Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Demonic Pact bug

I posted about this a while ago but I have some proof this time.

For some reason, Demonic Pact is not showing up in the 'buffs gained' tab of my WoL report. None of my raid members had it. Now I always have my pet out on the pull and she rarely dies. So when I used the log browser for myself and some other lock ranked higher up, I see the following difference:

My log from last night

Somebody elses log, from the same fight

Eh? It looks to me like only Ebon Imp is getting the DP in my logs.

I just don't get why DP isn't showing up for me. This has happened consistently over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2011-02-28 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    Ele shaman sticking their totem up possibly? If no Ele shaman then something's fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    I posted about this a while ago but I have some proof this time.

For some reason, Demonic Pact is not showing up in the 'buffs gained' tab of my WoL report. None of my raid members had it. Now I always have my pet out on the pull and she rarely dies. So when I used the log browser for myself and some other lock ranked higher up, I see the following difference:
    Eh? It looks to me like only Ebon Imp is getting the DP in my logs.

I just don't get why DP isn't showing up for me. This has happened consistently over the last few weeks.
    More information is needed, such as who was in your group and their specs. There are a few possibilities to the answer, but more information is needed.

Ok I had the following setup:

Prot Warrior
    Blood DK

Feral Druid DPS
    MM hunter
    Enhancement shaman
    Demo lock
    Balance Druid

Healers:
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest
    Holy Pally

You need Totemic Wrath to get 10% spell power from a shammy - AFAIK that is far down the elemental tree. He had 97% active time for searing totem and to get 6% you need flametongue down.

This has happened with different setups. It has happened WIITHOUT the shaman and hunter, and with a rogue and mage instead. We have always had our priest, warrior, and boomkin whenever I play demo.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2011-02-28 at 05:34 PM.

Ok I had the following setup:

Prot Warrior
    Blood DK

Feral Druid DPS
    MM hunter
    Enhancement shaman
    Demo lock
    Balance Druid

Healers:
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest
    Holy Pally

You need Totemic Wrath to get 10% spell power from a shammy - AFAIK that is far down the elemental tree. He had 97% active time for searing totem and to get 6% you need flametongue down.
    Not really sure what could be bugging it. The only other way to possibly tell what it could be is a log of a fight to see what would be causing it at all. The only reason I can think of your Ebon Imp gaining it, is because pet's don't gain raid buffs anymore as it's all based on players stats now and could be why.

Just saw that it was actually there for some of the log

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9...omk/details/9/

Going to identify when exactly.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2011-02-28 at 05:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand: Buffs gained does not cover buffs you had before combat began, which in this case is Demonic Pact. If you had your pet out and no one ran out of range, the buff will not show up.

Though it would be interesting if ebon imps double dipped the buff.

R.I.P. YARG

So in other words, because it is in fact an 'aura' (it responded to me selecting the 'aura' option in log browser anyway) it won't show up as 'buffs gained'. So why on earth does it always show up on other people's logs? It's just weird; are we actually getting the buff then even though it doesn't show up on the logs? I have no actual proof of it after all apart from just setting up a power aura or something.

So in other words, because it is in fact an 'aura' (it responded to me selecting the 'aura' option in log browser anyway) it won't show up as 'buffs gained'. So why on earth does it always show up on other people's logs? It's just weird; are we actually getting the buff then even though it doesn't show up on the logs? I have no actual proof of it after all apart from just setting up a power aura or something.
    Question. Are you looking under Aura's and it shows it? Or are you looking at buffs and not seeing it and thinking it's not there. It used to be pre 3.3.5 I think that it was considered a "buff" due to how it was activated it. After that (or it might've been in 4.01 with the talent changes) it was converted to an "aura" much like Unleashed Rage, Abomination's Might, or Concentration Aura. As they are always on the caster themselves. I would suggest looking through the log and see if those buff's appear as well. Unleashed/Abom will be aura's, but if Blessing of Might is up then it will be a buff.

Hopefully this helps some.

Edit: It could also be something on World of Logs end not handling the auras/buff's properly

Moonkin aura and resistance aura are listed under 'buffs gained'.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I see:
    [20:50:11.318] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 7956
    [20:50:11.653] Ebon Imp's Demonic Pact fades from Hamflaps
    [20:50:12.579] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 7846
    Jenerena dies in here.
    [20:50:16.493] Orikkazul's Demonic Pact fades from Hamflaps
    [20:50:18.612] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 6937
    [20:50:22.539] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 6924
    [20:50:23.414] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 6906
    [20:50:34.243] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 6897
    Jenerena is ressurected
    [20:50:36.939] Hamflaps gains Demonic Pact from Orikkazul
    [20:50:37.423] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 7393
    [20:50:38.653] Hamflaps Sunfire Vile Swill 7460

Doesn't look conclusive enough to me, assuming Hamflaps was the target of your DI.

---------- Post added 2011-02-28 at 10:07 AM ----------

I think if we get enough steam here I'm just going to post a bug on the forums - Ebon Imp should never grant Demonic Pact, or at least it should not overwrite the existing one you have.

R.I.P. YARG

Moonkin aura and resistance aura are listed under 'buffs gained'.
    After looking at the log more I think I see how World of Logs is interpreting it.

Start of fight all players are together and thus have DP. Fight begins tank runs out of range of DP thus losing it. Once the tank comes back in range he "gains buff of DP". This is where you see the gain of DP.

Another scenario is Player A dies and is resurrected, once Player A is revived then Player A "gains buff of DP". The site will show a "buff gain" in the event of someone dying, zoning in/out, running out of range, or spec swaps. So the aura is indeed actually on the players majority of the time providing they are in range and alive. The reason you see Ebon Imp gaining so much is because it's constantly being summoned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and it is applying its own aura to other people for 0 dps gain, and when it dies it is removed but the original buff is still there.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Yes, and it is applying its own aura to other people for 0 dps gain, and when it dies it is removed but the original buff is still there.
    If you read the actual tooltip of the Demonic Pact you will see that it is currently working as they intended and you are not losing any dps. The reason being is that the Ebon Imp is a "summoned" pet, thus it grants Demonic Pact for a 10% spellpower gain. When it dies you go back to the other demon's Demonic Pact. This way you are losing zero dps. Until Blizzard changes the way Ebon Imp works it will continue to do this. The same happens with the Infernal and Doomguard.

Short version. You are losing zero dps and it's nothing to worry about. It's on Blizzard's end on how the log's and system handles the Guardians and Ebon Imps. Once they change them then this issue won't show up.

Deleted
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so far.

I've been going through this with Jen (Hamflaps Moonkin here) and I've got some fraps footage lying around from some older kills. The Twilight Ascendant Council kill shows me having Demonic Pact as the pull starts, then through the fight until about 1min 30secs into it - I lose the DP buff and a few seconds later as the camera pans around, we can see that the ebon imp is active.

About 15 seconds later, the DP buff reappears - but it's not clear from the video as to exactly when the imp spawned and despawned. Will dig around and try to find a log that corresponds to the video in question.

---------- Post added 2011-02-28 at 06:49 PM ----------

In addition to this, our video'd Nefarian kill has a log with it which shows me having 100% DP uptime - and Jen had Ebon Imp at some point(s) during the fight, according to the Log.

From looking at the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fHGFeaQiE you can see the DP icon is active before the pull, and it never drops off.

The inconsistency is weird, I've looked at Fraps footage to identify any logging errors with WoL - but it seems to be accurate, which means some fights we're losing DP - and to be fair, it's the ONLY reason I ask Jen to spec Demo - her personal DPS is far better as Destruction, and if we're not getting the full benefit of DP for whatever reason - it raises the question as to whether Demo is worth bringing!

Do you have more consistent data? I just sat in Orgrimmar on my Demonology lock and fought the dummy keep Bane of Doom up the entire time and never once lost DP when Ebon Imp came out nor did the other person in my party (just to make sure it ignored the lock).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Do you have more consistent data?
    Nope, unfortunately not. We can't reliably replicate this, and trying to find previous instances of it where we've got Fraps footage available to verify the WoL data is proving difficult.

I think going forward it would be worth both Jen and myself making a ridiculous power aura to help monitor the uptime/downtime of DP - and if it proves incosistent on a particular fight, I'll hit my Fraps hotkey and we'll make a note to analyse afterwards.

It seems unlikely that this 'bug' or whatever it is to have gone unnoticed until now, and we've seen no report of it anywhere else - but is this representative of the demo population right now? Who knows, but I would have thought somebody had caught onto this before we did. If it's unique to our raids, then we really could do to find out what is causing it - but I'm coming up blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammonflaps View Post
    Nope, unfortunately not. We can't reliably replicate this, and trying to find previous instances of it where we've got Fraps footage available to verify the WoL data is proving difficult.

I think going forward it would be worth both Jen and myself making a ridiculous power aura to help monitor the uptime/downtime of DP - and if it proves incosistent on a particular fight, I'll hit my Fraps hotkey and we'll make a note to analyse afterwards.

It seems unlikely that this 'bug' or whatever it is to have gone unnoticed until now, and we've seen no report of it anywhere else - but is this representative of the demo population right now? Who knows, but I would have thought somebody had caught onto this before we did. If it's unique to our raids, then we really could do to find out what is causing it - but I'm coming up blank.
    First step is to find out what differences there were in the raids. Try to replicate the exact same thing then do multiple testings. Even if it was reported to Blizzard they can't do anything about it unless they have an idea of how to replicate it. Simply saying DP is bugged it's up sometimes and sometimes not with the Ebon Imp, doesn't help much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you taking these parses from individual fights, or from the entire log? WoL will not show buffs as 'gained' if they were up before the log started, and lasted until after the log concluded; I've noticed this with both Fel Armor and Demonic Pact. They're simply not listed, due to their persistence meaning they don't actually appear as text in the part of the log you're looking at.

Individual fights. Some specific attempts I don't have DP there at all. Unless I misunderstand you...