Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Chimaeron 10M normal

Cheers,

I'm the raid leader of a small guild and we are going Chimaeron this week and it seems quite a challenging boss.
    Can you guys give me any pointers from personal experiences? On the easiest way to do this?

I've watched the videos and seen a few different tactics. But which ones you think would work best? 1tank or 2? a dps MT?
    Which tanking classes would work best? pala? druid? dk? warr?
    What composition of healers would you recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild did a 10 man with a Fury, in Berserker Stance, doing most of the tanking.

Setup:

Fury Warrior Main Tank
    Protection Warrior off tank

That made 6 DPS and 3 Healers.

fury tanked the boss in zerker stance, getting tricks from rogues and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings.

Prot would taunt a second after the boss got the double attack buff and would eat the double attack, healers would make sure that right before he taunted he was topped off. As soon as the double attack happened, Prot would stop all attacks so that Fury regained aggro (tricks are helpful here). As for the stacking mortal strike debuff we were able to heal through it, it really only becomes a challenge at the group up stage, but the healers didn't have too much trouble healing the Fury back up to full. Specific for healers, Priest focused on tanks, Pallies focused on the groups.

Phase 2 was handled the same way as 25man, focus on dps and keep him running around rather than hitting folks.

This made for a much shorter fight, if I recall correctly we only had 3 group up phases during Phase 1.

--
    Also, Finkle IS Einhorn! Einhorn is Finkle! FINKLE IS A MAN! (10 points to whom ever gets the movie!)
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-02-15 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Also, Finkle IS Einhorn! Einhorn is Finkle! FINKLE IS A MAN! (10 points to whom ever gets the movie!)
    Amazing movie.

OT: When we did it in 10 we used Warrior and Paladin tanks. Holy Priest, Resto Shaman, Resto Druid healers.
    The thing to remember is to assign a group to your healers so they aren't wasting heals on the same people. If you use a Druid, stick 'em on the tank. That is the most efficient spot for 'em.

Heal like crazy during Feud. Also, make sure you heal like crazy right after the last Massacre before P2.

During P2, people with immunities should use them when they get aggro to drop it. Ice Block, Deterrence/Feign Death, Evasion/Vanish. Anything that prolongs the phase and gets the boss off you so you can DPS more.

You just as well start having the dps tank it. We used the 2 tank method which is fine but you have to do 2 tanks and a dps tank in heroic so you just as well start practicing now with getting all that straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Amazing movie.

OT: When we did it in 10 we used Warrior and Paladin tanks. Holy Priest, Resto Shaman, Resto Druid healers.
    The thing to remember is to assign a group to your healers so they aren't wasting heals on the same people. If you use a Druid, stick 'em on the tank. That is the most efficient spot for 'em.

Heal like crazy during Feud. Also, make sure you heal like crazy right after the last Massacre before P2.

During P2, people with immunities should use them when they get aggro to drop it. Ice Block, Deterrence/Feign Death, Evasion/Vanish. Anything that prolongs the phase and gets the boss off you so you can DPS more.
    Can't emphasize this enough. My group was having issues with me (holy priest) and a shaman on raid heals with a paly tank healing and we couldn't figure out why. Then we realized we were overhealing so much, which is hard to pick up because it won't show on the healing meters and is something you just have to notice when you're doing the encounter. We assigned each other a group and with the paly on the tanks that was only 4 people for each of us which was incredibly easier. If one group happened to not need to be topped off then we'd help each other, otherwise we stuck to that the whole time and we downed it in two attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    My guild did a 10 man with a Fury, in Berserker Stance, doing most of the tanking.

Setup:

Fury Warrior Main Tank
    Protection Warrior off tank

That made 6 DPS and 3 Healers.

fury tanked the boss in zerker stance, getting tricks from rogues and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings.

Prot would taunt a second after the boss got the double attack buff and would eat the double attack, healers would make sure that right before he taunted he was topped off. As soon as the double attack happened, Prot would stop all attacks so that Fury regained aggro (tricks are helpful here). As for the stacking mortal strike debuff we were able to heal through it, it really only becomes a challenge at the group up stage, but the healers didn't have too much trouble healing the Fury back up to full. Specific for healers, Priest focused on tanks, Pallies focused on the groups.

Phase 2 was handled the same way as 25man, focus on dps and keep him running around rather than hitting folks.

This made for a much shorter fight, if I recall correctly we only had 3 group up phases during Phase 1.

--
    Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.

This fight was very easy for us.

Our comp:
    2 Pally tanks,

Rogue
    DK
    Hunter
    Mage
    Warlock

Priest(Holy) - Raid Heals
    Paladin - Raid Heals
    Druid - Tank Heals

The fight is more about healer control then anything else. You have to be aware of when you have the bot's buff and when you don't. Also assigned healing groupd to heal was a big help. As someone else said you end up over healing if you don't. I made everyone set a HP threshold on their raid frames to 10% so they are bright red. Once they are no longer red they are safe. 10% is often a little more then enough but its one of my heals and maybe a talented renew. I don't mind using renew even though its technically over healing however if they get hit soon after its another tick of healing.

We would group up for heals when we didn't have the bot and stay spread out when we did. Of course he has an ability he uses when you have the bot's buff you have to spread out for. Stacking also helps adsorb the damage in that phase too.

Just before we got him to the burn phase our pally tank LoH's and we make sure they were topped off. I've used my Guardian Spirit to save a tank. You see that in the video I have linked below.

Simple spread out, stack, spread out, stack, spread out, stack, spread out, everyone nuke.

Atramedes gave us more trouble.

Our first Chimaeron 10 kill video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYaqRA61AQ
    Last edited by tuesdaes_mad; 2011-02-15 at 06:21 PM.

We had a normal setup. 1 Blood DK main tank, 1 feral bear offtank to take double attacks, Me, a resto sham, resto druid, holy paladin. I healed slime in group 1, druid healed slime in group 2, holy pally was on tanks. We had the resto switch between tree form and tranq for feuds, and had the bear help with tranq as well. I hadn't even considered having a dps MT it, which would probably be a good idea, since he just has to be above 10k, like everyone else. Once we figured it out, it was a pretty easy fight, if you're a group healer, like I was, your priority should go like this.

If 2 in your group are sub 10k, use your fast expensive heal to heal them up (In my case, riptide and Healing Surge)
    Else If 1 in your group is sub 10k, use your efficient heal to heal them up (In my case, riptide and healing wave)
    Else If 2 in the other group are sub 10k, meaning none in your group are sub 10k (if you're doing it right), help the other healer to heal them up.
    Else heal the double attack tank up.

It was a fun fight, although it took me a while to settle into healing it effectively. Good luck to ya!

If you're only in a small guild and you don't like swapping raiders in/out for encounters just go with 2 tanks. Have the MT eat all the normal attacks (including stacking Break to 4, dont worry about the healing debuff), have the OT taunt a sec after Chimaeron gets the Double Attack buff, and then the MT taunt back right after it.

If Chimaeron gets Double Attack but then starts to cast Massacre get the MT to taunt off the OT (massacre removes the DA).

As you get into P2 get your OT to run to a far corner of the room, when your MT dies this buys you a few seconds where the boss has to move over to the OT. As everyone else said, use CDs such as evasion etc etc to keep the fight going as you burn him down.

Note: You have to manually activate the Finkle Bot, do this by talking to him before you pull

Deleted
    To echo what has been said, it's very much a healer check.

From a tank perspective, crazy easy .. Two tanks, one of which is healed to full at all time and taunts when Chimmy gets the "Double Attack" buff. The other tank taunts him back directly afterwards. High avoidance tanks for the Double Attack are handy for obvious reasons.

Positioning is important. Spread everyone out to avoid chaining Caustic Slime for the bulk of the fight. Saves on the healing.

The other tank, and the rest of the raid, just need more than 10,000 health at all time except during Feud. Less and they die. Feud is the hard part.

In Feud, we had everyone (literally) stack up on top of the main tank and AoE healed like crazy. It's important not to waste cooldowns and stuff during the early part of Feud, the damage doesn't come 'til 15 seconds into the 30 second cast. Just get everyone up to full and stacked up by then and blow cooldowns/AoE heals to keep everyone up, then get everyone spread out again as soon as the feud ends.

We have a rotation that changes based on our class balance; for example in the first feud the Resto druid will use Tranquility. During the second, we'll use personal cooldowns such as Divine Shield/Bark Skin/whatever each class has to mitigate some damage and during the 3rd one, we'll use Healthstones and whatever other AoE healing cooldowns we have such as a ferals Tranq. He's usually dead well before a 4th.

Oh, and remember to pop DPS cooldowns when he hits 20% and spread people out to maximise their survivability when he applies his 99% healing debuff. Healer should be DPSing here too but people will die, it's just one of those mechanics.

There's an addon that might be useful for healers, it shows everyone in the raid with less than 10,000 hp. Good for learning the fight.

Deleted
    Easiest of fights really.
    Have your dps drop offensive cooldowns in the very beginning.(They should still be ready for last phase)
    At approximately 22-23% the MT(Myself), dragged him up into the corner next to the cage, LoH'ed myself and tanked as much as i could, I would then BoP myself, making him go for our OT (Since he had gone into the opposite corner)
    Had our holydin LoH our OT(warrior), who then went up into the opposite corner.
    If your tanks knows how to taunt, your healers how to heal people just above 10.000 and dps who knows how to stack up properly during Feud u will manage this with elegance.

And of course, >20%, healers spamming offensive spells.
    Also we had our 3rd on omen(The one dps who is not MT nor OT) to run away, then BoP the OT(After MD died) so we only had 3 raid member deaths in total.
    Next week we will hopefully do the achievement
    Last edited by mmoc7102e4bf6a; 2011-02-15 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a pretty simple fight mechanics wise, the only hard part is for the healers and making sure everybody's at least over 10k health and making sure that you're at least 6 yards away.

2 tanks (1 Prot Pally / 1 Blood DK)
    3 Healers ( 2 Holy Paladins *including myself, tank healer, other pally was raid heals* and 1 holy priest
    5 DPS ( Ele Shaman, 2 Fury Warriors, Boomkin, Fire mage)

Not sure if this was a part of any videos for Tankspot or whatnot, but our pally healers kept righteous fury up the whole fight so when we got to phase 2, once tanks went down, pally healers went down since healing is pretty useless up to then. Popped Bloodlust right at 23% (I believe it was this or very close to, right before phase 2 started) Popped offensive CDs, and started wailing on him.

With a few good heals, and a competent raiding group, this shouldn't be a hard encounter at all. And if you're lucky, like we were, you can get the achievement (2 or less people killed during phase 2). Good luck!

There was an (undocumented?) change to how Chimaeron selects his targets with slime - now, he ignores targets in a tank spec (prot, blood, or a feral druid in Bear form). We were working on Heroic Chimaeron and were having our ret Paladin that was taking the boss die pretty often. We finally realized that he was getting hit with goo (which shouldn't happen to a tank.) We now only use proper tanks for Chimaeron and it isn't an issue. A tank could wear dps gear to squeeze out some extra damage, but he definitely needs to be in the proper spec.

He would also start phase 2 somewhere around 22% previously, however he now goes into p2 at exactly 20%.

Make sure all your healers have the debuff "Low Health" added to their Grid/Healbot/whatever so that as soon as the debuff falls off, they know to leave the person alone. DBM now marks and removes marks depending on health, but there is a good long delay and could result in healing or mana lost. They should also remember (unless they're disc) that the end of the fight for them is at 20% so to use their mana accordingly.

The idea to use RF so holy paladins die first in p2 is fantastic. When mages get targeted, they need to use their mirrors before the boss gets to them (but not immediately so he's kited a bit). Same with any other aggro drop - Invis, Vanish, FD, etc. If you're above 10k (on normal at least) then you could even let him hit you once because his swing timer is so long and the Bile-o-tron will save them from one hit. If you're next on Omen, run!

Quote Originally Posted by FeralDruid View Post
    There's an addon that might be useful for healers, it shows everyone in the raid with less than 10,000 hp. Good for learning the fight.
    Theres that addon, or you can teach your healers to keep everybody at 10%.

If you have a holy paladin, thats -1 you have to heal.
    With beaconing the Break tank, thats -1 you have to heal (provided it's a DK or Paladin), so thats -2 you have to heal during the main phases.

Deleted
    Thanks all for your support!!

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phosey View Post
    Theres that addon, or you can teach your healers to keep everybody at 10%.

If you have a holy paladin, thats -1 you have to heal.
    With beaconing the Break tank, thats -1 you have to heal (provided it's a DK or Paladin), so thats -2 you have to heal during the main phases.
    Why paladin/DK?

Our guild did this with 1 tank. was easy enough with 1 extra dps for the last phase. Just heal through the double attacks and tell the tank to pop cooldowns for double attacks when off CD

Deleted
    best advise i can give:

raid setup, aint all that importent really. what is really importent is rotating your defensive CDs. for my raid we like to rotate between the paladin 20% less dmg, powerword:barrier, tranqullity (both from a feral and a resto) and that major priest aoe. just make sure you got SOMETHING for every feud. if you dont have one of these you are pretty much screwed.

also, go for two tanks. have 1 of them tank him the etire time, but when he dobble attacks have the other switch other. have the MT just kept above 10k health so he wont die and just let him det 4 stacks of the debuff. i dont matter since he cant die anyway aslong as he is above 10k, and healing 10k even with healing reduction is easy enough. after all the boss only hits once per 5second

however, SPAMheal the offtank! atleast 70-80k health just in case really. he needs to be able to take 1 attack and still be above 10k health or he is dead.

all the advises i got. GL!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nctank View Post
    Thanks all for your support!!

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 12:22 PM ----------

Why paladin/DK?
    Presumably as Pala/DK can get themselves above 10k health without support by using their non-cooldown self heals.
    Last edited by mmoc6031c9b2d0; 2011-02-16 at 12:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FeralDruid View Post
    Presumably as Pala/DK can get themselves above 10k health without support by using their non-cooldown self heals.[COLOR="red"]
    Death knights can faceroll this by just timing death strikes well.

Deleted
    Blood DK's make excellent DA tanks for this fight. After each DA a death strike will put an enourmous shield on them, whilst quite often the shield goes to waste, if a Massacre occurs soon after a DA the shield eats the entire massacre and the DK stays at full HP.

Unfortunately the same doesn't apply for the main tank, since the break debuff reduces all self healing.