Chaemaron - Healing Assignments

Our raid consists of a Holy Priest, Resto Druid and a Holy Pally.

Our current priority heal assignments are to have the Holy Priest heal the tank. The resto druid heal one group. The holly pally pally heal another group.

Ideally, I would have had the resto druid tank heal, while the other two deal with the raid. However our 358 ilvl priest doesn't believe he can heal 10k and believes he'll go OOM doing so. Unfortunately, given we're doing Hard Modes now, such a setup seems to be becoming much less feasible. In addition, he currently maintains ~36% activity during the ~3 minutes we are alive.

Is this normal for a Holy Priest on this encounter?

Given those 3 healers, how would you assign them?

If you have the Paladin Beacon the MT, and heal a group, you will only have the Soak Tank to really worry yourself over.

The Druid can easily take care of that, as well as throwing out WG and the odd Rejuve on the raid as needed.

The Holy priest is better suited to the raid. If he/she feels that they cant maintain 10K raid healing with a high item level without going OOM, I would think itemisation or talent choices are a factor. Holy Priests are great in this fight. They wont beat the Druid, but will come close.

Thats just my opinion.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Being a holy priest myself I'd have to say that a holy priest is actually the best choice to assign to raid heal in this fight. Check one of our logs for Chimaeron:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/c5wcm...=12725&e=13005
    (I don't go oom using Hymn + Shadowfiend and often have 50%+ mana left in the Mortality phase)

We have me raid heal primarily and the other 2 help out when needed. However, the paladin is primarily assigned to tank teal and the druid to do both as he sees fit. A priest with only 36% activity in ilvl 358 gear who thinks he might go oom is seriously doing something wrong.

If you want to check my armory for a comparison of gear, talents or stuff, please feel free to do so:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...enara/advanced
    Last edited by Venara; 2011-02-26 at 04:34 AM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    Being a holy priest myself I'd have to say that a holy priest is actually the best choice to assign to raid heal in this fight. Check one of our logs for Chimaeron:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/c5wcm...=12725&e=13005
    (I don't go oom using Hymn + Shadowfiend and often have 50%+ mana left in the Mortality phase)

We have me raid heal primarily and the other 2 help out when needed. However, the paladin is primarily assigned to tank teal and the druid to do both as he sees fit. A priest with only 36% activity in ilvl 358 gear who thinks he might go oom is seriously doing something wrong.

If you want to check my armory for a comparison of gear, talents or stuff, please feel free to do so:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...enara/advanced
    I had a 30 minute argument with him in which he claims that WoL is worthless in this respect. His claim is that looking at other people's logs doesn't make sense unless they have the same role/spec/comp as we do. Additionally, he suggests that activity is pointless and doesn't point to a problem. Despite pointing out that of all the logs I went through, every Chimaeron H kill had healers neck and neck and above 85% activity, he doesn't believe it's representative.

Unfortunately I am not trolling

What spells do you use to heal the raid? Specifically to get people up to 10k? Are they expected to click your lightwell for that?
    Last edited by Mehdi; 2011-02-26 at 04:53 AM.

Just flash/binding heal them up.

Tbh, it sounds like your priest is getting carried.

edit; getting your raid to click the lightwell at the start of a fued helps out massively.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    I had a 30 minute argument with him in which he claims that WoL is worthless in this respect. His claim is that looking at other people's logs doesn't make sense unless they have the same role/spec/comp as we do. That activity is also pointless and doesn't say anything.
    Honestly? He's probably lying to you. WoL isn't worthless. The raid composition doesn't matter at all. Well, a beneficial composition can make a difference of 1-2% but that's negligible. The spec doesn't matter either. Holy priests usually have the same spec with only 2-3 points deviating from each other's spec which are personal preference. It doesn't affect throughput at all. The "role" of course has to be factored in but either your healing the raid or the tank, you can easily distinguish between these two in WoL. Again, he's probably trying to hide that he's not really a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    What spells do you use to heal the raid? Specifically to get people up to 10k? Are they expected to click your lightwell for that?
    Holy Word: Serenity (instant heal, easily more than 10k, has a CD though).
    Heal (if there's enough time to cast it before the next Caustic Slime)
    Flash Heal (in case there's not)
    Binding Heal (whenever I'm one of the two targets)

This is for the normal phase. In feud phases it's:

Prayer of Healing (spam it, yay )
    Circle of Healing (whenever available)
    Lightwell (click it please!)
    Holy Word: Sanctuary (just once, put it down at the beginning of the phase, you don't have to use it though)

The thing to keep in mind that there are only three Caustic Slime attacks in that phase followed by a Massacre. This means you don't have to heal everyone to full. Just enough to survive 3x Caustic Slime and still be over 10k as the Massacre will kill all the other full hp bars you may have created This is also what most people are doing wrong and thereby spamming themselves oom. You have to know when not to heal in that fight
    Last edited by Venara; 2011-02-26 at 05:00 AM.

WOL is the best tool to determine efficiency.

At the risk of being overly blunt and perhaps even rude, he needs to stop being so arrogant and accept he may not understand his class that well.

Chimaeron has a 5 second swing timer...he can't heal 10k in 5 seconds (Read: 1 or 2 regular Heal spells)? Sounds like he's either really bad, really lazy, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    Honestly? He's probably lying to you. WoL isn't worthless. The raid composition doesn't matter at all. Well, a beneficial composition can make a difference of 1-2% but that's negligible. The spec doesn't matter either. Holy priests usually have the same spec with only 2-3 points deviating from each other's spec which are personal preference. It doesn't affect throughput at all. The "role" of course has to be factored in but either your healing the raid or the tank, you can easily distinguish between these two in WoL. Again, he's probably trying to hide that he's not really a very good player.

Holy Word: Serenity (instant heal, easily more than 10k, has a CD though).
    Heal (if there's enough time to cast it before the next Caustic Slime)
    Flash Heal (in case there's not)
    Binding Heal (whenever I'm one of the two targets)

This is for the normal phase. In feud phases it's:

Prayer of Healing (spam it, yay )
    Circle of Healing (whenever available)
    Lightwell (click it please!)
    Holy Word: Sanctuary (just once, put it down at the beginning of the phase, you don't have to use it though)

The thing to keep in mind that there are only three Caustic Slime attacks in that phase followed by a Massacre. This means you don't have to heal everyone to full. Just enough to survive 3x Caustic Slime and still be over 10k as the Massacre will kill all the other full hp bars you may have created ;-)
    Oh ya, I'm a huge WoL fan. Unfortunately my trouble is his refusal to understand its value. I'm in 100% in agreement with you.

Thanks for the great tips! Quite honestly, I think it's time to vote our priest off our island.

Your Holy Priest is really, really bad. Find another one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, as a fellow priest I do feel bad for him but that would be my conclusion as well.

36% activity is just...well, I don't know, possibly enjoyable depending on what he does the other 64% of the time. Maybe watch TV?

I'd set it up with the 2 tanks in group 1
    Holy paladin on the tanks, beacon on tank taking double strikes for more hp.
    Druid takes care of group 1
    Priest takes care of group 2

Druid and priest can both put a hot on either tank if needed.

If this doesn't work, tell your healers to stop healing and reroll.
    Last edited by Iniquity; 2011-02-26 at 06:10 AM.

I assume we're talking about normal mode but the general assignment works well for hc as well with some modification.

Druids are by far the worst healer to have on your raid on chimaeron. A druid makes excellent tank healer in this fight, especially on your soaker since his hots will keep ticking and not result in any overhealing.

A good holy priest could take care of the entire raid himself outside of feuds.

To make this way less painful, take your Druid off of group duty. Druids have so little direct healing that bad RNG can end this for you, as well as having them perform a role they just don't have the tools to do well. It -can- be done, but much easier if someone else does it.

We run the same healing setup as you, and we have the Druid healing the tank, with the Holy Paladin and Holy Priest responsible for keeping their own group above 10k before helping heals on the MT/OT (depending on Break / Taunt strat used).