Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Love it ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_One View Post
    My mate shared this with me, so i thought i'd post it here
    Yes you picture about sums it up.

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 08:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    unfortunately there isn't actually 11.5 Players of this game, Subscriptions, possibly but take a look at these links then maybe repost a more accurate representation of that. it's in 2 parts so read it and realize there isn't 11.5 million players at all.

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/02/a...ed-part-1.html

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/02/a...ed-part-2.html
    Ever how interesting that link is, it is not Scientific.

What we know for fact is the number of Subscribers, what we do not know is how many people play multiple accounts, and how many people Multi-Box.

It would be nice to know these numbers but arbitrarily saying twenty percent of the accounts are secondary accounts as a fact is ridiculous. since there has been no studies on this and Blizzard has never given out user information. It might be close to that be we can't say its fact.

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xandamere View Post
    Some of those numbers may well be correct. Others are so far off it's absolutely baffling. WoW does not have anywhere NEAR 62% market share share of the "MMORPG market." Maybe, MAYBE they have a 62% share of the North American market, but there are Chinese games with millions of players out there as well (check the annual reports at Google Finance for companies like Shanda Interactive, NetEase, Changyou, Perfect World, and Gigamedia).
    What you say is correct but at the same time the Chinese only games are just that, where as the games listed are internationally Available games. Also the Free To Play Games are not listed, if so it would List RuneScape as the Worlds number 2 MMO with 10 million Subs, and most of those are one player per sub.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2011-03-02 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    What you say is correct but at the same time the Chinese only games are just that, where as the games listed are internationally Available games. Also the Free To Play Games are not listed, if so it would List RuneScape as the Worlds number 2 MMO with 10 million Subs, and most of those are one player per sub.
    Uh, it does list Runescape.
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandamere View Post
    Uh, it does list Runescape.
    Well Here is the best information I can get, by all means its not 100% correct.

for a better version on Picassa
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_T...2/image001.png
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2011-03-02 at 05:11 AM.

Lol. I like how it has "Sims" even though it's at 0.

10+ Year Old Account
    thats because I couldn't find the numbers... I should have given it my default 100k because for a MMO to stay open it needs a min 100k players unless as its a special case where the players obtain the right to keep the servers running which happened with Dark Sun. and a couple of small MMOs which the Fans basically own the game even though the company doesn't support it.

Ohhh, ok. So you made it with stats you found yourself. It's a pretty complete/well done chart. Kind of sad seeing some of the games I remember from long ago that seemed pretty awesome at the time be so low pop now.

I actually think more girls than that play actually. I was once in a heroic during WotLK as the tank and as it turned out, the 2 randoms were female too (or so claimed) as well as the 2 guildies with me. Never have my arsecheeks been so clenched as for some reason I tried to do a perfect Halls of Stone run where most of the time, I would have fell asleep halfway through. -shrug-
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Pretty sure warcraft started as the rts not rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something to keep in mind in all this is that simply put, there's only so many people who play or would be willing to play the games. At some point, growth in terms of unique consumers will plateau out to whatever percentage of people play the game out of the total population respective to population growth rate.

Like, TVs for example. There's not a lot of people in the US buying TVs that have never bought or owned TVs before. So companies compete against each other to steal consumers where as WoW (like the first TVs) created a consumer base. At some point, the pool will stop growing. Honestly- I'd say it has.

Anyways. My point is just to keep in mind that the likely reality would be for a game to hit close to WoW's sub base, they would have to steal it from WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Interesting graph, Gothicshark. I think yours looks a lot more accurate than the one from the original post. I can spot a couple of games that are absent that should be on there, but they're small...looks like you hit all of the major ones that I'm aware of. Looks very up to date as well, given that Rift is on there. Mind if I ask where you found all the data?
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

and think, this is outdated.
    cata out sold wrath.
    and blizz is working to expand its localizations.
    also it forgot Vin Diesel, who not only plays WoW played DnD.

Gothicshark's posted chart is the most accurate on numbers.
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-03-02 at 06:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder what the second and third most played races are?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    i wonder what the second and third most played races are?
    Blood elf and orc/night elf? They have the highest resemblance to humans. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Blood elf and orc/night elf? They have the highest resemblance to humans. :P
    last i checked dreanei were rather well liked as well, not counting the deluge of more mature fan art.
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-03-02 at 07:16 AM.

0________________________0
    Cameron Diaz and Mila Kunis shocked me, Mila plays Alliance apparently
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8WT3lVe80

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echohunter View Post
    1/5 players are female? I call shenanigans!
    Funny note in the raid we have for tonight 5 out of 25 is female :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I used
    http://mmodata.blogspot.com/2010/01/...n-27-live.html
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MMORPGs

since neither has been updated since 2010 its hard to estimate, with rift I was going on the Pre-sale numbers that they released.

I made sure to add in the popular FTP and Chinese only games, I was going for honest and close.

the Chart is based on these numbers, I set the unknown to 100,000 since that is the minimum to stay in business.

• Game No. of players
    1. Age of Conan 150,000
    2. (China) Ask Tao 1,000,000
    3. Anarchy Online 12000
    4. Asheron's Call 15,000
    5. Aion 3,500,000
    6. Champions 100,000
    7. City of Heroes 200,000
    8. Conquer Online 100,000
    9. DarkSpace 100,000
    10. Dark Age of Camelot 100,000
    11. Dofus 1,500,000
    12. Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach 100,000
    13. EVE Online 350,000
    14. EverQuest 200,000
    15. EverQuest II 185,000
    16. Final Fantasy XI 500,000
    17. (China) Fantasy Westward 2,550,000
    18. Guild Wars 6,000,000
    19. Knight Online 1,000,000
    20. (China) Legend of Mir II 450,000
    21. Lineage 1,300,000
    22. Lineage II 1,300,000
    23. The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar 100,000
    24. MapleStory 500,000
    25. Perfect World 100,000
    26. Pirates of the Burning Sea 100,000
    27. Planet Side 30,000
    28. Ragnarok Online 100,000
    29. Rift: Planes of Telara 1,400,000
    30. Rise: The Vieneo Province 4000
    31. RuneScape 10,000,000
    32. Second Life 110,000
    33. Sims 0
    34. Star Wars Galaxies 100,000
    35. Star Trek Online 100,000
    36. (China) Tian Long Ba Bu 900,000
    37. Tibia 90,000
    38. toontown 100,000
    39. Ultima Online 100,000
    40. Vendetta Online 100,000
    41. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning 300,000
    42. (China) Westward Journey 1,100,000
    43. WonderKing Online 300,000
    44. World of Warcraft 12,500,000
    45. (China) Zhengtu Online 2,250,000
    • Total Counted Subscriptions 51,096,000

Bold for Games Doing Really well, Blue for games doing good, Olive for games just holding on.

(Games for the Chinese Market Only in red)
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2011-03-02 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    When Blizzard states 'we have 11.5 million active subscriptions,' they are doing so under penalty of law. The statement is made not to us, the players, but to shareholders. If they lie on such statements, it's considered a federal crime. So I'm more apt to believe Blizzard than a blogger who has little to no credibility.

EDIT: Especially a blogger that's using extrapolated data from addons, anecdotal evidence, and figures that are 'peak number of players' as final numbers. He states that the peak number of players on Chinese servers was around.. 3.2 million? That's not subscriptions, that's people playing at once, and yet, he goes on to treat that as if it accounted for every single Chinese WoW player.
    They do have that many subscriptions. That does not mean that each one of them are unique people. That includes Multi-Boxers, gold farmers, internet cafes, and the people in china, which is over half of all subscriptions, and they have a totally different subscription method period.

Theres no way of telling the exact number of players, but one thing is for certain.. It's not 12 million.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-03-02 at 10:27 AM.

bigger than new york city?

it's official. we all need to move into one massive city together and live. we shall name it: azeroth.
    moderators removed my signature picture because they can't get Glad like me.

Haters Gonna Hate