Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stop Crying - The BGs are BALANCED

The graph on the front page shows red lines way longer than blue lines. OMG. This means that Horde clearly wins way more than Alliance, right?

Actually, if you actually take the time to read, you'll find that this long lines equate to win ratios like 54:46. This is an extremely good win/loss ratio. It's as close to 50% as you can reasonably expect to get. Blizzard has done a great job making the BGs pretty much fair and these stats only prove this.

So please, stop complaining Alliance. Horde, stop complaining about AV. Everyone wins pretty much the same amount as they lose. It will not ever be better and it is incredible that it is this good.

# 1. The first scan has been made a year ago.

# 2. The "Battles in the Last Year" graph is basically this month's scan minus the results of last year's scan. Deleted/transfered characters were removed from the stats.

# 3. Even if the amount of people scanned is huge, don't take these stats as a 100% truth. Only Blizzard can be 100% sure of that, especially since it's very hard to gather a lot of data from the Armory.
    "There is no real life, just afk"

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry, but to me 4% difference is actually pretty huge. I dont know if this shows that the alliance player base is just weaker at pvp over all or rather that there are simply more pvp minded (or over all) horde players accross all the servers. One thing to note though in support of this is that almost all PvE servers are alliance dominated (including mine @ Medivh) while most PvP servers are heavily horde dominated.

It is certainly worth a good discussion though

Statiscis and graphs is shit, it can be easily be bend to which side you want it to be bend. (Didn't your math teacher learn you something?)

Deleted
    It would be worth a good discussion if the figures were 100% accurate and pulled directly by Blizzard representatives. While it does give an indication, I could easily draw a complete other conclusion from these numbers, based on the second line of the second point:

Deleted/transfered characters were removed from the stats.
    I sure hope this means that they were removed from BOTH samples of data, both last year and current data... If not, maybe more Horde than Alliance players removed their characters, thus skewing the results.

These numbers from armory parses are nice, but not 100% accurate.
    Unless Blizzard allows a peek inside the server parses, nobody can know if the win/loss ratio is closer to 40:60 or 50:50...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest that the next scan would be on single battlegroups and not the whole playerbase... There are good and there are bad battlegroups. No need to mix them together.
    Not every n00b is a bad player, but every bad player is a n00b.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehceilingkitteh View Post
    sorry, but to me 4% difference is actually pretty huge. I dont know if this shows that the alliance player base is just weaker at pvp over all or rather that there are simply more pvp minded (or over all) horde players accross all the servers. One thing to note though in support of this is that almost all PvE servers are alliance dominated (including mine @ Medivh) while most PvP servers are heavily horde dominated.

It is certainly worth a good discussion though
    so do you expect a perfect 50/50 ratio? in a perfect world maybe but that wont happen here and that being the case someone has to be on top and in this particular case that happens to be the horde

The riptide is free..but the GWH? Thats gonna cost you..

tbh, you can't rly balance other bgs than strand of the ancients, because you can't just assume that horde and alliance are equally good and balance so there would be close to 50:50 ratio, that could only be done if it was random spawns.
    take AV, if alliance and horde could both spawn and defend drek, you could look at how often the team defending drek won or lost and then balance, but since that's not gonna happen of obvious reasons, you just can't possibly balance it "right".
    that goes for every other bg than strand of the ancients, where there's actually random who starts and both teams need to do the same thing on a timer, and therefore is balanceable unlike the other bgs.

and also remember that there not only from 80/85 bg. but also from the lower bg where alliance is alot better then horde.

This is very accurate data. It's about as effective as you could get. I'd imagine Blizzards numbers are no more than a percentage point off in either direction. There might be a disclaimer, but that's only because people would attack them if it wasn't there. This information was posted because it is an excellent study and about as good as you could possibly get.

Regardless, the main point of this was that people are citing this data to say that things are not balanced. This data indicates that it is balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    I would suggest that the next scan would be on single battlegroups and not the whole playerbase... There are good and there are bad battlegroups. No need to mix them together.
    Aren't battlegrounds regionwide now? So region based would be better.

Arena Balance Statistics And Graphs

Balanced in your favour is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by shockerxl View Post
    so do you expect a perfect 50/50 ratio? in a perfect world maybe but that wont happen here and that being the case someone has to be on top and in this particular case that happens to be the horde
    If anything could be gathered from those statistics, it's that AV in unbalanced in favour of the alliance (at least with the lol-zerg mode it currently exists as). If this gets fixed the average numbers move as well. While hard to do much about, it does show a tendency.

If the figures show anything, it's that there's a problem. Nothing major, but if one faction consistently beats the other in all BGs, there is something wrong.

So far people are saying that AV is unfair on the Horde, that the map design sucks. The implication here is this; in a balanced environment (which is what the other BGs are implied to be) the Horde on average wins more than the Alliance on a consistent enough basis. This would imply either a significantly skewered skill balance between the factions or a balancing issue in race design. I would be tempted to say it is a combination of both.

I knew that chart would cause a smelly shit storm. was a bad idea posting that. on my realm people are flocking to horde because they think its the "winning side" when in reality they're spending money for nothing.. suckers.

I agree, 4%+/- is pretty balanced. Most people agree that pvpers roll Horde more so than Alliance which explains why they win a bit more. AV is less like PvP and more like PvE, which could explain why Alliance does better. Also, Horde tend to do better when it becomes a turtle match and actual PvP happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post
    I knew that chart would cause a smelly shit storm. was a bad idea posting that. on my realm people are flocking to horde because they think its the "winning side" when in reality they're spending money for nothing.. suckers.
    That happened on my realm too. My realm has a stigma attached to how useless the Alliance are, and a lot of players took advantage of the free transfer opening when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDrLuv View Post
    I agree, 4%+/- is pretty balanced. Most people agree that pvpers roll Horde more so than Alliance which explains why they win a bit more. AV is less like PvP and more like PvE, which could explain why Alliance does better. Also, Horde tend to do better when it becomes a turtle match and actual PvP happens.
    4% - 8% seems balanced as a number on it's own, but when you consider the significance of it, there's problems. Imagine how many battlegrounds are run each and every day. If it was balanced, I would imagine it to be 1 - 4% at the most.

Look at it this way, why is 8% more victories for Alliance in AV demonstrating unbalance whilst 8% in AB and WSG is balanced? Not to mention IoC with a difference of almost 10%. These statistics show that SOMETHING is not balanced. 'Overall' is a relatively pointless statistic, since it more or less is just all the BGs added together then divided by 5. The issue should be dealt with following the analysis per battleground, not the overall.
    Last edited by DarkAxius; 2011-02-23 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    Blizzard already mixed them together, all battlegroups, arenas and LFD pugs are nationwide. So you can't single out one particular battlegroup now.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    and also remember that there not only from 80/85 bg. but also from the lower bg where alliance is alot better then horde.
    that has not been my experience. I've always gotten into games as alliance with 1/2 my team missing (AB, for example) where the horde team always seems to be at 14-15. I PVP while leveling a LOT, too, so this is not some small sample I am talking about.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

What people are likely looking at isn't so much that alliance loses 46% of the time overall which is fairly equal in the scheme of things, it's that alliance loses 8 of the 9 BGs the majority of the time. The only one alliance wins most of the time is AV. That is telling. Now if alliance won 4 of 9 BG and horde the other 5 (or vice versa) while the ratio remained 46-54, people may not complain so much because it's appear to be more equal.