Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Any suggestions? Help?

Hey, i'm going to make my own first gaming computer because this one was premade and is over 3 years old with the graphics card etc, and I notice new games are lagging heaps on it.

So what I have right now is...

Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9500GT
    Ram:4gb
    CPU:Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200 @ [2.5ghz]
    MotherBoard:ASUSTeK P5KPL-AM/PS (if it matters? Chipset = Intel P35/G33/G31)
    BIOS:(if it matters?) American Megatrends Inc 0310
    Graphic Interface:(if it matters?)PCI-Express

I got that information from a program named CPU-Z so i'm not 100% sure if everything there is needed

So what im looking to get...
    - 64bit Windows 7
    - 6gb ram
    - Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz) FC-LGA10 CPU
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 580 [or 560]

But I am 0% sure about the motherboard AND psu :S before I ask the computer store about all this, i'd just like peoples opinions on this upgrade and about what motherboard would be good for all this AND anything else regarding what I am already getting above. (im probably not the best at computer making as you can probably tell...)

Thanks for reading

EDIT: budget is anything under $1500 AUS [im in australia if that helps]
    Last edited by icecruiser; 2011-03-07 at 06:48 AM.

Giving us a budget would help a ton.

Also with sandy bridge stuff you're either going to get 4gb or 8gb of ram, not 6.
    Last edited by Fligahgigook; 2011-03-07 at 06:53 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok, then its 8gb

i was thinking of just using ...

www.ibuypower.com

?

My preferred site is Pccasegear, its well priced on everything and postage is pretty cheap($44 for a whole system to near Sydney) and quite fast.
    Also you can have a look at StaticIce for price comparisons if you want to find the cheapest of everything(always take into account the cost of using a lot of different sites when it comes to postage).

Do you want to get a new Case? You can get a pretty good case for around $100, don't go too overboard with the case.
    What PSU is currently is the system you have at the moment? Its possible you could save it, but if your budget is $1500, i would just get a new 550-650W PSU, you want to look for one with a 80+ rating(go for something like 750+ if you do plan to upgrade to a SLI/X-fire config down the line).
    I would go for the i5 2500K, unless you do some heavy CPU tasks, you won't notice any difference between the i5 and i7 and you will save yourself $100.
    The GPU you have stated there is fine.
    You will want a P67 MoBo so that you can OC your CPU. Most brands are fine, just depends on what you want on your MoBo, whether you want 2 PCI-E for SLI/X-fire in the future, more USB3 ports, more SATA ports. Some brands have new BIOS that make it even easier to OC the CPU as well.
    You will want 8GB RAM(2x4GB), probably 1600 MHz is the way to go. Timings don't really matter and you wouldn't really notice a difference.
    I would also even look into a decently sized SSD, like 120GB or so, so that you can have your OS and Games on it for fast read times. Also get a 1TB HDD for everything else, something like the samsung spinpoint F3 is quite nice.
    DVD/Blu-Ray drive doesn't really matter, i would just get whatever suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by icecruiser View Post
    ok, then its 8gb

i was thinking of just using ...

www.ibuypower.com

?
    I wouldn't suggest getting stuff from an American site, the postage will probably kill whatever savings you make on the individual parts.
    Also, the Australian sector of ibuypower just got boned. The owner recently became bankrupt and ran away with w/e money people had payed him during the last few weeks of January/ early Feb. You can read about it all on whirlpool forums.
    Last edited by iSythe; 2011-03-07 at 07:17 AM.