Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is it o.k. for me to let them die?

Hello there,
    I have been a healer for a couple of months now and have done every 5 man dungeon in the game, excluding 7 or 8 cata heroics.

I have picked up a habit that I am not sure is bad or not. My habit is this (and it applies especially to cata heroics); if there is a dps in the group that is taking a more damage than the rest of the group (respective to class of course), is standing in the path of obvious avoidable damage and is generally slacking over all and then we get stuck in a tough spot and I'm burning more mana than usual on that dps, I then usually just let that dps die and focus my healing on the rest of the group and then we usually come out fine (then I res the dps and more often than not they get kicked when the rest of the group gets fed up with them).

I have read and heard that "letting a player die because they are bad is not teaching them anything", I do believe this, but I don't believe I'm doing it for that reason. I have done this a few times and have never been kicked for it.

I just wanted to know what you think, is this a bad habit to keep or is it understandable for me to do this to save the rest of the group?
    Last edited by mmoc8c253b142b; 2011-02-22 at 10:43 PM.

i let people die all the time in heroics. especially if they are guildies. dont feel bad telling them i let them die because they suck. if it were a pug, which i never run, i'd attempt to save them once or twice but after that i'd lose patience with them and let them die too.

First time or two I will try and save them... I'll make sure to tell them what they did wrong, and if they continue that habit I let they die... it's either that or you waste yer mana healing the ignorant and then you wipe... if they're gonna be stupid, then that's on them... as I've told many people before, guildie and pug alike... "I can't heal stupid"...

10+ Year Old Account
    Step 1: Heal through the first mistakes and take note.
    Step 2: Heal through the second mistake and plainly address the tard in /party.
    Step 3: Do not heal through the third mistake and rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 4: Do not heal through the fourth mistake and do not rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 5: Type /p lulz@dead guy and run away.

If the tard just lays there without releasing, vote to kick. However, by this time, the tard will likely be spewing vitriol as he releases, runs back and drops group on his own.

If they stand in shit, don't heal them a bit.

Deleted
    Let them die after making mistakes like that more than an acceptable number I guess, maybe they'll learn and see what killed them. Or maybe I'm just too hopeful

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot stress the number of times i have told a group, "I can't heal stupidity." Some people will only learn something if you let them die. It shouldnt be a first course of action though. I would keep them topped enough that they wont die, but not to the point that they are going to force me to go OOM 30% into a fight.

Dont heal for a few seconds but dont let them die
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2011-02-22 at 11:43 PM.

They will learn that if they are in the wrong spot they will die. As long as you have some tolerance to them, i've been in groups on my rogue where I would take 1 tick dmg from something and the healer would refuse to heal me after that... but it seems like you give them a chance to avoid dmg
    Last edited by Donax; 2011-02-22 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's perfectly fair tbh. If others (the tank for example) die because you had to use all your mana keeping 1 dps alive then that is certainly bad for the group as a whole. You should probably say something but i can understand if you don't. I often when tanking get irritated by stupid dps. i should also say something but more often than not it leads to that dps being abusive to me so i find it easier just to ignore em and carry on regardless if it's not big an issue or initiate a kick if it is.

i used to let dps that wouldnt move out of aoe's die in BC, and still do it in nowadays in healing them is gonna oom me. I always tell them why i didnt heal them, most of the time i get a sorry mate, but some get very abusive, those usually get kicked pretty damn fast.

DPS taking avoidable damage is low on my heal priority list - sounds like they're low on yours too. There are some rare occasions where letting a DPS die, even if they're only marginally contributing, can result in a wipe. But if you can 4-man the specific encounter, there's no reason to waste mana on a dead weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give people the benefit of the doubt the first or second offense. But blatantly standing in fire, eating cleaves, or screwing up consistently gets them no heals. When asked why they didn't get healed - "I can't heal stupidity"
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Step 1: Heal through the first mistakes and take note.
    Step 2: Heal through the second mistake and plainly address the tard in /party.
    Step 3: Do not heal through the third mistake and rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 4: Do not heal through the fourth mistake and do not rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 5: Type /p lulz@dead guy and run away.
    More or less this, my word choice would be a bit more harsh though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya View Post
    I give people the benefit of the doubt the first or second offense. But blatantly standing in fire, eating cleaves, or screwing up consistently gets them no heals. When asked why they didn't get healed - "I can't heal stupidity"
    This^

Also starting to take it up a notch after seeing an increase in either really bad tanks, or dps players rerolling tank-classes considering the nerf + luck of the draw.., steam rolling into clusters of trash (Gb especially where casters + elems do hurt), using no cd to mitigate the dmg n' often losing agro on atleast 1 mob forcing me to either blow the majority of my cd's with chain pulling (This is also brought about poor itimization n' general lack of gear).., normaly I ask if they feel they have the capability n' gear to pull of chain pulls or if they feel its smart when they aren't keeping full agro, if the reply is cocky or there's no response I tend to keep back so im out of combat n' let them die. (If the dps is desent I even whisper them previous of a pull so they don't die)

Don't take this as a rant towards all tanks as this exp have brought the best of them out, but as suspected with luck of the draw working all over n' the considerable nerf to dungeons (Despite what blizz stated) it have only lead some back to the Wrath ways, which ofc we all know isn't what Blizz wanted -.-

(( Gotta wonder what whichever pee brain at HQ thought the result would be anything but a wrath event when you chop things down ))

To OP

In my eyes your doing the only right thing, it is NOT your job to teach someone els to play or atleast show an interest in the game they themselves are paying to play.
    Both in the real n' virtual world the same rule applies, whatever you yourself choose to attempt, the amount of succes you have is a result of the effort you put into it.
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2011-02-22 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Don't take this as a rant towards all tanks as this exp have brought the best of them out, but as suspected with luck of the draw working all over n' the considerable nerf to dungeons (Despite what blizz stated) it have only lead some back to the Wrath ways, which ofc we all know isn't what Blizz wanted -.-
    Ozruk (SC) and Karsh Steelbender (BRC) are still tank brain checks, I give up quite fast after a couple wipes while playing my mage... Still, much easier than pre-patch.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Talking of SC, the first few trash pulls are always a very good indicator of whether you have a quality or clueless group. If they allow the big elemental guy to transform and do his AoE crap, it's a good time to stop healing and run for the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfanos View Post
    Hello there,
    I have been a healer for a couple of months now and have done every 5 man dungeon in the game, excluding 7 or 8 cata heroics.

I have picked up a habit that I am not sure is bad or not. My habit is this (and it applies especially to cata heroics); if there is a dps in the group that is taking a more damage than the rest of the group (respective to class of course), is standing in the path of obvious avoidable damage and is generally slacking over all and then we get stuck in a tough spot and I'm burning more mana than usual on that dps, I then usually just let that dps die and focus my healing on the rest of the group and then we usually come out fine (then I res the dps and more often than not they get kicked when the rest of the group gets fed up with them).

I have read and heard that "letting a player die because they are bad is not teaching them anything", I do believe this, but I don't believe I'm doing it for that reason. I have done this a few times and have never been kicked for it.

I just wanted to know what you think, is this a bad habit to keep or is it understandable for me to do this to save the rest of the group?
    Let 'em die. I know you end up eating the blame sometimes from groups for doing it, but the idiot needs to suffer through the repair bill imo.

Yes, that person $14.99 a month entitles them to play the game as they see fit but the other four people in the groups $59.96 says they need to remove their head from their ass.
    Last edited by Dunn; 2011-02-22 at 11:55 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe should be a Poll on this thread?

Sorry to have to say this but this is another reason I dreaded doing dungeons and another reason I quit.

Tired of getting into dungeons, myself being the tank, and I look over and there's another dude that tank spec/using a shield. "Uhh hey buddy, your role is DPS." "I will help you." 'Cannot vote to kick for 45 minutes...........

Or I am the tank and the dps are just complete @holes, aka a Warrior, just charging into groups dpsing before the initial pull has been made.

Or DPS that don't target assist. Just fed up with it.