avast.com get the free anti virus.

hitman pro - http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...form%3DWindows

hitman pro is pretty neat, finds a lot of stuff other things never do, the downfall is that whatever it finds you need to do the research yourself to get rid of it, just a simple Google and I'm sure you'll find other people that have figured it out. this only finds really, rare and bad things for the most part. may not even need it.

http://www.superantispyware.com/ - free anti spyware, enough said

get all 3, update the stuff, run the stuff and see what u find. also, get a firewall if u don't have one already. if you don't know how to use them that's fine, just let it do it's work by itself, every now and then check it out and see what's doing what and you'll get used to stuff and understand what needs to be communicating and what doesn't. of course you know WoW.exe is good news. =P

don't panic if u freak out with the firewall and stuff stops working, easy fix is just to uninstall the firewall if things get messed up.

http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm-F...-10039884.html

yeah i haven't slept and it's early so all this is half assed.

dl em all, update em all and run them. gl!

15+ Year Old Account
    You recently formatted and managed to get a virus before you got and anti-virus?

How is antivirus not the first thing people download?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    You recently formatted and managed to get a virus before you got and anti-virus?

yeah gotta make sure all u touch is windows update then start getting yourself protected!

I triednthe following: malwarebyts, avast, avi, microsoft secerity essentionals and even nortan. I can download any of the, the same massege pops up the whole time: your securiry settings do not allow this file to down load.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post

Not very constructive post y'know...Shame on you mod ^^

But yeah, I too wonder how you managed to find out the name of the virus and how you managed to get it?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can spend a few bucks get Norton, best anti-virus I've ever had. You can download the 30 trail and after that if you don't like it just go with something else.

http://us.norton.com/downloads/trial...ware_us_estore
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that you are seeing " your security settings do not allow you to download this file" within Internet Explorer. Change the security settings of your Internet Explorer and you won't be running into this issue any longer.

Start Menu > Control Panel > Internet Options > Security tab (Set to default and try again, if default doesn't work set to low download your file and set it back to default). You don't have a virus you just have inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    So I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that you are seeing " your security settings do not allow you to download this file" within Internet Explorer. Change the security settings of your Internet Explorer and you won't be running into this issue any longer.
    Common practice for trojans and fake AV programs to block access to any legit AV products' website with browser hijacking. Has got nothing to do with IE settings.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I turned all those settings to lowest and even turned my fire wall off. Still getting the same msg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Not very constructive post y'know...Shame on you mod ^^

But yeah, I too wonder how you managed to find out the name of the virus and how you managed to get it?
    His post is fine.

Besides that, since it's all messed up now anyway, do this:

1. Reformat/install
    2. Install all updates using the Windows Update function, do this time after time until no more updates can be found.
    3. Use a USB-stick (that you are certain of not to have a virus on it) to install the drivers that are still needed.
    4. Use that same USB stick to install MSE (just save the install file downloaded with another computer)
    5. Update MSE.
    6. Yay! Good job

avg and avast are great free anti-virus programs.

CC cleaner is great too.

i found the problem.its a relativly old PC im use cos my other one is in the work shope.this old pc runs on XP and there is a security thing they intalled on it that makes u not be able to download stuff.i had to disable alot of internet security options but it works now.i got my anti virus programs and kicked the viruses asses

First and foremost, after you re-format and install Windows, DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. The very, very, very, very, very first thing you should EVER do is install your anti-virus. This means pulling some free AV program (such as avast) from the web before you reformat (or with another computer) and putting it on a flash drive or burning it to disc, and installing it on the fresh install. Then you may connect to the Internet, update the anti-virus and then proceed with Windows Update.

I've seen, time and time again, people who do a fresh install of Windows, and the first thing they do is connect to the Internet to update Windows, and BAM, easy target just became infected target, and had to do the whole thing over again.