Will this run WOW on max settings?

Hey guys, had to make an account on here to ask for some help on a computer. I put a link at the bottom to a computer that i have found that is below my price range but meets my needs. I was wondering if it would run WoW on max settings (minus like shade detail or any tedious effect that isn't really noticeable). I've been raiding in 25mans for a year and a half on an HP laptop and i'm getting tired of running at 6 fps (especially healing). If i were to buy this i would only use it for wow, SC, and maybe Black ops if i buy it. Other than that, i was just curious if this is a good buy and if not, i'm open to your advice and criticisms because i am not that good with computers. Thanks in advance.

www(dot)tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6147827&pagenumber=1&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

Since i can't post links, here's some of the stats. If that's not enough info let me know, i can post more.
    *Fixt- replaced . w/ (dot) clever.

* AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHZ Quad-Core CPU
    * 1GB ATI Radeon 5770
    * 4GB DDR3
    * 500GB Hard Drive
    * Lightscribe DVD-RW
    * AMD VISION Premium

Deleted
    Short answer is no.

I'd lower my expectations with that build. WoW is pretty CPU bound, and that is one of the lowest budget 4 Cores you can get on the AM3 platform. You may experience nice smooth framerates in areas which are lightly populated, with some of your details turned on high, but expect to have low framerates in 25 man raids or major cities at peak times.

If its also the machine i'm looking at, then the $730 asking price is too high because for an extra $70, which is a small amount in comparison to the whole budget, you could get this .

The only sad thing is it's no longer in stock, but has a really beefy gaming processor and not just WoW. It's specs should give you some idea what should expect for a decent prebuilt.

Deleted
    I play WoW with maxed setting with a lower clocked Dual-Core CPU and a weaker system in general.

You will be fine. Your PC is fine.

WoW was designed to run on 5+ year old PCs.

And WoW isn't intense on the CPU either. As long as it doesn't bottle-neck your system, the CPU is almost irrelevant.

For WoW 4 GB RAM > GPU > CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I play WoW with maxed setting with a lower clocked Dual-Core CPU and a weaker system in general.
    Not 25-man raids with 1920x1080 monitor. You'll be having 5fps tops with any kind of old dual core then.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Not 25-man raids with 1920x1080 monitor. You'll be having 5fps tops with any kind of old dual core then.
    I agree to this. WoW can "technically" use up to 3 cores, not efficiently but it can use them. Beyond 2 cores the clock speed and effectiveness of the clock speed/architecture come into play which is why regardless of 8 threads(which make no difference compared to 4), going from 4GHz to 4.6 or 4.8 gives a MAJOR fps gain.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Agreed... and yes WoW is very intensive on the cpu compared to the gpu.
    Now do not misconstrued what I mean by the above statement....
    Yes, WoW does need a decent GPU card.
    Yes, WoW does need a decent CPU.
    Yes, WoW does need to have a decent amount of Ram.

What I mean by the above statement is, I largely believe from research and reading along with getting opinions on here and in WoW from people is that some agree that WoW is a CPU hog. Now that does not mean you need to have a top notch CPU, to me it just means you need to find a nice balance between the 2 (CPU & GPU) in order to get the most from the least amount of money. Along with that I think most people underestimate how much WoW hogs the CPU....

I just bought this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...215R-_-Product
    (In short for those who do not want to click)
    i5 760 (2.8Ghz)
    8 Gigs of ddr 1300
    GTS 450 (1 gig)

I run my resolution on my desktop at 1920 x 1080, in WoW I run 1600 x 900 - Windows Mode (if I remember right). Now my guess is I can run it on ultra (with shadows OFF) and get about 50 fps. I will however let you know once I get it up and running, which should be Wed or tomorrow sometime in the late evening. This price is originally about $800-$900. I went with the i5 just due to the process power and other things I need it for. I also believe you can get the same on a Phenom 965 BE, with a ATI 5770, 8 gig of ram. I personally like having that much ram....
    My dad has built, bought, and loves computers along with working on them for a living and still goes to college to learn about them. Best way to explain a computer is like a car...you get what you pay for. The company just depends on the amount of percentages it puts out in lemons.

Example:
    Chevy (and I use chevy because I am a chevy fan and I am a mechanic, along with working for them)....
    Chevy.. Some people like them some do not. Some have had bad experiences with them, some have had great experiences with them. None the less they put out a good vehicle.
    Cadillac.. Everyone loves em, everyone likes em, they are a sturdy dependable vehicle.
    But in either case, it also depends on how well you take care of you vehicle (or computer). Vehicles have routine maintenance , so help make it last longer. Computers have something similiar, but not as concrete. Some people do Defrags every 3 months, some do it twice a year, I even know some who do it once a month or every other week. But in all honesty it depends on what your using it for, and knowing your computer and what program does what.

Back on subject....
    Fill this out so we can get a better idea of what your looking for, and what you need~

Upgrade or New Computer:

Upgrade on what (you hope):

Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built:

How much you want to spend:

How much you can spend:

What all you plan to use it for:

What Operating system you want to use & Bit:

What Resolution you hope to be in:

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS:

What Country are you from:

What can you re-use:

Network will be wired or wireless:

Any Additional Info Here:
    Their is also a link for this kind of stuff: Upgrades, which is also a sticky. I highly suggest you read this....
    Last edited by Maxemiss; 2011-02-21 at 08:54 PM.
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    And WoW isn't intense on the CPU either. As long as it doesn't bottle-neck your system, the CPU is almost irrelevant.

For WoW 4 GB RAM > GPU > CPU
    This is not true. WoW is certainly CPU intensive and factors in chip architecture as well as raw clock speed. One of the most recent benchmarks, which can be found here shows significant scaling between CPUs even when benchmarked in a lightly populated area. Factor in the above build, which has a weaker CPU than the one listed at the bottom of that table and you'll certainly have a system which will struggle during raids and details set to high/ultra. Remember shadows is processed by the CPU, which is why people are given the advice to turn this setting down when looking to improve their overall FPS.

Deleted
    wow with everything on max? wows engine is so unstable and badly prgrammed youd be lucky to find a PC that didnt cost £1000s that could do that....
    Dont base things on wow :P, find a game were the engine coders werent on crack.

Spend a little extra get more ram

More Ram
    More Ram
    More Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Spend a little extra get more ram

More Ram
    More Ram
    More Ram
    Why? After 4GB it doesn't do anything for WoW as long as you aren't multiboxing.

---------- Post added 2011-02-22 at 03:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    wow with everything on max? wows engine is so unstable and badly prgrammed
    Quite short-sighted rant there. Problem with WoW and other MMOs is that the game needs to handle input of hundreds/thousands of players at the same time, not just one like in average first person shooters. That is what puts more strain on processor, and it will happen with every single MMO depending on the game's complexity.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Wow is still a 32 bit program and buying more ram wont help that. U will still get fatal errors sometimes "out of memory" esp if u use alot of addons...

Im running 8gig of ram and it still happens.

I can add that overclocking my i5 750 from 2.67 to 3.6ghz was a very big difference for me in terms of fps and i no longer get any fps drops that brings me down under 30 fps.

I got a 5850 black edition, slightly overclocked.

But sure, ofc u lagg in 25 man raids sometimes, but name one pc that dosent do that. its the 10 year old warcraft 3 engine thats just not optimized to rum wow the way its running atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    wow with everything on max?
    assuming your are referring to the post above yours showing the benchmarks, no. If you followed the link they stated: "Our World of Warcraft benchmark is a manual FRAPS runthrough of a lightly populated server with no other player controlled characters around. The frame rates here are higher than you'd see in a real world scenario, but the relative comparison between CPUs is accurate.

We run on a Radeon HD 5870 at 1680 x 1050. We're using WoW's high quality defaults but with weather intensity turned down all the way."

You need at least an AMD Phenom II OCed dual core or a quad core if you want to run 25 man raids smoothly at highest settings. You can most definitely do 25 man raids with a much slower CPU, but don't expect to get smooth fps at high rest and high settings. A 5770 is good enough for WoW and will let you run at highest settings, unless your CPU is a bottleneck.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Upgrade or New Computer: Both

Upgrade on what (you hope): Anything will be an upgrade. But i want to run wow smoothly in 25mans so it looks good and preforms well.

Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built: preferably pre-built because i don't know enough about computers to build one myself.

How much you want to spend: in the ballpark of $1000 or less.

How much you can spend: easily $900

What all you plan to use it for: Mostly WoW. But i will install SC for sure. might be used for school later but i am currently just working.

What Operating system you want to use & Bit: Windows is fine. 64bit i guess. never really used anything but windows.

What Resolution you hope to be in: I already have a 24inch asus LCD monitor. i know it runs 1920x1080

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS: i want settings to be maxed. and i don't know how much fps is desirable because the max i've gotten is 30. so hopefully running above 30fps in raids

What Country are you from: US (IL)

What can you re-use: Nothing. Hopefully can burn the old laptop.

Network will be wired or wireless: Will be wired to a good broadband connection. never had problems with it.

Any Additional Info Here: Just my thoughts. I had looked through the sticky guides and things but the only thing i know on how to get more fps is to buy a new video card. I'm ignorant when it comes to computers, sorry. Thanks again for all your info guys, really helps when i'm trying to make a decision on a decent size purchase. For a cpl years i've been playing in 10fps or lower when i'm not sitting in org and its gettin old. Once again, open to more criticisms and advice. Can provide more information if needed. Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolers View Post
    What Settings do you Want & how much FPS: i want settings to be maxed. and i don't know how much fps is desirable because the max i've gotten is 30. so hopefully running above 30fps in raids
    _allways_ staying above 30fps in a 25man raid is pretty much not possible. if you look at the latest benchmark i did (link) you can see that even with that pc i sometimes droped in the range of 25-28 fps. yes, the gpu is not the newest and you could get something better there, but that would have a minor impact on your framerates. but, its still very playable at those framerates. on my old pc i droped to like 15 fps in realy heavy aoe+bloodlust combinations, and i really startet to "feel" the drops at about 20fps. anything above that is still very playable.

Ah alright. Didn't really have a benchmark myself because when i Bloodlust and aoe in raids i go down to 6fps and then when healing (shaman) and use healing rain, my computer just stops for a few seconds and then explodes with green healing numbers everywhere lol

This will work or something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229244
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227288
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227258
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227319
    Now remind you these computers have shotty customer service reps, but none the less you should get what you want out of them.

But I would wait a month or 2 for the i5-2500k and see what is offered at that time.
    Last edited by Maxemiss; 2011-02-22 at 06:27 PM.
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.