Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Did you like or hate American Sniper & what it represents?

American Sniper is a Clint Eastwood movie based on a true story of Chris Kyle, the late SEAL sniper who is credited with the most kills in US military history. The movie has broken box office records with it's opening weekend of $105M. It was nominated for several Oscars.

Several prominent industry folks such as Michael Moore and Seth Rogan have blasted the movie and the US military, comparing SEALS to cowards and Nazis.

Article

Did you like the movie and do you agree with the sentiments from Moore and Rogan?

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie is about how what did he broke him as a human being inside.

It's told through the lens of his autobiography while shining light on the fact that he's pretty much hollow as anything but a tool for killing at this point. If you think the film was glorification of what he did, we watched two different films.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by rhackin View Post
    American Sniper is a Clint Eastwood movie based on a true story of Chris Kyle, the late SEAL sniper who is credited with the most kills in US military history. The movie has broken box office records with it's opening weekend of $105M. It was nominated for several Oscars.

Several prominent industry folks such as Michael Moore and Seth Rogan have blasted the movie and the US military, comparing SEALS to cowards and Nazis.

Article

Did you like the movie and do you agree with the sentiments from Moore and Rogan?
    I thought it was ok at best. And they should drop those people off in afghanistan. I want to hear thier findings afterwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Wasn't Chris Kyle pretty much a sociopath that killed even the civilians over in Iraq and during tornado or whatever in 'murica he shot looters? I was more annoyed that it was portrayed in a way that makes him look loving and kind.

I haven't seen the movie, but as for moore and rogan, they are the kind of people that will do what they can to discredit or demean anything that doesnt agree with their philosophy on how shit needs to be ran. The movie might be like what the 2nd poster said, or glorifying a military act, who knows. But I wouldnt take anything those 2 say about anything truthfully.

They are more full of hatred then most people and because they are famous they feel like they have more say then anyone else. Its like Jenny Mcarthy (I think its her) that convinces people vaccinations will cause autism. Just cause you are famous doesnt mean you are right.

Also, comparing anyone to Nazi's is like the fastest way to lose any argument.

There are extremely few people left alive today that lived and had to deal with what the nazi's did, we have to go from history books (written by the winners) and evidence left over. Yea, many were horrible, evil people, but not all nazi's were the SS kill all Jews, some were actually just trying to make their country better. You can't compare anything to that since you haven't experienced the horrors of what they did. If you lived in a concentration camp and survived, then compare someone to nazis then your argument actually can be sound advice.

I myself am pro military, I probably wont watch the film though, not really my cup of tea. I don't like re-enactments of stuff made for movies or tv. Ill watch like old war footage or something, but actual movies.. eh.. they always leave stuff out or do it in a way that has more drama then needed. I think the only time that real life was more unbelievable then the movie was with Audrey Murphy, when he told the producers to cut some of the stuff he really did out because audiences wouldnt believe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogen is a comedian. Wouldn't be too shocked if what he tweeted was a joke and not exactly criticism.

And Moore saying "X was killed by Y" is like saying I hate peas because my Uncle choked to death on one. He likes controversies.

EDIT: To clarify: I haven't watched the movie, I don't know anything about Chris Kyle and I'm anti-war and -military which is why I'm will not comment on the movie itself or what it portrays. I'm just saying that those 2 aren't really the 2 to trust.
    Last edited by Feali; 2015-01-19 at 06:47 PM.

when you're goal is to kill the enemy, doing it from far away is preferrable from in his face. I don't think a sniper is any more cowardly than any other method of combat.

Article

Those prominent industry folks don't live in reality. They think the world is full of fluffy pink unicorns and flowers. Chris Kyle is more American and heroic than any of these cowards in Hollywood could even dream of becoming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    when you're goal is to kill the enemy, doing it from far away is preferrable from in his face. I don't think a sniper is any more cowardly than any other method of combat.
    Right? Why aren't they calling Obama a coward for using drone strikes? If sniping is cowardly than I guess basically every nation on earth is a big ol coward.

To much 'USA! USA! USA! USA!'

Quote Originally Posted by Agnar View Post
    Those prominent industry folks don't live in reality. They think the world is full of fluffy pink unicorns and flowers. Chris Kyle is more American and heroic than any of these cowards in Hollywood could even dream of becoming.

- - - Updated - - -

Right? Why aren't they calling Obama a coward for using drone strikes? If sniping is cowardly than I guess basically every nation on earth is a big ol coward.
    But Obama hasn't had a movie made about him which doesn't really paint a balanced picture. If they'd made the film with a bit more of a balanced point of view I think it would have been a bit more palatable. As a war movie it was fine, I just found the whole patriotic ending a bit much. Surprised at Eastwood's approach .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nami69 View Post
    Wasn't Chris Kyle pretty much a sociopath that killed even the civilians over in Iraq and during tornado or whatever in 'murica he shot looters? I was more annoyed that it was portrayed in a way that makes him look loving and kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnar View Post
    Your sentiments are polar extremes, but you both kind of missed the point.

Chris Kyle was an extremely flawed person, yes, but doesn't mean he was a bad person. He was also not inherently good because he did those things for his country.

The whole point of the film was showing what he did, and what it does to a human being to do those things to other people. Whoever Chris Kyle was when he went to Iraq, that's not who he was when he came back. You don't have to be "Good or Bad". You can be both at once, and that sums Kyle up pretty well.

I don't see how you could have watched that movie and gotten anything else from it.
    Or should I?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well Your source says it all for this thread, both Moore (a wacko and a ultra-lib nut head that still live in the beginning of this century) and Rogan (someone that is nothing more than an average celeb at best). War is not fun and game and it very serious business, neither of which these two could even come close to being half men that people like Kyle and many that came before him and will come after him. These two have to gull to slam on this movie, they literal hate America, but are will to take all it as to give to them without giving anything back in return. It very easy to slam on something from the cheap seats, because you do not have to defend anything even your words, if you so chose not too.

People like these two are dime a dozen, its the people that put their lives on the line each and every day that always looked up too. Kyle was one of those people that strive to be the best at his chosen craft, it just happened to be killing bad guys from 1000 yards or better. Many people strive to be to best in their worlds every day and they rarely get the thanks they should receive. I personally would not would want to be Mr. Kyle for the simple reason that being good at what he was good at come at a cost to both your sanity and personal belief as a human being. They other thing here is being as good as he was, also come with having a target on you back as well, their is always going to be someone that will be gunning for people like him because the took out a family member, friend, or associate.

Unless someone has walked a mile in someone else's shoes they have no idea what years of having to be isolated from friends, family, bothers in arms, and command to do to a person inside. Being a sniper is a very only profession, you depend on me, myself, and I to get through each and every kill. Hours and hours, days and days, months and months of patiently waiting to get that perfect opportunity to take out your target and then move on to the next like a machine. You have to really get outside of yourself to do this type of work, it not a glorious as playing Halo or Battlefield, people actually die in this stuff, that is what war is.

These people have a job to do and they rarely question what is being asked of them to do. They are give a mission to carry out and don't have time or the luxury of sitting in a chair thousand miles whining from the cheap seats. Hollywood glorifies death on a daily basis, but they can't stomach the reality of it. It not all playing dress up and games in the real world that most people live every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Your sentiments are polar extremes, but you both kind of missed the point.

Chris Kyle was an extremely flawed person, yes, but doesn't mean he was a bad person. He was also not inherently good because he did those things for his country.

The whole point of the film was showing what he did, and what it does to a human being to do those things to other people. Whoever Chris Kyle was when he went to Iraq, that's not who he was when he came back. You don't have to be "Good or Bad". You can be both at once, and that sums Kyle up pretty well.

I don't see how you could have watched that movie and gotten anything else from it.
    You hit it on the head, it shows the internal conflict many soldiers go through in war, I mean having to make decisions when shooting a child/mother etc. in order to protect your fellow soldiers is one hell of a choice to be made and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in his shoe's. Essentially it came down to him doing what he felt was right to protect his fellow soldier's and in the end it destroyed him for a long time but even after he continues to help soldiers who are recovering from the war. He deserves respect for what he had to do and most wouldn't have been able to fill his shoe's and make those decisions.

I also fucking hate Rogan and Moore, the cowards are themselves as I'd love to see them get their hands dirty and do something fucking useful.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Article

When ever Seth Rogan tries to speak all that comes out is shit. (this includes his movie roles)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    You hit it on the head, it shows the internal conflict many soldiers go through in war, I mean having to make decisions when shooting a child/mother etc. in order to protect your fellow soldiers is one hell of a choice to be made and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in his shoe's. Essentially it came down to him doing what he felt was right to protect his fellow soldier's and in the end it destroyed him for a long time but even after he continues to help soldiers who are recovering from the war. He deserves respect for what he had to do and most wouldn't have been able to fill his shoe's and make those decisions.

I also fucking hate Rogan and Moore, the cowards are themselves as I'd love to see them get their hands dirty and do something fucking useful.
    See, I don't hate Rogan and Moore. What Moore and Rogan said is exactly what Kyle was fighting for, and that is for America to be able to stay America.

Do I think it's kind of shitty of them? Eh, a bit (Moore moreso than Rogan), but they are well within their rights to do that. Smearing those who disagree with you viciously and wishing them ill is the antithesis of what Free Speech means.

It's a good thing to think about.
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    See, I don't hate Rogan and Moore. What Moore and Rogan said is exactly what Kyle was fighting for, and that is for America to be able to stay America.

Do I think it's kind of shitty of them? Eh, a bit (Moore moreso than Rogan), but they are well within their rights to do that. Smearing those who disagree with you viciously and wishing them ill is the antithesis of what Free Speech means.

It's a good thing to think about.
    Looking at it that way you make a good point, everyone has their own opinion.

I honestly thought Michael Moore had died.

Just a friendly reminder, even though this is Cinema/TV Shows/Music/Books, the same rules which can be found in GenOT apply here. Be civil, and don't nation bash, or bash people's politics. Discussions of politics aren't really relevant here, except inasmuch as they relate to things found *in the movie* American Sniper.

Deleted
    I found the film - as an eu citizen - very good and apart from the end (a bit to much glorification there but I guess thats how america is) Im 100% with Xisa that this film is about what the war does to a person and not to glorify a sniper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen it, but i think it's extremly funny how the guy died. Talk about poetic justice.