10+ Year Old Account

Question Game Development/ Software Development?

I am considering a career in Game Dev/Software development on the .NET platform. Since i know you guys have a lot of experience in some of these areas. What are the prerequisite's for Game Dev/Software Dev. I am a intermediate C# programmer btw and i have some bad habits. mostly hard coding >.>. I also am afraid games Dev is a bad field to get into because of surplus of people trying to get into the field/Lack of true talent in the field. Ethier way i LOVE TO CODE, its one of my true passions. nothing is more rewarding then the final product of that block of code to start to work, and the whole thing gets working.

So what do you guys thing? Is game Dev worth it? Or should i go reg software dev? thanks in advance, oh and mods feel free to move this post if i put it in the wrong place
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Get a proper education to begin with. Or know the right people.

C# is not exactly the best choice if you actually want to pursue a career (Maybe par XBox games with XNA, not sure if there's much of a market for it though). It's fine for doing some tetris clones and shit a bit easier than you would do with C++, but it's not as powerful in other areas.

But whatever you decide, start practicing. Instead of browsing forums, make your first tetris clone. And tic tac toe. And pong. And start getting rid of the bad habits like hard coding, it's easier to do it now than after 10 years of doing so. There are also plenty of books about game programming and game mathematics (which is _VERY_ improtant). I hope you don't think 3D games will be just funny line drawing, it's hard ass mathematics.

Personally, I also thought I'd want to be game programmer few years back, made some simple 2D and even a little 3D game. Then I realized it's not as fun as you might think in the first place, and thought fuck that. I rather play the games, and just develop regular software.

Deleted
    I have a few mates that works with game development and for example; working on a shader-calculator for half a year is not as fun as it sounds like... math, math and more math.