Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Arms Warrior Threat

Here's the problem: i play arms, i love it and i'm very happy for the upcoming changes, but there are huge aggro issues. When i started to run instances my "full burst" rotation was Recklesness > macro Battle Stance - Charge > Battle Shout during Charge > CS > MS > Rend > OP; the whole thing trying to use more rage as i could to blow Deadly Calm and got those 10 secs of rage free abilities and have 100 rage at the end of that allowing me the spam HS for extra damage. This is our best priority rotation but we raise more aggro than most of the tanks; in about 3 weeks of random dungeons i found only 2 tanks able to keep aggro: a DK and a blue-green geared (even if really good at his job) warr. I decided not to blow Recklesness in order to reduce my threat and save a bit of gold from repairs, it changed nothing. There is something more: i usually play with my GF, which plays an Hunter, but my threat is always above the tanks after 5-6 seconds even if she misdirect them (and she always does). Now that i finished writing a post long as much as a book i need your opinion: am i doing something wrong, or it's just arms threat too heavy? and in this case, what's the point with buffing a class/spec that can push 25k dps in the first 10 secs and die in that period?

Thanks a lot for your patiance reading my bad english and for your answers.
    Last edited by mmoc48abb55315; 2011-02-27 at 02:02 PM.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How long are you waiting before attacking? Try waiting a few more seconds.

I will agree Warriors tend to have threat problems (I've become my boyfriend's personal salvbot in raids), but there are things you can do to help.

I really think so much of the problem lies in insane burst with no threat dump. Hunters Feign, Priests Fade, kitties Cower, Paladins Salv...

...but Warriors, they die like a MAN.

I don't know what to say other than 'don't blow all your cooldowns in first seconds of fight'.

Deleted
    i wait about 5 seconds before charging in, but i still get aggro. i can't hold for half of the fight before start attacking to make sure not to get aggro =D i hope blizz will do something to fix this.

Deleted
    Tell your tanks to get their pulls straight. My damage dealers prepot, pull CDs right off the bat and we're still fine.

If the problem persists, get yourself a salvbot.

Deleted
    i didn't say " i blow all my cooldown in first seconds of fight" i explained my rotation with the details, and i also said i'm not using Recklesness anymore.

If rogue tricks tank you shouldnt have any threat problems or the tank is doing something horribly wrong. When you pop your CDs ask paladins for salvation.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Check out my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/MairouTV

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, are you doing heroics, or raids? I read the post as if you're simply doing heroics, which means you can't afford to rely on specific skills (ToTT, Salv, ask tanks to fail less, etc) because you can't guarantee the group comp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    OP, are you doing heroics, or raids? I read the post as if you're simply doing heroics, which means you can't afford to rely on specific skills (ToTT, Salv, ask tanks to fail less, etc) because you can't guarantee the group comp.
    i'm only running heroics and pugging argaloth due to the fact that i got no guild, but listen to this: yesterday i've done an ICC run for fun and a bit of gold, tanking as arms; i hold aggro over a well-geared prot paladin...

Its just one of the things you have to deal with, Especially if you have a tank with low hit and they miss an early attack. However you DO have to wait maybe 5 seconds into the fight before you frontload threat or you can pull off, you need to let the tank get some vengance before you try to go all out on the boss or you can easily pull agro.

On Aoe pulls, try spreading the threat around a bit, and get your self omen and when you get close 5-10% back off or switch to another target. Its as much of your job to manage threat as the tanks, although they should have no problem over the long run, those first 30 seconds are hard to get initial agro sometimes.

Do not focus fire a target, if its not a boss.

Pretty much everything here.

Try changing (Charge > CS > MS > Rend > OP) to (Charge > Rend > CS > MS > OP)

That rend might give the tank the extra GCD he needs at the beginning of the fight. As for pulling later in the fight... let's keep praying that warriors will get a threat reduction someday.

Discouraging Shout: Reduced threat by X % on all nearby enemies. "YOU SUCK AT SCRABBLE!"

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having the same problems with my arms threat as well. I usually have to wait a good 10-15 seconds before dpsing just to make sure I don't pull of the tank, and sometimes that doesn't even work. In most fights (raids or dungeons) my dps feel more limited by my threat then my skill. I'm sure most will say "get a salvbot" but I don't feel that I need another classes ability to play mine correctly.

lol at most paladins in randoms. Hey paly please salv me about 10 seconds in the fight>.... whats salv?> a threat reduction ability you have>throws it on me 5 seconds before pulling....
    Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Divine Shield.. Never really stood the hole point of the "oh look at me im in a shiny bubble" I mean come on what does that shit even do?! Pointless waist of mana imo.

Warriors won't get a threat reduction. We are Warriors! RAWR. A threat reduction just wouldn't fit the class, ya know? Just don't blow shit up off the start and you'll be fine.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolmagorov View Post
    Try changing (Charge > CS > MS > Rend > OP) to (Charge > Rend > CS > MS > OP)

That rend might give the tank the extra GCD he needs at the beginning of the fight. As for pulling later in the fight... let's keep praying that warriors will get a threat reduction someday.

Discouraging Shout: Reduced threat by X % on all nearby enemies. "YOU SUCK AT SCRABBLE!"
    So, much, win.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    Rogue tricks + salv x2 shud do the trick im fury and im an agrro whore sometimes its awesome because they boss hits you for extra rage and the tank taunts bk and its ok but if your doing hardmodes becareful.

Your problem is using -everything- when the tank pulls and has no threat. It's your fault you're dying. Keep your fingers away from your burst macros/abilities/whatever until good threat has been established.

Plus if you're only doing heroics + argaloth, don't bother using reck til <20%. Same goes for Deadly calm if you don't think deadly calm will be ready again before the fight ends. It's better to spend those cooldowns on executes anyways. It's very enjoyable watching 85-90k executes fly up your screen. And yes, they are possible without gimmicks.

Deleted
    What you have to be mindful of is your "DPS mentality". There is no sense in blowing everything right off the bat, mage-style. The groups survival matters more then the DPS charts.

So, hold off on your spells for a couple of seconds and you should be fine.

Deleted
    well guys, 70% tanks in hcs are offspecs, cuz that guys dont wanna wait 40m as dps. As arms i always tank min 2 mobs of pack, so i usually burst casters which can be easily controlled. If i start aoe a bit i am always dead, even tho i do 40-50% party overall dmg. The tanks who r able to hold agro r rly rare nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvitko View Post
    well guys, 70% tanks in hcs are offspecs, cuz that guys dont wanna wait 40m as dps. As arms i always tank min 2 mobs of pack, so i usually burst casters which can be easily controlled. If i start aoe a bit i am always dead, even tho i do 40-50% party overall dmg. The tanks who r able to hold agro r rly rare nowadays.
    That's cause those tanks have guild groups
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"