Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] What fantasy novel heroes have the coolest weapon, armor, items/trinket?

I only mostly know Salvatore so i'd have to go with Jarlaxle and Drizzt

10+ Year Old Account
    oooh nice thread
    Oookay where to begin...

Orb of Aldur, from the Belgariad. it amplifies the power of the mage using it like....a hojillion percent given that Belgarion was already fairly powerful.... aww yeah

The Sword of Truth, from the Sword of Truth . I like that after you kill someone with it, you're forced to see all that was good in the person you killed, and the only way to avoid that is to be fucking RAGING when you kill them :P

The Big Irons' The Dark Tower. the guns of Roland of Gilead, supposedly made from metal melted from from shard of Excalibur, they have no powers as such, they're just freakin hand cannons, and in the hands of a true Gunslinger they're a force to be reckoned with.

Karsa' Flint Sword, Malazan book of the fallen. take an unbeatable warrior, immune to almost any magic. Now give him a frakkin huge, jagged rock sword that will always remain sharp, and is impossible to snap.... yeah we're all fucked.

I could go on, but I'll leave some for others to say :P
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    the sword of truth... god. Terry Goodkind is probably the worst author I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Well, if R A Salvatore didn't exist

My answer is Terminus Est, the sword Severian uses in The Book of the New Sun. Translated, in the book, as "this is the place of parting" or "this is the line of division," it's an executioner's sword (that is, square tip, cannot be used for thrusting) and has a channel inside filled with mercury, which gives it greater weight than normal.

It's also been referenced a few times throughout sci fi and fantasy like in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Warhammer 40k but that's what happens when a book is one of the most acclaimed and lauded books ever written. Seriously, The Book of the New Sun is as famous as Dune among sci fi / fantasy circles but no one that doesn't read the genres a lot knows about it. Kind of weird. Go read it though.

I'm gonna have to say Twinkle and Icingdeath.

For those who don't know, those are the two scimitars that Drizzt Do'Urden uses.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing special about anything R A Salvatore's poorly developed grade school mind has thought up.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    There's nothing special about anything R A Salvatore's poorly developed grade school mind has thought up.
    I'd say that's your opinion.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I love fantasy books and to see someone talking about the bottom of the barrel, worst of the worst when there's so much awesome out there... it just rankles. I mean, Terry Goodkind plagiarized The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand, one of the most vile people to ever write a book, and Goodkind likes her grade school level "philosophy" so much that he blatantly copies the entire plot of her book, just in some retarded kindergarten fantasy about some evil sex-tator that pierces the genitals of his love slaves... wtf. And people like this? It boggles my mind. Where's the people talking about amazing books like Joe Abercrombie's recent The First Law trilogy? That shit was absolutely great. But nooo... people still talk about that ridiculous Drizzt crap that didn't even read like it had a storyline. Ugh. So depressing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I must say clouds sword or the gunblade.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Would the dragons from Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series count?

If so I'd also like to add Mnementh to the list.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Novel Brisingr, Eragon has a necklace that prevents anyone from scrying him, also his sword, named Brisingr, cannot be broken or dull, and can counter any magic wards/shields. Pretty cool imo
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Harry Dresden and his Blasting Rod!

Sorry I love fantasy books and to see someone talking about the bottom of the barrel, worst of the worst when there's so much awesome out there... it just rankles. I mean, Terry Goodkind plagiarized The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand, one of the most vile people to ever write a book, and Goodkind likes her grade school level "philosophy" so much that he blatantly copies the entire plot of her book, just in some retarded kindergarten fantasy about some evil sex-tator that pierces the genitals of his love slaves... wtf. And people like this? It boggles my mind. Where's the people talking about amazing books like Joe Abercrombie's recent The First Law trilogy? That shit was absolutely great. But nooo... people still talk about that ridiculous Drizzt crap that didn't even read like it had a storyline. Ugh. So depressing.
    People like what they like... if you don't like other peoples choice in books you have bigger issues

My pick is def Jarlaxle

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reo View Post
    People like what they like... if you don't like other peoples choice in books you have bigger issues

My pick is def Jarlaxle
    Comments like this really show that you don't know what you're talking about. It is very easy to point out objective, not subjective, flaws in novels. For instance, if your main character is a superhero Mary Sue that has no character flaws, fights token enemies that have no realistic motivation, and engages in bland combat over and over simply to appeal to testosterone-ridden juvenile males while forsaking things like plot and character development, your book is shit. Period. And that's everything R A Salvatore writes.

If you have a problem with people stating their opinions then you have bigger issues than just bad taste.

And I have a HUGE problem with people that know nothing about something talking like they know something about it when they know absolutely nothing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why people like Drizzt so much, personally found him quite boring and fuller of cliches than the average fantasy hero. But, like someone else above said, personal opinion only. Something must be right about him since many DO like him.

OT: Illidan's warglaives!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why has no one mentioned Ron Weasley's Deluminator yet?

Idc that there are many better books out there than the Harry Potter-series, but who would NOT love having a widget that turns off all light in the vicinity?
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2011-02-22 at 04:31 AM.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

But of course the Stormbringer and Mournblade twins in Michael Moorcock's Elric series. Two swords with the ability to "drink" the life force of the victim and feed it to their master. Also when wielded together one can do pretty badass things with them. What's not to like? :P
    Very good series, recomended to anyone who likes fantasy :>

Druss the Legend and his giant fucking ax Snaga.

15+ Year Old Account
    And I have a HUGE problem with people that know nothing about something talking like they know something about it when they know absolutely nothing.
    Please keep this clean and free of insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn mac cool View Post
    Druss the Legend and his giant fucking ax Snaga.
    ..... You beat me by seconds. Waylanders crossbow is also badass.

the one ring of course