Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My Greatest Fear......Flies

Okay, I'm sure it has something to do with seeing the Jeff Goldblum movie at a very young age. Anyway...
    Houseflies in particular are to me the worst adversary a human being can face.
    If one lands on my food, I cannot eat it. Period.
    If there is one nearby, I cannot remain in the same room until it has been killed.
    They are, in a word, my nemesis.

First of all, they spread disease. A lot of it. I read somewhere that these garbage-pukers carry up to Eight Million pathogens on their six footpads.They vomit or defecate at least some half the times they land. I've read that they spread more disease than any other organism using these methods.
    It gets worse.
    They're ugly.
    Really, REALLY UGLY!
    I attest that a close-up of a fly under a microscope is the most disgusting being in existence. They are frequently so mutated, it is common for them to have tiny eyes growing out of their legs! Ugliest creature award material hands down.
    It's also worth noting that they are a symbol of death, right up there with the human skull and crows.

And before you think I'm just super squeamish, let me say, other insects don't bother me at all. I am perfectly comfortable handling all kinds of bugs. I actually am kind of fond of large spiders, who share my plight against the unending scourge known as the housefly.

I freaking hate flies!
    Does anyone else share this phobia or hatred of flies as much as I do?
    Last edited by Callace; 2011-02-25 at 07:34 PM.

Never watch "The Holy Mountain" then.
    The scene 9 seconds in is longer in the film.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc
    Herring seeks your life!

You eat a dozen of them in your sleep every year. Just thought I would share that.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by treston323 View Post
    You eat a dozen of them in your sleep every year. Just thought I would share that.
    This is true, we have acid in our stomachs for a reason, it prevents a large amount of diseases from entering our system, not just for digesting food.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitchlol View Post
    Never watch "The Holy Mountain" then.
    The scene 9 seconds in is longer in the film.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc
    I can handle anything on film. The Holy Mountain is frightening for other reasons.

Flies are pretty fun. Always crashing into windows and stuff. Also, you feel you got skills if you manage to kill one with just your hands. And to hell with Spiders. Kill them all. Seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by treston323 View Post
    Not if you sleep in a vacuum.

As Spherea said, when I kill a fly a great sense of victory overwhelms me xD

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I can handle anything on film. The Holy Mountain is frightening for other reasons.
    I regret watching that film, yet i don't at the same time.
    Herring seeks your life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spherea View Post
    Flies are pretty fun. Always crashing into windows and stuff. Also, you feel you got skills if you manage to kill one with just your hands. And to hell with Spiders. Kill them all. Seriously.
    Technically, flies kill a lot more people indirectly than spiders. Spiders are our friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if you sleep in a vacuum.
    I'm fairly sure human beings can't survive in a vacuum. Something about the lack of air springs to mind.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not afraid of flies, but I can respect your feelings on the matter. What does me in are crickets. /SHUDDER Crickets and flies don't bother my husband, but put him near a spider and he turns into a little girl. To each his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are millions of germs everywhere. Your car, your door knob, your soap...everywhere!

One fly won't hurt you...and you can always smack it or spray bugspray on its face.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, they spread disease. A lot of it. I read somewhere that these garbage-pukers carry up to Eight Million pathogens on their six footpads.They vomit or defecate at least some half the times they land. I've read that they spread more disease than any other organism using these methods.
    It gets worse.
    They're ugly.
    Really, REALLY UGLY!
    I attest that a close-up of a fly under a microscope is the most disgusting being in existence. They are frequently so mutated, it is common for them to have tiny eyes growing out of their legs! Ugliest creature award material hands down.
    It's also worth noting that they are a symbol of death, right up there with the human skull and crows.

And before you think I'm just super squeamish, let me say, other insects don't bother me at all. I am perfectly comfortable handling all kinds of bugs. I actually am kind of fond of large spiders, who share my plight against the unending scourge known as the housefly.

I freaking hate flies!
    Does anyone else share this phobia or hatred of flies as much as I do?
    Personally i think they look fascinating i have found myself just staring ata fly and wtach it move in simple fascination. Also Crows in SOME cultures are a symbol of death but like ravens in some cultures they are symbols of knowledge or wisdon. Thy're like the number 13 or black cats some cultures consider is lucky others bad luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I'm fairly sure human beings can't survive in a vacuum. Something about the lack of air springs to mind.
    I can hold my breath pretty long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mice. No idea why. They're as harmless as a wet paper bag, yet i'm terrified of them. Probably remnants of the fear of the bubonic plague still linger in peoples minds.

Fly is to you as butterfly/moths/crickets are too me. Crickets are disgusting, too..

Flies are nasty though. Yuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Also Crows in SOME cultures are a symbol of death but like ravens in some cultures they are symbols of knowledge or wisdon. Thy're like the number 13 or black cats some cultures consider is lucky others bad luck.
    Most def, but flies never represent anything BUT death, to my knowledge. Something about corpses being eaten by maggots after a while...
    Last edited by Callace; 2011-02-25 at 07:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can hold my breath pretty long.
    Holding your breath in a vacuum will cause your lungs to explode, and you can't live without lungs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    There are millions of germs everywhere. Your car, your door knob, your soap...everywhere!
    No doubt germs are everywhere, flies are highly concentrated, flying versions of them though.

---------- Post added 2011-02-25 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Holding your breath in a vacuum will cause your lungs to explode, and you can't live without lungs.
    I guess the international space station is my only hope.